Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212629303132333641 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    Bebertov is a good buy!
    I hope SAF has the BBB virus soon

There are rumours that BM's Philip Lahm is on Fergie's radar. Munich will be really pissed with us after the Owen Hargreaves transfer.

Lyon's Karim Benzema and Bordeaux striker Gabriel Obertan also on Fergie's radar and so is Henrik Larsson which is today's rumour.

Seems like Man Utd had a record 60m nett profit.

Well as for Johnney Evans, he is still innocent till proven guilty. These days, quite a number of footballers got accused of rape but not guilty. C.Ronaldo and RVP also kenna accused just a few years back. But Fergie will be furious that the party took place.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    There are rumours that BM's Philip Lahm is on Fergie's radar. Munich will be really pissed with us after the Owen Hargreaves transfer.

Lyon's Karim Benzema and Bordeaux striker Gabriel Obertan also on Fergie's radar and so is Henrik Larsson which is today's rumour.

Seems like Man Utd had a record 60m nett profit.

Well as for Johnney Evans, he is still innocent till proven guilty. These days, quite a number of footballers got accused of rape but not guilty. C.Ronaldo and RVP also kenna accused just a few years back. But Fergie will be furious that the party took place.
    SAF is Gonna blow his Top soon!

Larsson Larsson We want Larsson!

Reds eye Euro draw

Celtic are one of five teams who could face United in the last 16 of the Champions League.

As the winners of Group F, the Reds could also face Schalke, Olympiakos, Lyon or Fenerbahce, all of whom were runners-up in their respective groups.

United cannot face the runners-up from their own group, Roma, nor can they be drawn against another English team at this stage - thus ruling out Liverpool and Arsenal who were runners-up in Groups A and H respectively.

Sir Alex Ferguson will also be pleased that his side cannot play against the other group winners including AC Milan, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

The last 16 draw will take place in Nyon on Friday 21 December at 11:00 GMT.

United will be away for the first leg on 19/20 February 2008, and at home for the second leg on 4/5 March.

Profile: Celtic
    Have we met before? Yes, plenty of times. But last season’s meetings in the Champions League group stages were, surprisingly, the first competitive fixtures. After a compelling 3-2 win in September 2006 at Old Trafford, the Reds then slipped up at Celtic Park, losing 1-0 to a Shunsuke Nakamura free-kick. In truth, United were clearly the dominant team and should have won, or at least got a point but Louis Saha missed a late penalty.

Where do they play? Celtic Park's vociferous home crowd are certainly a weapon The Bhoys would try to use to maximum effect. Backed by 60,832 screaming Scots, Celtic Park makes for as intimidating an arena as you are likely to find in Europe.

How did they do in the group stages? Three wins, including a 2-1 success at home to AC Milan, were enough to see Celtic through. However, having failed to beat Milan, Shakhtar Donetsk and Benfica away from home, Celtic certainly have reason to be concerned about their form on the road.

Who’s the boss? Gordon Strachan. The fiery Scot has won two league titles, a Scottish Cup and the Scottish League Cup in his two-and-a-half years north of the border. It is the second time in two seasons that the former Coventry and Southampton manager has taken his side to the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Who’s their star man? A surprise choice perhaps but Aiden McGeady - or "Aideninho" as has been dubbed by some Celtic fans - is a tricky winger who can play on either flank.

Any European history? In 1967 they became the first British team to win the European Cup, a year before United were crowned the first English winners.

Profile: Fenerbahce

Have we met before? You'll remember well Wayne Rooney's debut hat-trick against the Turkish side at Old Trafford on 28 September 2004. The Reds won 6-2 that night. But after resting players for the final group game in Istanbul the Reds lost 3-0, meaning United would face a group winner in the last 16. An inexperienced Reds side drew AC Milan, who proved too strong.

Where do they play? Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium, Istanbul. It's the host for the 2009 UEFA Cup final and boasts a capacity of 50,509.

How did they do in the group stages? The Turkish champions lost only once in their six Group G games, and that was away to eventual group winners Internazionale. But they had already beaten the Italians on home turf - the only game where Inter dropped points - which proves Fenerbahce are capable of an upset.

Who’s the boss? Brazilian legend Zico. After a spell as Japan national team coach, where he won the Asian Cup in 2004 and took the squad to the 2006 World Cup, he took over at Fenerbahce and lifted the league and cup double in his first season.

Who’s their star man? Another Brazilian. Midfielder and club skipper Alex is influential. He has 67 international caps and is a pivotal figure for his club. He played in all six of Fenerbahce's group games.

Any European history? Despite their domestic dominance, Fenerbahce are yet to make any real impact on the European stage, although Zico has earned heavy praise for taking the Turkish side into the Last 16.

Profile: Olympique Lyonnais

Have we met before? Yes, twice. And United are unbeaten against the French champions. The Reds were 2-0 down at half time in the teams' first ever meeting in September 2004. But two second-half Ruud van Nistelrooy strikes earned a valuable point in Group D. A rare Gary Neville goal and another from van Nistelrooy gave the Reds victory back at Old Trafford later in the year.

Where do they play? Stade Gerland. Lyon plan to move to a new stadium in 2010, but for now this 43,051-capacity stadium remains their home.

How did they do in the group stages? Lyon are not as strong as they were a couple of seasons ago. They lost their opening two games - both 3-0 scorelines - to Barcelona and Rangers. But they recovered well and were unbeaten in their next four games, including a 3-0 win at Ibrox to seal their passage to the Last 16.

Who’s the boss? Former Portsmouth manager Alain Perrin. He lasted just eight months at Fratton Park before being sacked for poor results. Since taking over at Lyon in May 2007, Perrin has continued the success of Gerard Houllier as Lyon, who have won the Ligue 1 title six seasons in a row, currently remain top.

Who’s their star man? Juninho Pernambucano. The Brazilian is a tricky customer and a real goal threat. He already has three goals from six group stage matches. Dangerous from set-pieces.

Any European history? Despite being tipped by some as potential winners in recent seasons, Lyon have never got past the quarter finals, although they are almost certainly the toughest side United could face in this year's Last 16.

Profile: Olympiakos

Have we met before? United came up against Olympiakos in consecutive seasons at the start of the decade, winning on all four occasions. In fact, the Reds scored 12 goals in those matches, conceding just twice.

Where do they play? Karaiskákis Stadium, Piraeus, Greece. Holds 33,334 and is a 4-star rated stadium, along with the likes of Anfield, the City of Manchester Stadium and Sunderland's Stadium of Light.

How did they do in the group stages? Very well. The Greek side finished second, level on points with Group C winners Real Madrid. Unbeaten at home and surprisingly good on the road, two of Olympiakos' three victories were away to Lazio and Werder Bremen, while their 4-2 defeat in Madrid was skewed by the fact they played most of the game with 10 men.

Who’s the boss? Takis Lemonis. In his second spell as manager at the club, Lemonis has had to win over the Erythrolefki (Red-Whites) fans. However, their Champions League form and current second-place in the Greek Super League means he is now held in high regard.

Who’s their star man? Forwards Darko Kovacevic and Luciano Galletti got three goals each in the group games and will need to be watched.

Any European history? The furthest they have gone in the competition was in 1998-99 when they were knocked out at the quarter final stage by United's semi final opponents Juventus.

Profile: FC Schalke 04

Have we met before? No, this would be the teams' first meeting.

Where do they play? The Arena AufSchalke, or Veltins Arena, in Gelsenkirchen. Home of the 2004 Champions League final and five games in 2006 World Cup. Has a capacity of 53,951 for Champions League matches.

How did they do in the group stages? They finished second behind Chelsea in Group B, earning their place in the Last 16 with a 3-1 win over Rosenborg in the final match. They failed to score against both Chelsea and Valencia, who finished bottom of the group.

Who’s the boss? Mirko Slomka. The 40-year-old German coach isn't afraid to make big decisions. On the eve of the decisive match against Rosenborg he suspended three players - Ivan Rakitic, Mladen Krstajic and Jermaine Jones - for a breach of club discipline. The former assistant boss, who took over in 2006, is determined to make Schalke a "constant presence" in the Champions League.

Who’s their star man? Schalke are more a team than a collection of individual stars, but German international striker Kevin Kuranyi can be dangerous. He scored two of Schalke's five goals in Group B, and he's also got previous with United. He scored against the Reds when his then club Stuttgart beat United in Group E in October 2003.

Any European history? The club won its first European trophy in 1997, beating Internazionale on penalties in the UEFA Cup final.

Of the 5 teams: Schalke, Olympiakos, Lyon, Fenerbahce, Celtic

My personal Preference would be Celtic the rest of the team we are all unbeaten against them complacency may cause the down fall at least with Celtic we were beaten before or Schalke we got no chance to meet them as the are all along in UEFA Cup! So either Celtic or Schalke will keep us on our feet!

What u guys thinnk?

Papers: Ole's last hurrah
    20/12/2007 09:39Testimonial for Solskjaer
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks set for a bumper United testimonial match as part of next August's pre-season programme. The Reds' legend retired in August at the age of 34 following a losing battle with knee problems but the club will agree to a benefit match for the Norwegian. United have to wait until approached by a committee who are willing to organise the event. It is understood a team has been formed to arrange the match for Solskjaer and will in due course approach the club and ask for the free loan of Old Trafford, which will be a formality. United are flying out for a three-match tour of South Africa next July but a date on their return in the run-up to the new Premiership campaign would be the most likely available gap in the warm-up schedule. No opponents have yet been discussed.
    Stuart Mathieson, Manchester Evening News

In other news, Wayne Rooney believes new boss Fabio Capello as the best man to lead England back to glory.

Reds' goalkeeping coach Tony Coton has announced he is quitting the club. Coton, widely regarded as one of the best in his business, has been troubled by a persistent knee problem that has made it difficult for the 46-year-old to take part in training sessions with Edwin van der Sar, Tomasz Kuszczak and Ben Foster.

Patrice Evra has revealed his deep admiration for Sir Alex Ferguson, insisting: "When it comes to Alex Ferguson I just want to thank the Lord. Whatever may happen in the future, I have been trained by Alex Ferguson."

United legend Mark Hughes believes Arsenal’s current crop of young Guns could emulate the famous United Class of ’92.

Meanwhile, the club's former chairman Sir Roy Gardner is today poised to be named the first independent head of the Football Association.

Round up by Gemma Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Of the 5 teams: Schalke, Olympiakos, Lyon, Fenerbahce, Celtic

My personal Preference would be Celtic the rest of the team we are all unbeaten against them complacency may cause the down fall at least with Celtic we were beaten before or Schalke we got no chance to meet them as the are all along in UEFA Cup! So either Celtic or Schalke will keep us on our feet!

What u guys thinnk?
    Any team but the Turks....it is a hostile place to visit and some of the young United players might not be able to take the pressure I hope we draw against Lyon or Schalke

Man U plays Lyon

Draw is like this.

Celtic v Barcelona

Lyon v Man Utd

Schalke 04 v FC Porto

Liverpool v Inter Milan

Roma v Real Madrid

Arsenal v AC Milan

Olympiacos v Chelsea

Fenerbahce v FC Sevilla

Does this mean that the top 8 teams will possibly meet each other in the semi final?

Manure players are sickos, rape allegations, visit prostitutes, bleaaacchh.

Three Manchester United players are said to have 'roasted' a female party-goer at their Christmas party.

The girl, vaguely described as being 19 years old, is said to have had sex with up to six men at the Great John Street Hotel on Monday evening. Apparently delighted with her own performance, she is reported to have boasted after the encounter, "They said I was a great shag".

The Sun quotes another 'sickened' party-goer recalling: "I was upstairs in the hotel gossiping with a friend when I heard cheering and clapping noises coming from one of the rooms.

"We could hear the voices of around five or six men - together with the groaning noises of a girl who was clearly having sex.

"The men were shrieking like hyenas and shouting, 'Get in there'. My mate and I sat shocked as it was so vile.

"After a few minutes the men filed out of the room laughing, and rushed downstairs for more booze. I recognised three of them as members of the Manchester United squad - one of them a well-known name."

A few minutes later, the girl is said to have emerged from the hotel room. With a memorable narrative that conjures up so many images, the unnamed party-goer recounts:

"I asked if she was OK and she said, 'Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't I be? They said I was a great shag' and then she hobbled down the corridor."

Described as 'sickened', the guest then decided to leave.

"After that me and my mate left. I was shocked by the idea there had been an orgy at the party. It felt so sleazy."

Presumably, as one of the 100 or so 'pretty girls' hand-picked to keep the Manchester United players company during the evening, she expected the party to consist of a discussion about Hegel's philosophy and the literature of Kafka before a few waltzes on the dancefloor signalled the end of the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post

Three Manchester United players are said to have 'roasted' a female party-goer at their Christmas party.

The girl, vaguely described as being 19 years old, is said to have had sex with up to six men at the Great John Street Hotel on Monday evening. Apparently delighted with her own performance, she is reported to have boasted after the encounter, "They said I was a great shag".

The Sun quotes another 'sickened' party-goer recalling: "I was upstairs in the hotel gossiping with a friend when I heard cheering and clapping noises coming from one of the rooms.

"We could hear the voices of around five or six men - together with the groaning noises of a girl who was clearly having sex.

"The men were shrieking like hyenas and shouting, 'Get in there'. My mate and I sat shocked as it was so vile.

"After a few minutes the men filed out of the room laughing, and rushed downstairs for more booze. I recognised three of them as members of the Manchester United squad - one of them a well-known name."

A few minutes later, the girl is said to have emerged from the hotel room. With a memorable narrative that conjures up so many images, the unnamed party-goer recounts:

"I asked if she was OK and she said, 'Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't I be? They said I was a great shag' and then she hobbled down the corridor."

"After that me and my mate left. I was shocked by the idea there had been an orgy at the party. It felt so sleazy."

Presumably, as one of the 100 or so 'pretty girls' hand-picked to keep the Manchester United players company during the evening, she expected the party to consist of a discussion about Hegel's philosophy and the literature of Kafka before a few waltzes on the dancefloor signalled the end of the evening.

SO what is your point my fren ?

Draw is like this.

Celtic v Barcelona

Lyon v Man Utd

Schalke 04 v FC Porto

Liverpool v Inter Milan

Roma v Real Madrid

Arsenal v AC Milan

Olympiacos v Chelsea

Fenerbahce v FC Sevilla

Does this mean that the top 8 teams will possibly meet each other in the semi final?
    This is last 16 only. Yes will meet in the Quarters already.

OMG Lyon! Its quite possibility the toughest runner up team besides the English clubs. Think Liv lucky to get Inter. They seem to get KOed by quarters at most. Milan will have trouble with Arsenal's speed. They suay lah.

Nevermind, as long as they roast your Kop again and agian after season and season can already! Looking for hat-trick liao yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Nevermind, as long as they roast your Kop again and agian after season and season can already! Looking for hat-trick liao yeah!
    Lets look at football perspective

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    Lets look at football perspective
    Ok! Looks like we have a new signing. Dunno who or how good he is!

Man United sign striker Manucho

Manchester United have agreed to sign 24-year-old Angolan forward Manucho.
    The striker, who has been on trial at the club, will join from Angolan side Petro Athletico on a three-year deal.

"We have had Manucho here for a three-week trial and have been impressed enough to offer him a contract," said boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

"He is a tall, agile, quick forward and through contacts that Carlos (Queiroz) has, was brought to our attention around six months ago."

Manucho, whose real name is Mateus Alberto Contreiras Goncalves, arrives at Old Trafford in January subject to a work permit.

He joins Carlos Tevez, Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha and Dong Fangzhou in United's striking department.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...td/7156290.stm