Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3678910131833 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Hargreaves injury boost

Owen Hargreaves could be back sooner than the four-week prognosis initially prescribed for the tendonitis problem that has plagued the start to his United career.

The 26-year-old, who had an injection in his knee earlier this week to solve the problem, could be back in training in ten days, potentially reducing his spell out on the sidelines.

“It may be a bit less than [four weeks],” Sir Alex Ferguson said in an exclusive interview with Manchester United Radio ahead of Saturday’s clash with Wigan.

“Owen should be back training in about ten days’ time, which is good news because he hasn’t had the best of luck. But, having the injection has been successful.”

Although Sir Alex will be keen not to rush the midfielder back, reducing his time on the sidelines could put the midfielder in contention for the league match against Middlesbrough on 27 October, a week before United take on Arsenal on 3 November.

That will come as a welcome relief to the United boss, who also midfield playmaker Michael Carrick ruled out for six weeks with a fractured elbow following an awkward fall during the 1-0 win over AS Roma at Old Trafford.

“It was a bad blow losing Michael Carrick,” the boss said. “I went to shake his hand at the end of the game and he couldn’t lift his arm. I knew he was in pain, so we sent him for an x-ray and it confirmed it was a broken arm.

“It’s a blow especially as his last three performances have been spot on. That was the Michael Carrick of last season. I thought he had a slow start to the campaign, but he was gathering momentum again. He was superb against Chelsea, Birmingham and Roma.

“Fortunately, I’ve still got options,” added Sir Alex. “I can bring Ryan Giggs into midfield, or young Anderson, and John O’Shea can also play there. I’m not too bad, but nonetheless it’s a blow."

Listen to the full interview on 1413 AM with Manchester United Radio's build-up to Saturday's 12:45 BST kick-off against Wigan.

Brown remains a doubt

A knee injury could keep Wes Brown out of United's Barclays Premier League clash with Wigan on Saturday.

The defender picked up the knock in the 1-0 win at Birmingham last Saturday and was subsequently ruled out of the Reds' Champions League victory over Roma on Tuesday.

He is still struggling with the injury and remains a doubt for Wigan's lunchtime visit to Old Trafford.

"Wes is a bit doubtful," revealed Sir Alex Ferguson at his pre-match press briefing. "I'm going to see how he is after training on Friday. But we've got cover in that area."

John O'Shea is likely to step into the right back slot, as he did against Roma. Meanwhile, Sir Alex says he has a choice to make between Ryan Giggs and Anderson as to who replaces the injured Michael Carrick in central midfield.

"Without Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves and Darren Fletcher, we have a job to do in terms of picking another centre midfield player," said the boss. "We've got Anderson and Giggs,
    and I think one of them could supply the answer to that."

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Hargreaves injury boost

Luckly got the 1-2 week international break as well.

Nov 2 is against Arsenal. Hope Hargeaves will be ready by then or maybe even Carrick.

Carrick staying positive

Michael Carrick admits his fractured elbow has come at a bad time, but says he is staying positive and focusing on his recovery.

The midfielder sustained the injury in the second half of United's Champions League victory over Roma on Tuesday.

He is likely to be out of action for around six weeks, missing crucial matches for both United and England.

"It's hard to take, but it happens," he told Manchester United Radio. "Injuries are a part of football and it's something I have to deal with and try to get back as soon as possible.

"When I first did it, I knew I'd done something. I didn't know how bad it was but I couldn't really move it too much and it was very painful. So when I did find out it was broken it wasn't too much of a shock.

"I have to rest for a few weeks now. I'll be out for four to six weeks. I'd say six weeks and anything less is a bonus.

"I'm very disappointed because I was really enjoying my football," he adds. "I don't want to miss any games, especially big games like the England ones coming up.

"It's the business end of the qualification and it's a blow there. Nevertheless, it's happened and I have to deal with it and come back fresh again."

Blog: Fletch kicks every ball

We face Wigan on Saturday and, like every fan at Old Trafford, I’ll be cheering United on – something I’ve had to get used to in the last couple of weeks.

I picked up what I thought was a knee injury during Scotland’s incredible win over France last month. I played on for about five minutes but I had to come off. At first I thought it was just a bad kick and I hoped I'd be able to run it off, but the pain got gradually worse and eventually I couldn't put any pressure on it at all.

I've actually fractured the bone at the top of my leg. It wasn't too bad a fracture – it didn't go all the way through the bone. If it had, it would have been a lot more serious. But I have to give it as much time as possible to let it heal.

I can't come back too quickly, although it is getting better all the time. It's a 4-6-week healing process and it's been about three weeks already. It's frustrating, but these things happen and I have to be patient and wait for my chance.

I’ll be at Old Trafford on Saturday, hopefully watching another United win. I get really involved in the stands. I turn into a fan and get a lot more wound up than I do when I'm on the pitch. I try to stay calm when I play but something else takes over when I watch. I'm up and down, screaming and shouting at the referee.

It's great, though, and it brings me back to what it's like to support a team. The fans play off each other and I get caught up in the atmosphere. It's really good and it helps me forget about my injury for 90 minutes. So, fingers crossed for another victory...

Striker conundrum for Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson will has the so-called selection headache to contend with as he deliberates over whether Louis Saha or Carlos Tevez should partner Wayne Rooney against Wigan on Saturday.

Saha started his first game since March on Tuesday, while Tevez has gradually been discovering his best form. Both offer something very different; Saha’s raw pace, aerial strength and physical presence versus Tevez’s creativity, skill and tireless determination.

“There’s a decision over which one I should play," says Sir Alex. "Both are fit and ready to play, no question about that, but as yet I’ve no idea who I will pick.

“We were encouraged by the vigorous performance Louis gave against Roma. He's got great physical presence and speed. I thought he was first-class bearing in mind it was his first start since March.

“He's excellent when he gets going, as we saw last year when he scored 12 goals before Christmas. If he'd remained fit he could got to 30. He’s a goal threat, whether it's in the air or with either foot.

“We're on the right path with him. We have to decide now whether we give him a second start or put him on the bench and bring him on later in the game, where he can be so important.”

However, Tevez, who scored his first United goal against Chelsea two weeks ago, has also laid claim to a starting berth. “The interesting thing was that Tevez showed against Roma that he can come off the bench and change the face of the game,” says the boss. “He brought a different problem for them, which helped at an important part of the game.”
    Aiya ... play all three together problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Luckly got the 1-2 week international break as well.

Nov 2 is against Arsenal. Hope Hargeaves will be ready by then or maybe even Carrick.
    hopefully they will be back by then! think against young team we need the speed n experience to contain them!

SAF should play SAHA for tomorrow's game then declare him unfit for france? so that he can be fit for the games against Kiev!
    Last edited by melvin; 5th October 2007 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    I dun wanna see Saha getting recalled into the French squad! He is so delicate, have to use and preserve him sparingly!

The injuries are really killing Man Utd's ambitions for the season. Wes Brown out as well. Tomorrow against Wigan dunno who will be in midfield assuming O'Shea will cover Brown.

I think no defensive midfielder tomorrow. Either Giggs or Anderson will partner Scholes in midfield I guess.

That means Nani will start on the flanks. Pre-season, it seems like Man Utd have many midfielders but after 3 KOed, down to barebones. It din help that Neville and Brown injured as well.

Injury list:
    VDS
    Neville
    Brown
    Carrick
    Hargreaves
    Fletcher
    Ronaldo got stitches in his forehead

Saha and Rooney just recovered, can't really afford any more injuries. Hope we have some luck in this aspect. Especially the strikers as only have 3 left.
    Of the injured list i think most needed will be Hargreaves n Carrick Ronaldo will be back on time! becos:

Ronaldo's big dreams

Cristiano Ronaldo says he dreams of being named the best player in the world, but insists he is more concerned with achieving collective success with the Reds.

The 22-year-old is virtually certain to be on the short-list for the Fifpro World Player of the Year when it is unveiled on Monday and he is also likely to be in contention for the prestigious European and FIFA world awards later in the year.

The winger says he would be immensely proud to receive global recognition for his talents, but remains focused on doing his bit for the team.

“My one big dream is to be the best player in the world, but to be honest I don't think about it too much,” he reveals. “My aim is just to do better every year, not just me but my colleagues as well. I want to improve every season so I can help the team win trophies.

“You must always play hard and believe in your dreams. I remember when I was a kid I would look at players and think to myself I'd like to be like them one day. My ambition is always to work hard and believe in myself.”

Having come within three games of another Treble last season, Ronaldo believes the additions of Owen Hargreaves, Carlos Tevez, Nani and Anderson will give the Reds a great chance to clean up this time round.

“We have four new great players which gives us more opportunities to win all competitions,” he says. “We have a great team and we have a great chance to win everything.”

hopefully they will be back by then! think against young team we need the speed n experience to contain them!

SAF should play SAHA for tomorrow's game then declare him unfit for france?
    Against Arsenal, need Hargreaves deployed as the destroyer role to stop their midfield. Last season, they over ran our midfield combo of Carrick and Scholes.

Haha ya, use Saha and then declare he receive a knock! Actually, Tevez can play on the left flank as sometimes deployed by Argentina. Like a 4-3-3 three prong attack of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez. Or drop Ronaldo to midfield and use Saha as main center striker with Rooney and Tevez on the flanks.

I think the formation tomorrow will be:

Kuzkuz

O'shea | Vidic | Rio | Evra

Ronaldo | Giggs | Scholes | Nani

Rooney | Saha

Either Saha starts or Tevez. Dun think Anderson will start the game.
    Last edited by afbug; 5th October 2007 at 09:53 PM.

For me i might want to see a more attack orient wif a new partnership option like:

Kuzkuz

O'shea Vidic Rio Evra

Ronaldo Scholes Giggs

Rooney
    Saha Tevez

To be sub in sometime later during match: Nani for Giggs n Anderson for Scholes. wat u guys think?

Sir Alex: The goals will come

Sir Alex Ferguson is confident his side will start scoring, and insists he isn’t panicking because of the Reds’ run of 1-0 victories.

United have racked up six such scorelines in the last eight games, but it doesn’t overly concern the Reds boss.

“I’ve got no worries about our form,” Sir Alex said at his pre-match press conference ahead of Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off against Wigan. You can watch the full video clip on MUTV Online now.

“It’s great,” he added, “we get criticised for winning 1-0, but if we won 5-1 people would say the defence has gone to pieces!

“There are valid reasons for the delay [in reaching top form]; Rooney’s injury, Ronaldo’s suspension, the international breaks, which every club has had to contend with. And it’s difficult to keep the continuity going when your players are away for two weeks at a time.

“But [scoring goals] is going to happen. I just hope it’s soon rather than later. But it’s all coming together with this team and we will score goals.”

In the full press conference clip, the manager discusses his squad’s injury problems, praises Wigan’s new boss Chris Hutchings and deliberates which striker he will choose to play alongside Wayne Rooney – Carlos Tevez or Louis Saha.

Ronny starts Trickbox feature

From attacking players like Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez to defenders like Ferdinand and Evra, United fans are blessed with watching some of the game’s most skilful footballers every week.

That’s why ManUtd.com and MUTV Online have started a new video feature, Trickbox, to keep track of United players' tricks, flicks and skills.

First up (of course), it’s Cristiano Ronaldo with another spell-binding piece of trickery from his vast and varied repertoire.

After 25 minutes against Birmingham City at St Andrews, the Portuguese winger - not for the first time that afternoon - got the better of French full-back Franck Queudrue, courtesy of this cheeky turn.

Keep an eye on ManUtd.com and MUTV Online’s Freeview channel for more clips.

Reds winger joins Plymouth

Young Reds winger Lee Martin has joined Championship side Plymouth Argyle on a three-month loan deal.

The 20-year-old had loan spells with Rangers and Stoke City last season, but his only appearance for the Reds this season came in the Carling Cup defeat to Coventry City.

Sir Alex Ferguson had hoped to give Martin and United's other young guns experience in the competition, but as that avenue has been blocked off, the Reds boss has pledged to send some of his youthful crop out on loan.

"Lee brings something we haven't got. He likes to run with it and take people on," Holloway told Plymouth's club website.

"He's a fresh young talent who wants to learn and get first team experience. We've been following him for about three years and we believe in him."

Today early kick off 8hrs more to Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Gooooaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been scoring 1-0 wins for the past few matches. Am sure we are more than capable of scoring more than one goal in any match and I feel the goal rush is overdue and should be very soon. Maybe, Wigan will bear the brunt of our goal rush.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    We have been scoring 1-0 wins for the past few matches. Am sure we are more than capable of scoring more than one goal in any match and I feel the goal rush is overdue and should be very soon. Maybe, Wigan will bear the brunt of our goal rush.
    To be exact 6 matches in a row hmmm....... anyone wonder is it a record for us?

i got a feeling there will be a goals spree tonight....
    its time we start scoring goals like MANCHESTER UNITED!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

For me i might want to see a more attack orient wif a new partnership option like:

Kuzkuz

O'shea Vidic Rio Evra

Ronaldo Scholes Giggs

Rooney
    Saha Tevez

To be sub in sometime later during match: Nani for Giggs n Anderson for Scholes. wat u guys think?
    That is a nice formation but Rooney willl make the better targetman. Tevez will be better in the withdrawn striker role. I hope SAF goes for it but I think he might not wanna risk it as there is no Hargreaves or Carrick to hold the midfield. If Scholes lose the ball in the midfield, it will be dangerous as Ronaldo, Giggs and the strikers, total 5 players will likely to be forward to carry out the attack. And Scholes' tackling is worth at least a yellow card per tackle. Will kamikaze jialet jialet!

Like this also can;

Kuzkuz

O'shea | Vidic | Rio | Evra

Ronaldo | Scholes | Giggs

Rooney | Tevez

Saha

Both Rooney and Tevez will drop back and attack from the center and wings supported by Ronaldo, Giggs and lastly Scholes and the full backs. Awesome eh?! Left Rio and Vidic to hold fort. But we will not have any strikers as sub on the bench. Anderson can play striker but dunno good or not. DFZ and Campbell not ready yet. Man, it is really a waste letting Rossi go. He is scoring like no body business in La Liga. Already have 4 goals to his name in 6 games but I think he started 5 only.
    Last edited by afbug; 6th October 2007 at 06:51 PM.

Line-up against Wigan

Kuszczak

Pique | Ferdinand | Vidic | Evra

Ronaldo | O'Shea | Scholes | Giggs

Tevez | Rooney

Subs: Heaton, Simpson, Anderson, Nani, Saha

So SAF see things differently. He dun wanna risk the midfield by having 2 attacking mids. O'Shea to hold midfield and I think he sees this as a chance to let Pique play. Tevez partner Rooney again, hopefully, they can forge a partnership soon.

I'm surprised he left Nani on the bench. I think Giggs's form isn't too good for the past few games.

Finally, the goal rush came albeit only in the second half after a disappointing display in the first half which left me feeling whether this was going to be another 1-0 win or a draw. The double injuries of Vidic and O'shea early in the game didn't help either and must have left many doubtful if the goals were going to flow. I don't know what SAF did in the dressing room but the second half saw a transformed Man Utd. Tevez's first goal instilled alot of confidence especially Anderson after his assist. So, Matt Le Tessier, now a soccer pundit, is correct when he predicted a goal rush against Wigan. Pity Wigan having to bear the blunt of our assault. Lets hope that this game is the beginning of more goals like last season.
    Last edited by redstorm; 6th October 2007 at 10:05 PM.

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3678910131833 ... LastLast