Thread: Advise on Wedding Shots

Default Advise on Wedding Shots

Hi guys,

I am using a Canon 400D, with Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 28-135mm and Canon 10-22mm.
    Do you think I can help my friend take wedding pics with the above? All comments welcomed.
    Thanks

Default Re: Advise on Wedding Shots

Hi,
    Recently helped my friend to take photos for his solemnization. Hmm, i guess on top of the lenses you have, get a good flash for low light conditions. Maybe also do consider the lens to be used during the process. I doubt you got time to change lens as and when you want. Just my view. I am a newbie to event shooting too.
    Last edited by Yapster; 20th September 2007 at 03:38 PM.

the fundamentals of shooting weddings as follow:

#1, proficiency of basic photography.
    #2, understanding the rituals of wedding events.
    #3, using the right equipments.

hope you get the priority right.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by KiamH View Post
    Hi guys,

I am using a Canon 400D, with Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 28-135mm and Canon 10-22mm.
    Do you think I can help my friend take wedding pics with the above? All comments welcomed.
    Thanks
    I think they are enough just for helping out your friend.

The most important things to look out for are listed here. Enjoy yourself and try to be creative.

Hi there KiamH , if you could, have a flash unit itself ready

i shot mine with a 28-70 f2.8 , but on a nikon system,

from here , i see you've got some good equipment there, especially the wide angle lens- very useful.

however, do note that you might not have time to switch lenses so if it was me , id stick to the 10-22 , though i'd very much prefer a 17-50. dont mind me, im just voicing out my opinion

That is good enough
    Buying a DSLR/SLR does'nt make you a photographer, It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner :)

errr.... get lotz of spare batts and memory cards! shoot as much as possible and then filter the good ones hahaha...
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

Thanks to all for your help. There will be a real pro around, so I wont be so stressed out actually. How about just using the 50mm 1.4??

Quote Originally Posted by KiamH View Post
    Thanks to all for your help. There will be a real pro around, so I wont be so stressed out actually. How about just using the 50mm 1.4??
    should work fine. as long as u know where to stand (i.e. distance between u and subject). basics are still most impt. I usually shoot wedding using a 50 1.8 and a 17-50 2.8 on 2 seperate bodies to safe time changing lenses. well u know, once u miss it, u missed it. so u should balance between a good bokeh+sharpness (i assume ur prime is good) and the convi of having a zoom focal length, since u mentioned one body.

another way, is to borrow a prosumer that can cover ur other focal length when using the 50 1.4. example, ricoh gx100 (wide) and canon S5IS (telephoto).

hope this helps. have fun shooting.
    cameras are not made of tofu

If I am taking a group photo most likely at about 18-30mm, I will use a f/8 so what is the advantage of having a f/2.8 lens when most shots will require sharp pictures ?

Care to share
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    If I am taking a group photo most likely at about 18-30mm, I will use a f/8 so what is the advantage of having a f/2.8 lens when most shots will require sharp pictures ?

Care to share
    taken from here
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    in general, the sweet spot of a lens in two stops down, so the sweet spot of the a f2.8 lenses is at f5.6, and a f4.5 lenses is about f8.

beside, most f2.8 lenses are sharp enough when shooting wide open, but the most important things is the f2.8 lenses have better contrast and color reproduction compare to those f4.5 lenses.

another benefit of using a f2.8 lenses is you have a brighter view in your viewfinder.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Better Autofocusing as the af sensor can receive more light