Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    56

    Default Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    I've been using a Canon Powershot A530 for the past year and half. And I want to upgrade to something better. But I know my limitations and I definitely won't be able to handle a DSLR. So I would like to ask if there's any recommendations for a point and shoot camera with really awesome macro abilities since I love taking closeup photos.

    Thanks!

    Forgot to mention, I would prefer something along the Canon range since that's what I'm used too ^^ But I quite like the Lumix prosumer range as well.
    Last edited by verityshu; 18th September 2007 at 12:22 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    canon powershot sX series
    can get secondhand s3 is or s5 is
    both have 0cm macro ability at widest end, i think
    and can always attach closeup filters for more power

    will be slightly larger in size compared to your powershot a5xx though

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Thanks night86mare, I was considering the Canon S5 too ^^

    Am also considering the Panasonic Lumix FZ8 as it's more within my budget. I know that it generates a lot of noise when used at high ISO but is it good enough for excellent, clean macro shots? Anyone using a FZ8? Can comment? I checked through the forum but doesn't seem like much people are using it!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    Thanks night86mare, I was considering the Canon S5 too ^^

    Am also considering the Panasonic Lumix FZ8 as it's more within my budget. I know that it generates a lot of noise when used at high ISO but is it good enough for excellent, clean macro shots? Anyone using a FZ8? Can comment? I checked through the forum but doesn't seem like much people are using it!
    panasonic does not have noise problem
    panasonic has too little noise, in fact, that is the trouble
    let me explain , all prosumers will not be good at high iso save the fujifilm series, because of better noise control
    but panasonic overcomes this with an overly aggressive noise reduction algorithm
    so you don't have noise per se, looks good on paper
    but you don't have detail either, heh

    panasonic's advantages are the extremely good lens (which i feel, as always, undermined by panasonic's poor image processing handling in-cam) and good image stabilisation, one of the best out there

    maybe you could try asking in panny forums, might get better response there, though take whatever you see with a pinch of salt since panny users would usually er, support panny, i guess

  5. #5

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    Thanks night86mare, I was considering the Canon S5 too ^^

    Am also considering the Panasonic Lumix FZ8 as it's more within my budget. I know that it generates a lot of noise when used at high ISO but is it good enough for excellent, clean macro shots? Anyone using a FZ8? Can comment? I checked through the forum but doesn't seem like much people are using it!

    hi.. im on the FZ8..

    yeah.. the noise is quite bad when using higher ISO..

    but getting clean macro shots should not be a problem.

    here's some shots of mine.. still new to macro though..

    http://clubsnap.com/forums/showthrea...th+my+prosumer
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    night86mare>> Thanks for taking the time to explain. One of the things I like about Lumix is the lens too. Friend has a FZ5 and she takes really fantastic still-photos with it. Of course, she did warn me about noise at high ISO levels but I'll be mainly using my cam under natural light so hopefully, I can avoid these highlighted Lumix problems!

    reaper3075>> Hey, those are some nice macro shots! The insects look like they're about to jump right at you~~~ Hmmm, thanks! I feel better about the Lumix FZ8 now. Think I'll be joining the panny gang soon, lol.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    night86mare>> Thanks for taking the time to explain. One of the things I like about Lumix is the lens too. Friend has a FZ5 and she takes really fantastic still-photos with it. Of course, she did warn me about noise at high ISO levels but I'll be mainly using my cam under natural light so hopefully, I can avoid these highlighted Lumix problems!

    reaper3075>> Hey, those are some nice macro shots! The insects look like they're about to jump right at you~~~ Hmmm, thanks! I feel better about the Lumix FZ8 now. Think I'll be joining the panny gang soon, lol.
    yep, when i was using my h2 in the past i permanently kept it at iso 100/80 as well
    i suppose it's good practise, until you eventually get a dslr, then you can expand your possibilities

    i doubt you would ever go above iso 100, there is sometimes noise present at 80/100 already, let alone 200/400

  8. #8

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    night86mare>> Thanks for taking the time to explain. One of the things I like about Lumix is the lens too. Friend has a FZ5 and she takes really fantastic still-photos with it. Of course, she did warn me about noise at high ISO levels but I'll be mainly using my cam under natural light so hopefully, I can avoid these highlighted Lumix problems!

    reaper3075>> Hey, those are some nice macro shots! The insects look like they're about to jump right at you~~~ Hmmm, thanks! I feel better about the Lumix FZ8 now. Think I'll be joining the panny gang soon, lol.

    thanks.

    yeah.. dont think u need to worry about the high ISO noise problem if ur into macro or outdoor day photos.. my ISO setting has always been at the lowest..

    unless of course ur secretly planning to be an event photographer or somethin
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  9. #9
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    I've been using a Canon Powershot A530 for the past year and half. And I want to upgrade to something better. But I know my limitations and I definitely won't be able to handle a DSLR. So I would like to ask if there's any recommendations for a point and shoot camera with really awesome macro abilities since I love taking closeup photos.

    Thanks!

    Forgot to mention, I would prefer something along the Canon range since that's what I'm used too ^^ But I quite like the Lumix prosumer range as well.
    How about waiting for the Up Coming - Canon PowerShot A650 IS.

    Canon PowerShot A650 IS Preview

    Maybe this will suit ur need. Goodluck.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I'm happy to announce I made my decision and bought a cam already

  11. #11

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I'm happy to announce I made my decision and bought a cam already
    which one?

    grats!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    which one?

    grats!
    Thanks night86mare! I went with the Lumix FZ8 in the end. Already took it out for some test shots and posted a few here: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...54#post3406254

  13. #13

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    Thanks night86mare! I went with the Lumix FZ8 in the end. Already took it out for some test shots and posted a few here: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...54#post3406254
    looking good!

    hope to see more of your posting here, don't be afraid to post and listen to critique
    best way to improve: shoot, self-reflect and listen
    cheers!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    Thanks night86mare! I went with the Lumix FZ8 in the end. Already took it out for some test shots and posted a few here: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...54#post3406254
    Congrats and welcome to the club!

    lookin good there ur photos..
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Another which camera to get thread, sorry!

    night86mare>> Cheers back! Thanks for the encouragement too Sometimes can be a bit daunting to post photos here but I will definitely keep an open mind about critiques. It's a good way to improve onself, yah.

    reaper3075>> Thanks!! Poring over the manual to see the different stuff I can do with the FZ8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •