Thread: Experience in obtaining official photo pass for live gigs?

Default Experience in obtaining official photo pass for live gigs?

As per topic.. anyone got experience to share?

Just be thick skin and approach the event organisers and/or the band management?

It sometimes really is quite frustrating to have to push and squeeze with the crowd. And making it worse is the no-photography imposed on the general public at certain events.

To be precise, I'm talking about concerts and live music performance variety. Not those model catwalk fashion events.
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 19th September 2007 at 08:49 PM.

Default Re: Experience in obtaining official photo pass for live gigs?

People normally don't just go up to the event organiser and ask for a pass. Official photographers will know the event organisers, gotten an invitation to shoot, then will have pass. You can try shooting for charity or school events. They are the easiest to get in. If not, you will probably have to be in the event or photography industry itself to have this kind of opportunity.

so how does one get into the whole business of shooting for concerts? i'm not a professional, just an nsf...but i have shot one or two concerts for my poly (including slipknot when they came down to singapore)those couple of times i did manage to get a pass, but that's because i was covering those events for assignments.. and i love it....most fun i've had while working...

but now that i'm out of school already...where does one go to if one still wants to carry on taking photos for concerts and all that...magazines? which mag would be a good choice to try? what if you want to be a freelancer?
    Last edited by agentmonkey; 19th September 2007 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

yes press and media get invited

What if you're neither the press nor media? Somewhat like what agentmonkey described.

Then you would have to be resourceful to open doors.

You'll be surprised how difficult, or how easy it can be once you get more experience in the game. But be prepared to have doors or phones slammed down on you, at least in the beginning.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 19th September 2007 at 11:30 PM.

just say in the event (pun) i do get an media pass for a concert, apart from the event organiser, who else can i peddle the photos to?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    just say in the event (pun) i do get an media pass for a concert, apart from the event organiser, who else can i peddle the photos to?
    it depends on where/how you got the photographer's pass and your agreement with them.
    but i'd advise not to even try.
    unless you don't want to ever shoot concerts again

trust me, you won't be earning much from purely shooting gigs in Singapore.

of course not purely, but it would be great wouldn't it, if you could combine your love for music and photography with paper to line your wallet with to pay off for other things you love like beer

Dream: Heh. I would be mentally prepared for that.

lurgee: Oh no, don't get me wrong, this isn't about the money. I mean if it turns out someone wants to buy the shots for commercial usage then well great. If not, it's fine.

But I suppose in return for getting the pass, it would entail some sort of... "deal".

agentmonkey: heh. i guess you are pretty much the same as me.

Yezrah: Uh.. charity and school events... I would doubt they have the kind of concerts I have in mind.

But tks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball

lurgee: Oh no, don't get me wrong, this isn't about the money. I mean if it turns out someone wants to buy the shots for commercial usage then well great. If not, it's fine.

But I suppose in return for getting the pass, it would entail some sort of... "deal".
    ahhh..icic..if there's where you're heading for then you'll would be fine. sometimes you do get free food and beer.
    but in anycase, cash in hand is always the best option i say.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    As per topic.. anyone got experience to share?

Just be thick skin and approach the event organisers and/or the band management?

It sometimes really is quite frustrating to have to push and squeeze with the crowd. And making it worse is the no-photography imposed on the general public at certain events.

To be precise, I'm talking about concerts and live music performance variety. Not those model catwalk fashion events.

For most gigs, concerts, press conferences etc, you need to be on assignment from a known magazine, PR Firm or newspaper in order to shot the event. I have had plenty of experience in this field, just in the last month and I can tell you, it's very difficult, if not impossible, for someone to walk off the streets and ask to shoot. The agents that brings the acts in will almost always request for your name and contact details prior to the event and it's done through the magazine, PR firm or newspaper that is covering the event itself. I witnessed one photographer who was with me at the BEP press conference, piss off the event organizer and when the same photographer went down to the Barclays Singapore Open Golf tournament to shoot, he was turned away. Reason being, his name was already blacklisted even though it was a completely different organizer. Word of advice is get hired by someone to shoot the event and don't make a bad name for yourself. Once you do, that's it. Do a great job and it will open the doors for you. I shot one event, a concert, and my work was seen by someone and before you knew it my name was passed around and I was shooting a lot more events. Good luck to you.

Thanks

I just got my first pass for a show on 15 Dec.(though not in SG). Hopefully my portfolio would be good enough to stick a foot in the door of the mags (printed/online) bythe time I am back in a couple of years.
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 27th November 2007 at 09:49 PM.

Congrats on getting a press pass. Not an easy thing to get but once you get in the front door, it's so much easier here on out. Good luck!