Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A $50 parking fine escalated to almost $10,000

Default Re: A $50 parking fine escalated to almost $10,000

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    (My apologies, didn't the article link halfway down the thread)
    Isn't that picture like taken just for the article? The article makes no mention if that's the usual way he parks. Who will park his car with the gates wide open like that? Especially if he's got dogs that are free to run around and bite on his license park. I may be wrong, but maybe his usual way of parking is closer to his gate?

But if he parks like the way in the picture, then yes, I agree he's obstructing the traffic. From the arrow in the ground, he's taking up half the lane already.
    But ppl really park outside their house like that, at many places... so that the gate can be fully opened... they dun park close to the gate coz if want to open the gate fully it will bang the car.

Hey whats the big deal?
    i quote: "In fact, he has been parking in front of his home in Marshall Road, in Katong, since he moved there in 2003 without incident.

So when he was issued his first parking summons for parking in the same spot on 23 May, 2006, he thought it was a mistake.
    "While waiting for his appeal, he received another $50 summons for the same offence.

And in his efforts to clarify the situation he contacted the Land Transport Authority and his Member of Parliament.

He was told to "seek redress in court," which he did in April last year, as he felt it was against his principles to just pay the fines like that."

He was fined again while waiting for appeal reply...like wth!?!??

furthermore, he does not seem to be "obstructing" anyone luh. it cant be that bad.

Anyway, if it was me, i'd do the same as he did, 10k? well, its Principles.

Quote Originally Posted by CSlye View Post
    Moral of the story … try not to own a car here to avoid troubles … and also the law and the authority behind it always win … u think is a jury system here or wat? Kekeke
    If you are not filthy rich and famous, nobody really cares, death is just another statistic or you are just another statisic, nobody gives a damn! But I really respect and salute that man who went all the way to appeal.
    Last edited by Sniper ShutterBug; 20th September 2007 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    I don't understand why people have such ill will towards this guy?
    He stood up for his principles. He resorted to legal action only after consultation even with his MP.
    The court has given some sort of confusing statement that is debate-able.
    And yet you think it's better to kowtow even when this guy may actually be in the right?

It's a sad day when people don't feel that standing up for principles have any value anymore....
    My humblest reply to that....

This is Singapore, no one who goes to court against the govt or govt linked agencies or ministers etc has ever won..... Not implying anything but well if you want to stand up for your principals and go to court for this? well be prepared to pay the consequences...... Really not surprised he gets a even heavier fine after court of appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post

This is Singapore, no one who goes to court against the govt or govt linked agencies or ministers etc has ever won..... Not implying anything but well if you want to stand up for your principals and go to court for this? well be prepared to pay the consequences...... Really not surprised he gets a even heavier fine after court of appeal.
    Well, if its within affordibility, why not? PRINCIPLES.

suing the gov will never do any help
    he could just pay the fine and the extra summon fine and give the story to the new paper then get commission ha ha
    like that he won lost money and can make bad face to the other party.

The prosecution stated: "It is immaterial whether the vehicle is parked against or not against any lines drawn by LTA. So long as the vehicle is not parked in a designated parking lot, it is an offence."
    most private housing estates do not have designated parking lot. So how? No visitors and no cars? I've never seen any house with a designated parking lot.

Someone mentioned about outside being meant for temporary parking. It doesn't matter, the warden doesn't care, as long as your car happen to be there when he's around, the ticket will be there.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    most private housing estates do not have designated parking lot. So how? No visitors and no cars? I've never seen any house with a designated parking lot.

Someone mentioned about outside being meant for temporary parking. It doesn't matter, the warden doesn't care, as long as your car happen to be there when he's around, the ticket will be there.
    who say it doesn't matter? alamak, I parking for 10 years already near my wife's parents place, NEVER had a single ticket b4.

You know why that guy got a ticket? BECAUSE HE GOT A CAR PARK INSIDE HIS HOUSE AND HE PARKS OUTSIDE 12HOURS A DAY SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. neighbour finds that his car blocks the road UNECESSARILY and complain.

If you are a visitor, NOBODY wiil complain you.

I find that the people here anyhow support one. As long go against the governent sure is good one..... what sort of PRINCIPLES are you guys talking about? being incosiderate to other people?????

common, imagine you staying in landed property and ALL your neighbours decide to park their cars outside. You know how difficult to drive or not, or for visitor to visit. Please be considerate to your neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post

I'm sorry to say, you are wrong on this. IDA lost its case against Singtel, that's just one example. Then there's also the asthmatic woman who sued the Traffic Police for revoking her driving licence and won, and also some people who have sued IRAS successfully on income tax matters.

Lets just say that, as long as the case is not political, you still have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    who say it doesn't matter? alamak, I parking for 10 years already near my wife's parents place, NEVER had a single ticket b4.

You know why that guy got a ticket? BECAUSE HE GOT A CAR PARK INSIDE HIS HOUSE AND HE PARKS OUTSIDE 12HOURS A DAY SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. neighbour finds that his car blocks the road UNECESSARILY and complain.

I find that the people here anyhow support one. As long go against the governent sure is good one..... what sort of PRINCIPLES are you guys talking about? being incosiderate to other people?????

common, imagine you staying in landed property and ALL your neighbours decide to park their cars outside. You know how difficult to drive or not, or for visitor to visit. Please be considerate to your neighbours.
    not sure.. maybe he had the same line of though as you.. park 6 years no prob.. maybe your turn haven't come yet?

I'm not anti gov't or what. But the statement by the prosecutor irks me ""It is immaterial whether the vehicle is parked against or not against any lines drawn by LTA. So long as the vehicle is not parked in a designated parking lot, it is an offence." Am I right to say even if I parked in a single yellow line I'm also liable for a ticket since it isn't a parking lot.

Anyone drive by Singapore Casket regularly? the whole left lane is parked with cars everyday for 12 hours a day 7 days a week because it is a single yellow line there and it isn't a designated parking lot. so how?
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 20th September 2007 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    But the statement by the prosecutor irks me ""It is immaterial whether the vehicle is parked against or not against any lines drawn by LTA. So long as the vehicle is not parked in a designated parking lot, it is an offence." Am I right to say even if I parked in a single yellow line I'm also liable for a ticket since it isn't a parking lot.
    Already said it's posturing.

Rich people lah.
    Too much $$$ liao.
    Pay $10,000 to save $50.
    Why not use the $10,000 on some other expenditure instead of fattening your lawyer's wallets?

Principles is standing up for something which he did, which i strongly support. Anyway, the weird part is the scary escalation of $ and that he was still kena-fined even though waiting for appeal and stuff. so by clarifying the matter, he was fined even more! -.-

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Rich people lah.
    Too much $$$ liao.
    Pay $10,000 to save $50.
    Why not use the $10,000 on some other expenditure instead of fattening your lawyer's wallets?
    hey, its sounds discriminating. Rich people so? you not happy? anyway, it isnt about the money, its about principles. sometimes, when we cannot afford it , we swallow our saliva even though we may be wrong. but if you can bring the matter to court to get it of your chest, why not?

His neighbours actually submitted a letter supporting his case and his choice to park outside.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

You taking things out of context. Firstly, there's no way to tell that he got a ticket because his neighbours complained. Even if his neighbour complained, isn't it a more civil way for his neighbours to just bring up the issue with him directly? I don't see how complaining to the authorities is any more considerate. He may REALLY not realised that he's inconveniencing people. But that's beside the point.

Standing up for your principles doesn't mean whether you go against the government. It simply means standing up for what he believes is right. As I mentioned earlier, even if what other people thinks he's wrong.

May I add in my comments since I feel strongly about this matter. Many, many years ago (over 20), I was also issued with a summons for parking in an unauthorised parking lot. This lot was (and is) a proper parking lot but on that day, the road was re-surfaced and the parking bay lines were, of course, covered. And so it became an unauthorised parking lot and I got a ticket! I felt very indignant about this and went to see a lawyer. We poured over the various Acts, precedents, etc. and came to a conclusion that under S'pore laws, which ever lot is not authorised as a parking lot, it is an unauthorised parking lot and you can be summoned for this. It was silly to fight it then, even on principles, and it proves in this case that it was very silly to fight this case even now. So I hope you fellow CSers, remember this story and refrain from parking any old how!

However what really makes my blood boil re this case is that the lawyer did not tell his client about this law. And the lawyer charged him $8,000! If what I know about lawyers' fees, an ordinary lawyer would have only charged him about $1,000 or thereabouts. Wrong advice and exorbitant fees, IMHO. Unless of course the client really insisted on going to Court against his advice in which case then, the client fully deserves whatever he got!

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    hey, its sounds discriminating. Rich people so? you not happy? anyway, it isnt about the money, its about principles. sometimes, when we cannot afford it , we swallow our saliva even though we may be wrong. but if you can bring the matter to court to get it of your chest, why not?
    He who has $10,000 to fight over $50 fine can go ahead & fight over principles.
    Where did I post that I am not happy over this?
    He can choose to fatten his lawyer's wallets or can spend the $10,000 somewhere else but he chose the first.
    Last edited by foxwagon; 21st September 2007 at 12:33 AM.

i think many is missing the point here.. it isn't just about a single $50 fine.. it means that every single day as long as he stays there and parks his car outside he's going to be getting a $50 fine. $10K / $50 a day works to just 200days.

Anyway, at the end of the day, whether the lawyer really charge him $10K we will never know. It's a private arrangement between him and his lawyer. You can't expect the lawyer to say "I'm taking this case up for free to build up my portfolio" right?

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    You taking things out of context. Firstly, there's no way to tell that he got a ticket because his neighbours complained. Even if his neighbour complained, isn't it a more civil way for his neighbours to just bring up the issue with him directly? I don't see how complaining to the authorities is any more considerate. He may REALLY not realised that he's inconveniencing people. But that's beside the point.

Standing up for your principles doesn't mean whether you go against the government. It simply means standing up for what he believes is right. As I mentioned earlier, even if what other people thinks he's wrong.
    Legally he will be fined even he is appealing and he continues to park the car at that spot. Put it this way, parking there was deemed not legal in the first place, so when you are appealing, you should not park it at that spot. You are only asking for it.

As for the part about neighbours not wanting to confront him. Well its a psychological and Asian trait. We then to be non confrontational and rather that we get a third party to confront the offending party on our behalf. In HDB flats, we go to RC or TC. Private housing? We go to police. It is really very common. Example, I am sure most of you would have experienced or heard of experiences of house parties that lasted past 11 or just barely past 12? And next thing u know? Police knocking on the door? Ever wondered who called them? Neighbours of course.... ever wondered why it's obviously neighbours staying really near you but why they dont want to just knock on your door and tell you "ehhhhh its quite late. Please keep the volume down?" Go figure...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast