Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Which is a better crop?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singaporean stuck in Perth
    Posts
    44

    Default Which is a better crop?

    Here's the uncropped version:


    Which is better?

    #1 Slightly cropped to remove the light brown patch on the bottom right only or #2 Cropped away the large bottom patch too


    I know these are form of distractions but my feel of #2 is kinda weird... Where as #1 looks more natural. What you guys think?
    Last edited by SilverStallion; 17th September 2007 at 11:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    would be better to post them in smaller pics put side by side.

    take #1. the tight crop in #2 blows up the blown highlight too much without enough details to show. secondly i like a contrasting dark tone to project the subject more.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    A place where no man can enter
    Posts
    646

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    i will prefer #1....
    Photo is more balanced as compared to the second one

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    no offense meant, really
    but personally i would not crop, or keep the picture
    but it could be personal preference with regards to style

    if must choose, choose #1
    bokeh is very easy to clone out
    so just clone out the funny brown patch at bottom left
    will take time, but if you work hard at it you will get good at it
    and hardly able to tell

    reason - better placement of focal point - not blindly sticking to rule of thirds mind you
    i just find #1 much more interesting than #2

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singaporean stuck in Perth
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    would be better to post them in smaller pics put side by side.

    take #1. the tight crop in #2 blows up the blown highlight too much without enough details to show. secondly i like a contrasting dark tone to project the subject more.
    what's the ideal size to compare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teegongkia View Post
    i will prefer #1....
    Photo is more balanced as compared to the second one
    Thanks. I'm still very new to photography. Hope to gain more critiques.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no offense meant, really
    but personally i would not crop, or keep the picture
    but it could be personal preference with regards to style

    if must choose, choose #1
    bokeh is very easy to clone out
    so just clone out the funny brown patch at bottom left
    will take time, but if you work hard at it you will get good at it
    and hardly able to tell

    reason - better placement of focal point - not blindly sticking to rule of thirds mind you
    i just find #1 much more interesting than #2
    Mmmm... actually i wasn't really thinking about the rule of thirds... i just rely on my 'feel'... really need more practice... I'm using my original lens that comes together with my D50 and a magnifying add on which a friend gave me. Gave it a try this afternoon just outside the house. So as long as there's a flaw, just delete?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion View Post
    Mmmm... actually i wasn't really thinking about the rule of thirds... i just rely on my 'feel'... really need more practice... I'm using my original lens that comes together with my D50 and a magnifying add on which a friend gave me. Gave it a try this afternoon just outside the house. So as long as there's a flaw, just delete?
    not really in the sense that "so long as there's a flaw"
    i just don't find the picture interesting
    sometimes i take shots that i think will be interesting
    but i look at it and it is not
    so i delete it and do not take that shot again

    but like i said, it's personal preference, maybe i cannot see what is interesting in the shot, a lot of other people might, which is why i said "me" only

    otherwise definitely #1 works better for me, if i really had to choose

    hope you are not offended by expression of my viewpoint, and hope you do not get me wrong

    cheers!

  7. #7
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion View Post
    what's the ideal size to compare?
    supposedly you are putting 3 pics side to side, maybe width of 200-250px each, adds up to 600-750px in total, should be able to fit in most screens for most ppl, i guess.

    but what i mean is, more imptly, put them side by side, not one below the other (need to scroll).

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Forgive me but I don't quite see what you're trying to show in the picture.

    That big "X" against the colorful background is pretty nice but that leaf looks a bit out of place.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singaporean stuck in Perth
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    not really in the sense that "so long as there's a flaw"
    i just don't find the picture interesting
    sometimes i take shots that i think will be interesting
    but i look at it and it is not
    so i delete it and do not take that shot again

    but like i said, it's personal preference, maybe i cannot see what is interesting in the shot, a lot of other people might, which is why i said "me" only

    otherwise definitely #1 works better for me, if i really had to choose

    hope you are not offended by expression of my viewpoint, and hope you do not get me wrong

    cheers!
    oh no... don't worry, i am not offended at all. so dun think too much okie? i really need people to comment so that i can learn. i am very open to ideas. ^_^


    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    supposedly you are putting 3 pics side to side, maybe width of 200-250px each, adds up to 600-750px in total, should be able to fit in most screens for most ppl, i guess.

    but what i mean is, more imptly, put them side by side, not one below the other (need to scroll).
    okie. Will take note of that. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by grantyale View Post
    Forgive me but I don't quite see what you're trying to show in the picture.

    That big "X" against the colorful background is pretty nice but that leaf looks a bit out of place.
    to me, i'm pretty lax with composition. his is fine with me, as long as the leaf is too not big. however, the lack of texture on the leaf makes it rather a potential disruption, if it have good texture, at such size, very acceptable for me.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singaporean stuck in Perth
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by grantyale View Post
    Forgive me but I don't quite see what you're trying to show in the picture.

    That big "X" against the colorful background is pretty nice but that leaf looks a bit out of place.
    I thought so too... but somehow, the more i look at it, i just kept feeling that there's something about it leh.... not too sure what is that 'feeling'.... that's why i wanna post it up here to ask for opinions.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singaporean stuck in Perth
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    to me, i'm pretty lax with composition. his is fine with me, as long as the leaf is too not big. however, the lack of texture on the leaf makes it rather a potential disruption, if it have good texture, at such size, very acceptable for me.
    So the leaf in that photo is over exposed thus the lack of details?

    Erm... I'm a her.... lol...
    Last edited by SilverStallion; 18th September 2007 at 12:06 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion View Post
    I thought so too... but somehow, the more i look at it, i just kept feeling that there's something about it leh.... not too sure what is that 'feeling'.... that's why i wanna post it up here to ask for opinions.
    if you feel the need to analyse things seriously, you might have to go into compositional elements in fine art, and start thinking about point, lines, forms, textures, details, colors....

    macro shooters are often attracted by the bizarre colors, intricate details and texture. composition are mostly simple and one usually dun deal with complex compositions like that of a street shot. you are likely to be attracted to the narrow DOF and the romantic colors that are harmonious with each other (orange-yellow and pink - one of my favorite but such color combi are hard to find on travel for me).

    there is often different factorial aspects that one gets attracts to their fields, be it the majestic scale of perspective of the megastructure or the lovely expression of a bride on a wedding, some are related to compositional factors while others relate to the even behind it. once you know what attracts you, you can replicate it again and again producing different good shots.
    Last edited by zoossh; 18th September 2007 at 12:20 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion View Post
    So the leaf in that photo is over exposed thus the lack of details?

    Erm... I'm a her.... lol...
    yes. like the veins of the leaves, the dots and brittle edges from decomposition...do control them on macro.

    no wonder the color combinations - lovely colors.... like i said before elsewhere, such sensitivity is rarer in man.

    actually i presume the gender becos of your nick... stallion?
    Last edited by zoossh; 18th September 2007 at 12:19 AM.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singaporean stuck in Perth
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    yes. like the veins of the leaves, the dots and brittle edges from decomposition...do control them on macro.

    no wonder the color combinations - lovely colors.... like i said before elsewhere, such sensitivity is rarer in man.

    actually i presume the gender becos of your nick... stallion?
    I've been using auto all these while, now trying to switch to manual tuning, so very very very very bad with the combination.... And i am not using a proper macro lens, it's just a magnifying glass add on.

    hahahah it's ok... It's been my nick since the first forum i visited, so stuck with it.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singaporean stuck in Perth
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    if you feel the need to analyse things seriously, you might have to go into compositional elements in fine art, and start thinking about point, lines, forms, textures, details, colors....

    macro shooters are often attracted by the bizarre colors, intricate details and texture. composition are mostly simple and one usually dun deal with complex compositions like that of a street shot. you are likely to be attracted to the narrow DOF and the romantic colors that are harmonious with each other (orange-yellow and pink - one of my favorite but such color combi are hard to find on travel for me).

    there is often different factorial aspects that one gets attracts to their fields, be it the majestic scale of perspective of the megastructure or the lovely expression of a bride on a wedding, some are related to compositional factors while others relate to the even behind it. once you know what attracts you, you can replicate it again and again producing different good shots.
    wow... i didn't really notice that myself... only noticed that i'm attracted to sharp details and very blur background. Is DOF got to do with the F in my camera?

  17. #17
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion View Post
    I've been using auto all these while, now trying to switch to manual tuning, so very very very very bad with the combination.... And i am not using a proper macro lens, it's just a magnifying glass add on.

    hahahah it's ok... It's been my nick since the first forum i visited, so stuck with it.
    try aperture priority and let metering do the job. first adjust the aperture till you get the DOF you want (i assume shutter duration is not a problem), then next adjust EV accordingly till you are happy.

    but even though with manual, your exposure looks alrite

    looks fine for me for your equipment. when you want more sharpness to details, then consider a macro lens.

  18. #18
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion View Post
    wow... i didn't really notice that myself... only noticed that i'm attracted to sharp details and very blur background. Is DOF got to do with the F in my camera?
    use "f-number", not that single alphabet.

    yah, do read up on DOF and bokeh. that is what draws so many people into flower macro. it appeals becos it helps to concentrate people's attention on what is important, with the blurred background supplementing that beauty without disrupting it. google or read my thread in my signature.

    it occurs with large aperture size i.e. small f-number.
    Last edited by zoossh; 18th September 2007 at 12:40 AM.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singaporean stuck in Perth
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    try aperture priority and let metering do the job. first adjust the aperture till you get the DOF you want (i assume shutter duration is not a problem), then next adjust EV accordingly till you are happy.

    but even though with manual, your exposure looks alrite

    looks fine for me for your equipment. when you want more sharpness to details, then consider a macro lens.
    Ya, i'm looking into getting a macro and a wide angle lens. But it won't be possible till i return to singapore and get a job. I'll just learn more from you and many others for now. and make do with what i have currently.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    use "f-number", not that single alphabet.

    yah, do read up on DOF and bokeh. that is what draws so many people into flower macro. it appeals becos it helps to concentrate people's attention on what is important, with the blurred background supplementing that beauty without disrupting it. google or read my thread in my signature.

    it occurs with large aperture size i.e. small f-number.
    Thanks for the technique, will try again tomorrow if the sun is out.

    Really nice learning from you.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Which is a better crop?

    In this segmented picture is the focus here on the Branch itself or the Leaf?
    It seems that the intersection of the branch has more a focal point that the leaf.
    That itself is a talking point to get them kickers in.
    Having really no other choice, i would pick the first picture as it poses less of a distraction.
    IMHO, i would just reshoot the entire damn picture. How difficult is it to find the same setting of a leaf and the branches? Good luck with it and dont lose sleep over this.
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •