Thread: If you shoot for free........

Default If you shoot for free........

and be a volunteer photographer without getting paid, then lose your rights to all the picture for that organisation you volunteered for. Is this a norm?

Blog Entries

Default Re: If you shoot for free........

the T&C will have to be agreeable by both parties
    if you do not agree by their T&C then

1. don't shoot
    2. submit your own T&C

Quote Originally Posted by sigg View Post
    and be a volunteer photographer without getting paid, then lose your rights to all the picture for that organisation you volunteered for. Is this a norm?
    If I choose to do it for free and it is a voluteer thingy..I never offer any Terms or Conditions. I let them do as they will with what I shoot. Have done alot of that kind of work.

But if you feel you need to safeguard some keep of control over your photos or services as a photographer be it for covering certain cost, reprint orders or just preserving the acknowledgement and credit that you are the photographer then it would be good to make a submission of those terms and condition prior to the event you are shooting so there are no surprise after which.

Free does not always mean you lose total control. There can still be middle grounds you can take.

I usualy grant a non-exlcusive limited license that requires the organisation to give me credit in anyway they use my photos but at the same time I retain full copyrights. I will normaly ask them if its ok to use for portfolio of self-promotion use first though.

Misc costs like prints and rental of backup (if they so chose) are bourne by them and hopefully they can provide transport and 1 meal
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Thanks for the insight guys.

Just that, I do not understand that if one were to volunteer their time and effort for A company and even let them use the picture for free, but to want ownership of the picture as well is another thing

Got the point in DUN SHOOT