Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3182326272829303338 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Park's festive return?

Ji-sung Park could provide United with some early Christmas cheer, with Sir Alex revealing the South Korea international is close to making his long-anticipated return.

Park, 26, hasn't played since damaging his knee against Blackburn Rovers in March but the manager told Manchester United Radio he expects the midfielder to feature in his plans soon.

"Ji-sung Park is now training with the first-team and should be ready in a couple of weeks," Sir Alex said. "He'll be back in the fold in about two weeks' time, I think."

Going on that prognosis, it's possible Park could find himself back on the pitch when Everton arrive at Old Trafford on Sunday 23 December. If so, nobody will be more pleased than the United boss.

"He's a terrific young player and his return will be a great boost for us," he said. "He gives us more options going forward, which is good news."

Giggs aims for 101 at Anfield

Ryan Giggs would like nothing more than to start a second century of league goals against Liverpool next Sunday.

After reaching 100 with the breakthrough goal against Derby, the Welshman told MUTV he's already thinking of next Sunday's trip to Anfield.

"If you're not involved in midweek, you start preparing now for Liverpool because it is such a big game," said Giggs, alluding to his likely rest against Roma.

"You've got to play well at Anfield to come away with a result."

United's result on Saturday owed a lot to the timing of Giggs' historic goal. With the Reds not quite firing on all cylinders, Derby looked to be digging in for a half-time stalemate.

"We didn't start too well," the Reds' no.11 admitted. "I don't know if the conditions had something to do with that because we weren't our normal slick selves in terms of our passing and moving.

"You couldn't really pass the ball across the pitch because it was getting caught up and we couldn't really get a rhythm to our game.

"We struggled before the goal so it was nice to score just before half-time. After that we relaxed a bit, kept the ball more and we got the second goal shortly after."

The second goal was bagged on the brink of half-time by Carlos Tevez.

"He's on fire at the moment. We're lucky so many players are playing well at the moment. Carlos and Cristiano are playing particularly well and Wayne has just come back so we're looking really good up front."

Interview: John O'Shea

John O’Shea may have played in virtually every position in the starting eleven, but United’s Mr Versatile insists there is only one role he really relishes and that’s simply being a Red.

And having secured his future with the club until 2012, the Irishman tells United Review that he is ready and willing to step in wherever and whenever required…

You recently extended your contract with the club – how easier a decision was that to make?
    Very easy. When you look at the success we’ve had and the talented squad we’ve got, it bodes very well for the future and it’s something I wanted to be a part of. Of course, I’d like to be playing more games, but at the same time I’m involved in all the matches and I know that I will get my chance. So it never crossed my mind about leaving. Luckily the club wanted me to stay and the contract was sorted out nice and quickly.

What are your ambitions for the coming few years - do you want to nail down one position?
    That would be lovely, but I also know that one of the main reasons I’ve played so many games for United is because I can play in so many different positions. If it happens, then great, but the manager knows I can do a job anywhere across the back four and in midfield, so there are a few slots that I’m available for. Louis Saha once said to me he couldn’t really think of many players who could play in so many different positions so it’s a positive thing and I’m always ready whenever the manager needs me.

Have you played more or less than you hoped so far this season?
    As a player you always want to play every match, but when you look at the squad we’ve got you know that the manager has a lot of options and sometimes you won’t be involved. But that’s part of being a Manchester United player and you have to live with that fact if you want to be here.

It obviously turned out to be a disappointing night, but how did it feel to captain the team against Coventry City?
    It was an amazing honour. It was quite strange to step out of the tunnel first in line, but the main thing that sticks in my mind about that night is the defeat. Nevertheless, it was a good learning curve for everyone and despite the result it’s something I’ll cherish for a long time.

There are three tricky away games coming up in December including the trip to Anfield. You must be hoping for a similar outcome to last season…
    Oh please yes! I scored an o.g against Liverpool [in September 2004] so last season cancelled that out and it’s definitely up there as one of the greatest moments of my career. I’m sure it will be on my mind on the day, especially if I come on in the last few minutes and the scoreline is level. I’d certainly love a repeat of such a special moment.
    Hope he continue to score but not own goals! against liverpool at anfield!

Reds' Italian test

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Unable to beat Coventry City in the Carling Cup earlier this season, United's youngsters will now be handed the task of toppling Italian giants AS Roma.

A number of first-team regulars are expected to be left behind when the Reds fly to Rome on Tuesday morning for the following night's Champions League group match, leaving room for some of Sir Alex's younger troops.

"There's no doubt we'll take some young kids," the manager told Manchester United Radio. "We've won the group and Roma are guaranteed second place, so there's no issue with us potentially affecting the outcome of the group.

"We wanted to give the young boys experience playing in the Carling Cup but they let themselves down against Coventry. Now there's a chance for the likes of Jonny Evans, Gerard Pique, Danny Simpson and Chris Eagles to elevate themselves. We know all about their ability but this is an opportunity for them to prove themselves.

"They won't be on their own, though. They'll have back-up from players like John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher, Michael Carrick, Louis Saha, Nani and Anderson. Cristiano Ronaldo might possibly be involved as well.

"We're not in the habit of sending teams out to lose. We'll be sending out a time that we think is good enough to win."
    SAF really confident with his youngster who can't beat conventry but to win ROMA at ROME some more!

Rooney leads young Reds

Wayne Rooney will captain United in the Champions league clash with Roma at the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday night.

Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson has taken a young squad to Rome for the meaningless final Group F match.

Wes Brown and Michael Carrick are the only other players besides Rooney who started against Derby County on Saturday.

Rooney has been handed the captaincy, after much persistence from the 22-year-old.

"He has been pestering me for ages so now he gets his chance," said Sir Alex. "I have no qualms about the decision.

"Wayne is a player with great determination and spirit. They are qualities similar to those of two or three of our captains of the past such as Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson and Roy Keane.

"Sometimes these are qualities that can help the team."

United squad: Kuszczak, Heaton, Brown, Eckersley, O'Shea, Pique, J.Evans, Simpson, Lee, Chester, Cleverley, Hewson, Nani, Eagles, Carrick, Fletcher, Dong, Brandy, Saha, Rooney.
    Wow... We have so many youngster!

Transfer Rumours: Dec 07

Four and a half years after missing out on his signature, rumours abound that Sir Alex Ferguson could finally sign Ronaldinho.

The Catalan club insist that they are "not going to sell Ronaldinho [and] are not in contact with any team" concerning the Brazilian forward.

Chelsea and AC Milan are seen as frontrunners to sign the 27-year-old should Barca decide to cash in. But the Sunday Mirror believes United could be his preferred choice.

United are also being linked with Reading left-back Nicky Shorey as cover for Patrice Evra, or Lokomotiv Moscow's versatile Serbian defender Branislav Ivanovic. An international team-mate of United's defensive rock Nemanja Vidic, Ivanovic would cost a reported £10million.
    Player
    Name Current Club Position Fee
    Ronaldinho Barcelona Forward £15million

Nicky Shorey Reading Defender Undisclosed

Stevan Jovetic Partizan Belgrade Striker Undisclosed

Branislav Ivanovic Lokomotiv Moscow Defender £10million

DEPARTURES:
    Player
    Name Linked With Position Fee
    Wes Brown Newcastle/Sunderland Defender Free

Veloso a no-go
    Sir Alex Ferguson has defended his assistant Carlos Queiroz over the row involving Sporting Lisbon midfielder Miguel Veloso, insisting the Reds are not interested in signing him.

Sporting chairman Filipe Soares Franco has accused the United No.2 of unsettling Veloso after reported comments from Queiroz praising the 21-year-old.

Queiroz defended his position, rejecting completely an allegation of being "ethically and morally very low", pointing out that he had never actually said the things Franco was responding to.

Sir Alex has added his backing and believes Franco should retract his comments.

"It is unfortunate the president has said this and it is more unfortunate that he has chosen Carlos as his target," said the United boss at a press conference in Rome.

"Carlos is not in the field of doing these things. His behaviour is impeccable and I feel the president should retract his comments.

"We have a good relationship with Sporting, which we have had for five years. We signed Ronaldo and Nani with no problems so why should we start to tap up a player when we have a good relationship with them.

"We are not interested in him and never have been."

OBE honour for Giggs

Ryan Giggs has collected an OBE from the Queen for services to football on Tuesday.

The 34-year-old Reds winger collected the award at Buckingham Palace.

Giggs, who was rested for United's dead-rubber Champions League Group F clash with AS Roma, was given the day off to attend the ceremony.

"It's a very proud day for me and my family," he said.

Giggs has played 736 times for United and scored his 100th league goal for the Reds against Derby County on Saturday.

He has won nine Premier League titles - more than any other player in English league history.

Giggs says that Sir Alex Ferguson had given him some prior advice.

"He has been down a couple of times before and just said enjoy it.

"I'm lucky to play for such a great club for such a long time and to have had a successful career."

Giggs' career at a glance
    Born: Cardiff, Wales
    Debut: Everton, 2 March 1991
    Appearances: 736
    Goals: 143
    Trophies:
    Premier League (9)
    FA Cup (4)
    League Cup (2)
    European Cup (1)
    Intercontinental Club Cup (1)
    Charity Shield (6)

12 more hrs to go!!! Boss backs starlets to shine

Sir Alex Ferguson is confident his United starlets will not be fazed by the task ahead of them on Wednesday night at the Stadio Olimpico.

The Reds' boss has brought a decidedly youthful squad to Rome in a bid to provide the club's next generation with some vital Champions League experience after United assured themselves of top spot in Group F with victory over Sporting Lisbon two weeks ago.

The likes of Gerard Pique, Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans are all set to be handed a starting berth against Roma on Wednesday night. And despite suffering an embarrassing Carling Cup against Coventry City back in September, Sir Alex is confident they won't let him down this time round.

"We don't want to send teams out here to get humiliated or embarrassed, that's for sure," he insisted at his pre-match briefing in the Italian capital.

"We expect any Manchester United team we field to be 100 per cent committed and I'm sure you'll see that on Wednesday night."

The Reds will be up against a Roma side whom Sir Alex believes are a much stronger outfit that last season. He was also full of praise for the way the club have stood by manager Luciano Spalletti following their humiliating 7-1 defeat at Old Trafford in April.

"When a coach in Italy loses a game 7-1, normally the guns come out and you are dead before morning," declared the United boss.

"But they trusted Luciano and stood by him. He has repaid that trust because he is an excellent coach and I am very pleased his team is doing well now."

The Reds lost out 2-1 to the Italians in the first leg of last season's quarter-final, an occasion which was marred by clashes between supporters and local police. Sir Alex remains hopeful there will be no repeat of such scenes this time round.

"Everyone who loves the game does not want to see the incidents we saw last year," he said. "Roma don't want it and Manchester United do not want it. The reputations of both clubs are very important.

"We dearly hope there are no problems and some lessons will have been learned from last season."
    Last edited by melvin; 12th December 2007 at 03:49 PM.

Not bad a result against Roma. Not only managed to avoid defeat but also scored. Roma was a bit slack but they also field more senior players, so its quite a good result.

As group champions, these are the runner up teams that Man Utd are likely to face in the last 16:

Schalke 04, Olympiakos, Celtic, Lyon and Fenerbahce.

Will not face Roma as same group and follow English runner ups; Arsenal and Liverpool.

Rooney will love Fenerbahce. Hope to avoid Lyon, Schalke 04 and maybe Celtic.

Chelsea will face the same teams as Man Utd except Schalke 04 replaced by Roma.

Liverpool will have a choice of AC Milan, Inter, Real Madrid, Seville or Barcelona. Arsenal will have similar opponants but will be Porto instead of Seville.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    As group champions, these are the runner up teams that Man Utd are likely to face in the last 16:

Schalke 04, Olympiakos, Celtic, Lyon and Fenerbahce.

Will not face Roma as same group and follow English runner ups; Arsenal and Liverpool.

Rooney will love Fenerbahce. Hope to avoid Lyon, Schalke 04 and maybe Celtic.
    Lyon quite solid leh.... anyway, there's a very good chance that we beat any of them...

Todays paper say Man U is either bound to draw or lose.

Kenneth Goh, if you are reading this, you are well bloody biased sports writer against Man U . Today is not the first time u write something unfavourably. THen again what do local writers know

Even Mark Lawrenson also predicted the 1 nil win for his beloved LFC.

I am one never wanna speculate much. Just watch the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    Todays paper say Man U is either bound to draw or lose.

Kenneth Goh, if you are reading this, you are well bloody biased sports writer against Man U . Today is not the first time u write something unfavourably. THen again what do local writers know

Even Mark Lawrenson also predicted the 1 nil win for his beloved LFC.

I am one never wanna speculate much. Just watch the game.
    Its good leh. Man Utd always triump when backed into a corner and the odds are stacked against us. That is what they said last year too, that Liverpool will beat us and after selling RVN, wrote off our chances of the title. Well needless to say we went on to win it in style and shut them up.

But those ESPN guys are tipping for a Man Utd win. How I wish we are the underdogs and then give them a rude whack like John O'Shea did last year.

Soccer is all about feet and not mouth, so let them be

we are in great form now. I bet we will win tmrw. I predict a 1-0 win with rooney scoring

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Its good leh. Man Utd always triump when backed into a corner and the odds are stacked against us. That is what they said last year too, that Liverpool will beat us and after selling RVN, wrote off our chances of the title. Well needless to say we went on to win it in style and shut them up.

But those ESPN guys are tipping for a Man Utd win. How I wish we are the underdogs and then give them a rude whack like John O'Shea did last year.
    If Man U plays like they did against LFC, then I can expect gols

Knowing LFC they will stiffle the midfield, so can expect defenders to score, just remember Pallister, Silvestre, O Shea, Ferdinand

Hardfought victory.

I hope Rafa stays on at LFC

lol even our reserves can do the job! We win again! Anfield is an easy place to play these days!

yeah, both sides definetely fought very hard. very good game and it could have gone both ways.
    GG!
    Photo Album - Photo Album