Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13283336373839404348 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Match Pack: Aston Villa

United meet Aston Villa in the FA Cup Third Round for the fourth time in seven seasons on Saturday. Last season, the Reds won with an injury-time winner from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Will there be more late drama this time?

Form guide: Whle the Reds picked up nine points from a possible 12 over Christmas, Sir Alex's side never really hit top gear. There's something about Villa Park, however, that seems to bring out the best in United. Villa also did well over the festive period, winning a point at Stamford Bridge and beating Wigan and Spurs.

Ins and outs: John Carew aside, Martin O'Neill should have a full squad to choose from, while United's only major doubt comes in the form of Carlos Tevez (ankle). The Reds should welcome back Edwin van der Sar (groin) and Wayne Rooney (virus).

Star men: Brummy boy Gabriel Agbonlahor will undoubtedly be Villa's main threat. As for the Reds, don't bet against Ryan Giggs conjuring another vintage Villa Park memory in the FA Cup.

Rivals watch: Chelsea v QPR (Sat), Burnley v Arsenal (Sun), Luton v Liverpool (Sun).

Scholes itching to return

Sir Alex Ferguson can be certain he will be linked with a number of top transfer targets this month, but he can at least look forward to having one more world class player at his disposal in January.

Paul Scholes says he is on course to return at the end of the month to aid Uniteds Premier League title ambitions.

The influential 33-year-old midfielder has started running again after spending over two months on the sidelines following knee ligament surgery.

Ive started running now, said Scholesy. Ive got these next few weeks to get as fit as I can, so hopefully Ill be fresh when I come back. Its a couple of months since the operation now and everything seems to be OK. Im on track to return at the end of January or the start of February.

Scholes sustained the injury during training before the Champions League Group F clash with Dynamo Kyiv in October. I felt something during the training session but I managed to carry on, he explained. It was only really the next day that I thought there might be a problem and a scan showed that I had ruptured my lateral ligament in my knee, which is an injury that doesnt often occur.

It's not been an easy few months for Scholes, who admits he isnt the best spectator. Its been frustrating for me, he concedes. I still see all the games, but it does get a bit boring just watching because all you want is to be out there playing. But I know that I have to be patient and hopefully I'll be back playing soon.

The Salford-born midfielder will be looking at a possible return in the league matches against Portsmouth (30 Jan) and Tottenham (2 Feb) depending on how this next stage of his recovery goes.
    Wish he could come back sooner!!!

Rooney eyes happy return

Wayne Rooney will be aiming for a repeat performance on Saturday if he's fit to return at Villa Park, the ground where he scored twice in October.

The United forward has netted 10 goals since changing his shirt number to 10 and he regards his second in the 4-1 win against Aston Villa as one of his best to date.

Rooney told Inside United (The 10s issue): "My goal against Arsenal was probably my favourite so far, but other than that I'd say it was my second goal against Aston Villa at Villa Park.

"It was a good move, a nice ball from Tevez and I managed to slot it home. I always remember my goals. As soon as someone mentions a game in which you scored, you can see the goal immediately in your mind."

Mention the FA Cup to Wayne and he could be seeing five strikes from last year, including another double at Villa Park - in the semi-final against Watford. This term could yield more goals for Rooney, in all competitions, following his change of role.

Ive played further up front rather than in behind a main striker, Wayne explains. Id probably say Ive enjoyed that role more as I seem to get more chances. Hopefully that means Ill end up with more goals.
    Hope he can score another 2 snice it was at his old hunting park, Villa Park!

Duo set for Cup return

Wayne Roooney and Edwin van der Sar are both likely to be back in action on Saturday for United's FA Cup third round trip to Aston Villa, but Carlos Tevez remains a doubt.

Rooney has missed United's last two matches with a virus, while van der Sar has not featured since the 1-0 win over Liverpool on 16 December because of a groin problem.

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the Dutch keeper will start in goal at his pre-match press conference and is hopeful Rooney will also play some part in the game.

Tevez, meanwhile, injured his ankle in the Reds' 1-0 win over Birmingham on New Year's Day and is still struggling with the knock.

"We'll give him every chance because he's been in such good form, but he remains a doubt," revealed Sir Alex.

The return of Rooney and van der Sar is a big boost for the Reds, and there was more good news on the injury front as United skipper Gary Neville finally appears to be close to a first-team return.

"Gary is doing great," added Sir Alex. "He will play in the Reserves against Everton on Wednesday. I was thinking about taking him down with the rest of the squad to Villa Park, but I think he is best off doing his training and taking part in the Reserves next week."

Reds reject bid for Wes

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed the Reds have turned down an offer from Newcastle United for defender Wes Brown.

The 28-year-old, whose current contract runs until the summer, is free to speak to other clubs having stalled on signing a new deal with the Reds.

Contract negotiations have been ongoing between Brown and United for most of the season. The Reds made a final offer just before Christmas but the England international is yet to put pen to paper.

Sir Alex now insists the matter is completely in Brown's hands.

"There was an enquiry from Newcastle about Wes and we turned it down," the United boss confirmed on Friday.

"The matter rests with Wes and his agent. We'll just wait and see what happens. Our offer is still there - it's now up to Wes."
    Why would Newcastle need him?

Reds laugh off Ronny rumours

Sir Alex Ferguson has labelled the latest bout of claims that Real Madrid are set to snatch Cristiano Ronaldo from Old Trafford as "nonsense".

The 22-year-old winger has once again proved he is among the world's elite players with some scintillating performances and 19 goals this term.

Speculation in Spain's press has suggested the La Liga giants are ready to move for Ronaldo, a rumour Sir Alex has become accustomed to.

"I anticipated this," Sir Alex said somewhat wearily. "In the New Year you almost expect it.

"The thing about this story is that it has been claimed that David Gill has been speaking to Real Madrid. That is a complete lie. We have never spoken to them. The story depends on agents and their imaginations.

"At best it's mischievous, but I just dismiss it because it's nonsense. But who wouldnt be interested in Ronaldo? Thats why we bought him."

Sir Alex again all but ruled out any moves in the January transfer market. Other than potential loan deals for some of the Reds' younger players, it should be a quiet month on the transfer front. "It's unlikely we will be making any moves," he added.

Ok 13 more hours to go!

2-0 win for

115am is no joke

But ons for Man U
    EOS 40D;50mm f1.4 ; Lancer EX Sports 2.0
    Fan of Man Utd since 1977

I did this pic when I had my 300D. That means it was a few years back

My Man U masot

Last edited by jeff49er; 5th January 2008 at 09:06 PM.
    EOS 40D;50mm f1.4 ; Lancer EX Sports 2.0
    Fan of Man Utd since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Ok 13 more hours to go!

2-0 win for
    you made a good prediction bro. anyway cheers to the devils for the win. villa park has always been a good hunting ground.

Yeah Villa Park is great for us, another one of our away 'home' ground. But it was a great win as Villa these days are tough to beat.

The 'so called rapist' Johnney Evans joins Sunderland on loan. Really wonder why some girls can just cry foul and get people into trouble. And worst is people who already judged him when the courts and law have not put him to trial. He is innocent till proven guilty.

Ferguson to face his son?

Sir Alex Ferguson will be looking for a family affair when the FA Cup fourth round draw is made on Monday afternoon (13:30 GMT).

The boss was delighted son Darren's team joined the Reds in reaching the last 32. League Two side Peterborough punched above their weight to knock out Championship club Colchester and will now hope to be rewarded with a money-spinning fourth round tie.

Sir Alex told MUTV: "We'd like a home draw and it would be great if it was against Peterborough... it would give my son Darren a good cheque!"

United are one of only six top-flight teams definitely in the fourth round, the others being Middlesbrough, Wigan, Portsmouth, Chelsea and Arsenal who beat Burnley 2-0 away on Sunday.

Liverpool, Derby, Fulham and United's next league opponents Newcastle also played on Sunday but they could only draw with lower league sides, namely Luton, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol Rovers and Stoke City respectively.

However, replays for those clubs are respectable by comparison with Bolton, Blackburn and Everton who suffered shock exits at home to Sheffield United, Coventry and Oldham. Birmingham were also knocked out, away to Huddersfield, while Roy Keane's Sunderland lost at home to Steve Bruce's Wigan.

FA Cup Third Round Results
    Saturday 5 January

Aston Villa 0-2 Man Utd
    Barnsley 2-1 Blackpool
    Blackburn 1-4 Coventry
    Bolton 0-1 Sheff Utd
    Brighton 1-2 Mansfield
    Bristol C 1-2 Middlesbro
    Charlton 1-1 West Brom
    Chasetown 1-3 Cardiff
    Chelsea 1-0 QPR
    Colchester 1-3 Peterborough
    Everton 0-1 Oldham
    Huddersfield 2-1 Birmingham
    Ipswich 0-1 Portsmouth
    Norwich 1-1 Bury
    Plymouth 3-2 Hull City
    Preston 1-0 Scunthorpe
    Southampton 2-0 Leicester
    Southend 5-2 Dag & Red
    Sunderland 0-3 Wigan
    Swansea 1-1 Havant & W
    Swindon 1-1 Barnet
    Tottenham 2-2 Reading
    Tranmere 2-2 Hereford
    Walsall 0-0 Millwall
    Watford 2-0 C Palace
    West Ham 0-0 Man City
    Wolves 2-1 Cambridge

Sunday 6 January

Burnley 0-2 Arsenal
    Derby 2-2 Sheff Wed
    Fulham 2-2 Bristol R
    Luton 1-1 Liverpool
    Stoke 0-0 Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by edarkflame View Post
    you made a good prediction bro. anyway cheers to the devils for the win. villa park has always been a good hunting ground.
    hahaha by luck one!

FA Cup: Teams in the draw

Premier League: United, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Arsenal

Championship: Southampton, Barnsley, Wolves, Cardiff, Preston, Sheffield United, Coventry, Watford, Plymouth

League 1: Huddersfield, Southend, Oldham

League 2: Peterborough, Mansfield

Replays: Manchester City v West Ham, West Brom v Charlton, Hereford v Tranmere, Reading v Tottenham, Barnet v Swindon, Bury v Norwich, Millwall v Walsall, Havant & Waterlooville v Swansea, Fulham v Bristol Rovers, Derby v Sheffield Wednesday, Liverpool v Luton, Newcastle v Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Yeah Villa Park is great for us, another one of our away 'home' ground. But it was a great win as Villa these days are tough to beat.
    Our other home is at Anfield!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    I did this pic when I had my 300D. That means it was a few years back

My Man U masot

So when u organising next for us?

So when u organising next for us?
    i think if this happens, expect gatecrashers from other clubs...
    they might wear manU shirt also...

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    The 'so called rapist' Johnney Evans joins Sunderland on loan. Really wonder why some girls can just cry foul and get people into trouble. And worst is people who already judged him when the courts and law have not put him to trial. He is innocent till proven guilty.
    MU aint called devil for nothing...all these girls just want to have a shot to fame...Beckham, Ronaldo all had it....and why not if they are that famous

Our other home is at Anfield!
    Thats why Rafa must stay