Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 173237404142434447 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Another

EOS 40D;50mm f1.4 ; Lancer EX Sports 2.0
    Fan of Man Utd since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    To Bro Melvin

here is a pic of a Man U mascot

Gee ... thanks can i keep it?

Another

Wah...neber ask me along!

The model may be pretty to me but who knows what others may think :embrass
    EOS 40D;50mm f1.4 ; Lancer EX Sports 2.0
    Fan of Man Utd since 1977

The model may be pretty to me but who knows what others may think :embrass
    Nvm... we got same taste!

if you don't find her pretty, i think you need a new eyeglasses

Rio relishes Reds' miserly streak

Rio Ferdinand insisted clean sheets are as important as goals after United’s 6-0 romp over Newcastle on Saturday.

The towering centre-back scored the Reds’ fourth goal against the Magpies, but he took greater pride from his side’s imperious defending throughout the match as United registered a 13th clean sheet in 22 league games.

“It’s nice to get on the goalscoring sheet, but more important for me was the clean sheet,” he told Setanta Sports. “If we keep clean sheets then we’ve got people like Ronny (Cristiano Ronaldo) upfront who can score us goals.”

The Reds’ canter, allied to Arsenal’s failure to beat Birmingham, saw the champions move back to the top of the Premier League. United’s form augurs well in the ongoing title race, and Ferdinand is keen to keep his focus in-house.

“We’ll have to wait and see, we just concentrate on Manchester United,” he said. “If we keep clean sheets and score the odd goal here and there then we know we’re going to be in with a shout at the end of the season.

“It’s too early to say whether we’re going to stay there or not, we have to get our consistency going and make sure we’re performing like we did today and we’ll be alright.”

Sir Alex: Bosses need time

Harry Redknapp may have ruled himself out of the vacant Newcastle United manager’s job, but speculation continues to surround the position.

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes is the new bookies' favourite, despite insisting he's happy at Ewood Park, while former Newcastle striker Alan Shearer has the support of the fans.

Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, secure in his post at Old Trafford, is convinced Newcastle’s top job is one of the toughest around.

“I would say Newcastle are the most difficult club to manage in the game, gobbling up managers and spitting them out again with hardly a pause," he told United Review.

“Their list of sacked bosses reads like a who’s who of football with some of the greatest players taking up the challenge, though not for very long.”

It’s the demand for instant success that seems to rankle Sir Alex most.

“Top-class players like Jack Charlton, Ossie Ardiles, Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Sir Bobby Robson and Graeme Souness have all been and gone.

“Surely one of that distinguished band of legends would have been successful if the directors, supporters and media had shown a little more patience and given the guys in the hot seat time to plan and build.

“Sam Allardyce had the job for only eight months after success at Bolton and being tipped as the next England manager! If they regarded their managers as something more than ships passing in the night they might achieve the stability and consistency that is the basis of success at any club.”
    Agreed Sam was given too little time expectation too high!

Rooney's been robbed!

Wayne Rooney's frustration at not finding the net in the Reds’ 6-0 win on the weekend was clear, and perhaps more understandable when you consider the United ace learnt just 24 hours prior to kick off that his personal goals tally had been cut by the Premier League.

A memo circulated last Friday from the Dubious Goals Committee revealed the Reds’ opener at the Emirates Stadium in November had been ruled as a William Gallas own goal.

United’s club statistician and official media outlets, including ManUtd.com, had previously credited the strike to the England international.

The decision now means Rooney’s 2007/08 tally stands at nine, while his goal at Villa Park in the recent FA Cup third round clash was his 68th in a United shirt.

Other rulings by the Dubious Goals Committee included allowing Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs’ strikes at Villa Park in October to stand as Reds goals, while the same decision applies to Carlos Tevez’s second against Middlesbrough and Cristiano Ronaldo’s first against Blackburn Rovers.

Papers: Ron can keep firing

Fergie tips Ronaldo
    Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Cristiano Ronaldo to be the first winger since George Best to end the season as the top flight's leading goalscorer. Ronaldo's hat-trick in Manchester United's 6-0 demolition of Newcastle took his tally for the season to 22 goals in all competitions - just 10 behind Best's haul of 32 from 40 years ago. And United boss Fergie believes Ronaldo has what it takes to eclipse Old Trafford legend Best and set a new scoring record for a wide man. "At the start of the season people were wondering whether he could match last season's total of 23, and you had to say 'well why not?' He's a young lad who's improving all the time. He's always practicing and his decision-making is getting better all the time. There's no reason why he can't carry on scoring at this rate," he said.
    David McDonnell, The Daily Mirror

The Sun reports that Ronaldo’s current goal spree is down to the winger’s superstition of having his hair washed on match days at a Manchester hairdressers.

Elsewhere The Daily Mail says that United are insisting Louis Saha will play again this season, despite some reports that he faces a long lay off after damaging knee ligaments in training.

Also in The Daily Mail, Alex McLeish is quoted as saying that his fellow Scot, Sir Alex Ferguson, passed on a good luck message for the Birmingham manager ahead of their 1-1 draw with United’s title rivals, Arsenal.

Round up by Chris McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Nvm... we got same taste!
    My mission is to get a few models for such a shoot

My mission is to get a few models for such a shoot

Got any more pict? next time ask we all go for the shoot ok?

Our next FA cup team is out: Spurs!

Keane spurs Tottenham to victory

Tottenham Hotspur beat Reading at the Madejski Stadium on Tuesday night to secure an FA Cup fourth round tie against United at Old Trafford.

The two sides drew 2-2 at White Hart Lane 10 days earlier, but on this occasion an early Robbie Keane goal was enough to tip the balance in Spurs' favour.

Keane was quickest to react in the 15th minute after Royals goalkeeper Adam Federici tipped Younes Kaboul's header onto the underside of the bar, presenting Keane with a close-range tap-in.

Reading had the better of the second half chances, and Stephen Hunt volleyed against the bar, but the home side couldn't find a way past Tottenham stopper Radek Cerny.

Spurs' victory means they will now come to Old Trafford
    on Sunday 27 January (14:00 GMT) to face a Reds side determined to reach Wembley again.

Wembley here we come!!!

Papers: Gilberto Reds link

Man Utd deal on cards says Hertha's Gilberto
    Hertha Berlin's Gilberto has emerged as a candidate to give United extra cover at left back. The 31-year-old's agent Alexandra Martins claimed agreement with United was close after talks on a new deal at his German club broke down over his demand for £1.75million a year. Gilberto's contract runs out at the end of the season and United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to snap up the tough-tackling left-sided defender or midfielder. Gilberto said: "I have received offers from England, Portugal and Brazil. I have become accustomed to winning trophies with Brazil and would like to do the same at club level." Hertha general manager Dieter Hoeness said: "Trying to extend his contract is a priority for us."
    Daily Mail

Meanwhile the Daily Mirror reports that Cristiano Ronaldo is assuring Sir Alex Ferguson that he does not need a rest. This time last year, Ronaldo set off to Dubai for a five-day break but he has no plans to do so this year as he wants to play every game.
    Why are we signing an old man?

Transfer Rumours: Jan 08

Klaas Jan Huntelaar is being touted by various UK newspapers as the most likely United signing should Sir Alex Ferguson dip into the market during the January transfer window.

The Dutch striker has been linked with a move to United on numerous occasions but speculation is heating up that Huntelaar will sign for the Reds.

Rumours still abound that Berbatov may come to OT while Hertha Berlin’s Gilberto and Lyon’s Benzema have expressed an interest in joining United.

Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill have both insisted Ronaldo is going nowhere despite Real Madrid’s interest but debate still remains over Wes Brown’s future.

ARRIVALSPlayer Name Current Club Position Fee
    Gilberto Hertha Berlin Defender Undisclosed

Henrik Larsson Helsingborg Striker Loan

Dimitar Berbatov Tottenham Striker £35million

Karim Benzema Olympique Lyonnais Striker undisclosed

Klaas Jan Huntelaar Ajax Striker £12million

DEPARTURESPlayer Name Linked With Position Fee
    Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid Midfielder £45million

Wes Brown Newcastle Defender Undisclosed

Phil Bardsley Sheffield United Defender Undisclosed

Ryan Shawcross Stoke City Defender £1million

New strikers in the making for the senior first eleven from the under 18s?

Strike duo ready to fire U18s

Under-18s coach Paul McGuinness hopes United's young strike duo, Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda, can fire the Reds to FA Youth Cup success this season.

The pair have scored 15 of United’s 36 goals this season in league and cup matches, and will hope to fire the Reds past Carlisle in the Youth Cup fourth round on Wednesday (KO 19:00 GMT).

Italian youth international Macheda is the U18s' top scorer this term with eight goals, including his strike in the 2-1 third round victory over Brighton & Hove Albion. Welbeck, an England U17 international, has scored seven goals this term. Together, they form a formidable partnership up.

“They are both very good players,” McGuinness told PA Sport. “Danny is still only young and has another year at this level. He’s a very talented player and all the other players respond to that.

“Federico is a very good technical player. He’s a good finisher, makes good decisions and some very clever runs. In some ways he has a style like Dimitar Berbatov. His touch is very good.”

Rome-born Macheda has made a strong impression on and off the pitch since arriving in the summer from Italy, where he was on Lazio’s books. “His English is coming on, he’s a bright boy,” added McGuinness. “He understands what we’re after and he has fitted in well with the culture of the club.”

“Federico and Danny are on a really good wavelength. That is what you want, good partnerships. When you see them in training and you look at the likes of Rooney and Tevez and the way they link up, those two lads are capable of doing similar sorts of combinations."

United reached the final of the FA Youth Cup last season, losing on penalties to Liverpool. But with experienced players like goalkeeper Ben Amos and midfielders Danny Drinkwater, Corry Evans and Magnus Eikrem (Welbeck also played last season) still in the side, United are hopeful of being strong challengers again.

“It would be nice to go one better this year,” said McGuinness. “We’re missing some of the players we had last year but those who remain have that extra experience. For them, there is a big motivation to go the next step.

“And if you look at the history of the FA Cup and FA Youth Cup, a lot of teams who get to the final get there again the following year. They know how much it means and have the experience of going through each round.”

There have been 13 occasions where teams have reached consecutive finals since the inception of the Youth Cup in 1953. United will hope this time it means a tenth success for the club, but McGuinness says the Reds aren’t getting too ahead of themselves yet.

“You take it round-by-round. Once you get through a couple of rounds, you start to get a feel for it. You get through one game and handle the pressure, then it can become a snowball effect.”

Lastest rumour is that Bralizian twins Fabio and Rafael Silva are close to signing for Man Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Lastest rumour is that Bralizian twins Fabio and Rafael Silva are close to signing for Man Utd.
    Tot we closing in on hunter?

Nvm this 2 also good then we can form a triangle of 2 fullback n midfielder samba!!!
    Last edited by melvin; 17th January 2008 at 07:36 PM.

Interview with the legend: Peter Schmeichel

United's former goal keeper Peter Schmeichel enjoyed eight glory-laden years with the Reds. We caught up with the Great Dane at a feelfootball.com coaching event in Manchester to discuss if the current crop has what it takes...

What have you made of United’s performances so far this season?
    It’s starting to smell of big times again. I know we lost against Bolton but defeats give you a reality check and United know they need to keep working hard. Traditionally United are a stronger team come the latter part of the season and I think things look good. My main concern is when the big players are absent. I don’t believe we can play without Wayne Rooney or Nemanja Vidic. They are too important for us. Carlos Tevez is a great signing and one year down the line he and Wayne will be perfect together. But I still believe we need another striker. For me, Vidic has been the key to the defence. And he’s made Rio [Ferdinand] into a top class player. I thought Rio was a very good player before, but since Vidic has arrived they’ve got a settled partnership and Rio has developed brilliantly, just like Vidic.

Sir Alex recently commented that this is the strongest squad he’s ever had. You’ve been part of great United squads – how does this one compare?
    The history of the club is something that is constantly breathing down your neck when you’re a United player. That history and the expectation level makes you go that one step further than any other player at any other club in the world. When I first joined, the history we had to deal with was the Busby Babes, 1968 and the fact that we hadn’t won the title for over 20 years. The desperation to win it was incredible and we all felt that. The current squad did brilliantly to win it last season and they have a great chance to go on to big things, but they have history on their shoulders as well because they have ’99 to contend with which is a hell of a year to compete with. So, of course, the manager has got to go out there and say they’re the best squad he’s had. He has to make the players believe that and that’s a good way of doing it. He said it in the past when I was there and after I left. What he’s saying is I’m extremely happy with what I’ve got and I love to work with these players. If Sir Alex is happy United will win matches which is the most important thing.

Is winning a second European Cup something that niggles away at Sir Alex?
    Yes definitely. There's no reason why he couldn’t have won a second one, but once you get down to the last four like United did last season it becomes a lottery. And things just haven’t gone their way at the important times in the important games. They have a great chance to win the Champions League every season and I'd love to see them do it this time round.

Ferdinand and Vidic have been compared to Bruce and Pallister…
    I definitely see similarities. I loved playing behind those two and for me Rio and Vidic are on a par with them. Brucey had a great heart and Pallister was superb on the ball and you see similar aspects in Rio and Vidic. The game has changed so much since I played – it’s a lot quicker nowadays and there are even more skilful players around these days. That’s why Rio and Vidic are so impressive.

What have you made of the progress Ronaldo has made since he joined United?
    He’s been outstanding. He is up there as one of the five best players in the world. He’s learnt that the game is not all about doing fancy tricks, you need to do them at the right time. He’s found the perfect balance now of proving hugely effective by scoring and making goals, whilst still being able to throw in the odd trick and entertain the crowd. I believe Sir Alex is probably one of the few managers in the world who could manage a player like Ronaldo. Had Ronaldo been anywhere else I think he would be a different player – I’ve no doubt about that. Sir Alex is hard enough to put him in his place, but he’s also soft enough to encourage him as well.

There’s an interesting battle developing between United and City at the top of the table…It’s fantastic for Manchester to see the two teams so close to each other. Obviously with my son Kasper being at City I want them to do well, but United are my team and I always want them to win. City have done brilliantly to stay up there for so long, but I can’t see them being there for the duration. The problem they have is despite doing so well this season, they still went to Chelsea and lost 6-0. It’s something that Sven [Goran-Eriksson] still needs to work on and it can take years to do that. In terms of the title race itself, it looks like it’ll be strongly contested by United and Arsenal, but I wouldn’t discount Chelsea either – they may still have a shot at it. Liverpool have an outside chance, but I don’t believe they’re as strong as United and Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Papers: Gilberto Reds link

Why are we signing an old man?
    maybe for experience...
    Last edited by iskofil; 17th January 2008 at 08:16 PM.

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 173237404142434447 ... LastLast