Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14192223242526293449 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

if break away and form an european "elite league". no one will watch domestic leagues like EPL, seria A liao lol.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

if break away and form an european "elite league". no one will watch domestic leagues like EPL, seria A liao lol.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Nolan fires warning

Bolton captain Kevin Nolan has warned United the Trotters' lowly league position could lull them into a false sense of security at the Reebok Stadium this weekend.

New boss Gary Megson has inspired confidence in the team, which currently presides over a bottom three position in the Premier League.

In the last six games Bolton have lost one and drawn five, which suggests there has been a return to the stubbornness that characterised Sam Allardyce's teams during his time in charge.

Skipper Nolan says Wanderers are on the up. "I certainly believe we'll be in the top ten come the end of the season," he told the official Bolton website.

"I can see what's been going on over the last couple of weeks and I've seen the quality of players we have here."

The fact is Bolton have won just once all season and conceded 18 goals in 13 matches, scoring just 11. So Nolan isn't fooling himself into thinking anything other than a long gruelling season lies ahead.

"There is a long way to go and I know I am being optimistic but our confidence is back, and once we get a few wins I really believe we'll be in the top ten later in the season."

Anelka could face Reds

Bolton's Nicolas Anelka may be fit to face United in Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash at the Reebok Stadium.

Trotters manager Gary Megson had ruled the striker out with an ongoing hamstring injury, but Anelka's surprise midweek cameo for France has thrust him back into contention.

French manager Raymond Domenech claims the extent of the striker's injury had been exaggerated, but Megson insists the initial six-week prognosis was an honest one.

"I would never even go near questioning the integrity of medical personnel," he said. "Our doctor sent over the scans and gave his opinion on the situation with Nicolas.

"The French coach has had his say and I'm aware that he played 28 minutes for them, but he's come back fit and well so there's not an issue now.

"He's played that 28 minutes, but he's been travelling around Europe, so we'll see how he is and I'm hopeful he'll be out there on Saturday."

11.5hrs to go!!! Another 4-0 win?

Match Pack: Bolton

United take on Bolton Wanderers on Saturday looking to maintain a record of five straight league wins at the Reebok Stadium. But after a shaky start Wanderers are showing signs of turning their season around under new boss Gary Megson.

Form guide: Wanderers are in 18th place with one win in 13 this season. But they're unbeaten since former West Brom, Forest and Leicester boss Megson took charge. Their recent 2-2 draw at Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup seems to indicate a change in fortunes. United on the other hand, with 28 points from the last 30 available, will go top by bettering Arsenal's result at home to Wigan Athletic.

Ins and outs: Wayne Rooney (ankle) and Paul Scholes (knee) will be absent. Gary Neville is reportedly close to a return, but it's unclear if he'll make his first appearance since United beat Bolton 4-1 in March. Bolton have a number of players coming back from injury, including El Hadji Diouf (ankle), Joey O'Brien (both hamstring) and Nicky Hunt (shoulder). Nicolas Anelka has missed the last four games with a hamstring strain but should return after playing for France last week.

Star men: Bolton still have Gary Speed pulling the strings in midfield, Kevin Nolan chipping in with important goals and Anelka providing pace up front. United will hope Cristiano Ronaldo scores at the Reebok again, especially in the absence of Rooney - a hat-trick hero in last season's corresponding game.

What are the odds? The Reds won 4-0 on that last visit to the Reebok and you can get 18/1 on a repeat. Ronaldo is 9/2 to score first.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Anelka could face Reds

This guy is danger. He is very keen on a move to a big club and was keen to move to Man Utd. He might be fired up and try to impress Fergie. Danger!

Man Utd really need a new striker. Rooney is injured. Saha isn't reliable, may just conk out again and Tevez seem jaded for Argie.

Unless Fergie use Ronaldo or Anderson as a striker but will scarifice midfield's creativity. Maybe its time to unleash the Dong?

duno what utd doing for the first time..

As long as Giggs is on the field, we got no hope

Bolton 1 - 0 Man Utd
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Ar its ok.... history states that the team leading the table at christmas will not win the title. The only exception was chelski
    AUTOMOTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY FUELLED BY CANON
    http://WWW.MARCUSLI.COM

We score another win here....3/10 best EPL keeper

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle373230.ece

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Bolton 1 - 0 Man Utd
    Bad result mans. Si lang Anelka really come and haunt us. Think he is really keen on a move.

Yeah but I think its alright as long as we keep touch with Arsenal. Come Mar/Apr will be the crunch time. Dec will be interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Bad result mans. Si lang Anelka really come and haunt us. Think he is really keen on a move.

Yeah but I think its alright as long as we keep touch with Arsenal. Come Mar/Apr will be the crunch time. Dec will be interesting....
    I think Anelka is sending signal to SAF: u better sign me if not i will keep scoring against u!

Well another defeat after a streek of wins...haiz....

What a close win coming back from a goal down goals by Tevez n Ronaldo!

Ronaldo injury time goal help us maintain 100% record! And Gunners buang 3-1!

Report: United 2 Sporting 1

Cristiano Ronaldo was the match-winner against former side Sporting Lisbon for the second time this season, firing home a stunning injury-time free kick as United came from behind to maintain their 100 per cent record in this season's Champions League.

The Reds had seemed set to make do with a solitary point, having drawn level through Carlos Tevez's second-half strike after Sporting defender Abel had given the visitors a shock lead after 21 minutes.

The result means United are now guaranteed to progress to the knockout stages as Group F winners, regardless of the result in next month's group finale against second-placed Roma.

Although qualification was already ensured, Sir Alex Ferguson fielded a strong side, and started the match with a 4-3-3 formation with spearhead Louis Saha flanked by Nani and Ronaldo, both lining up for the second time this season against their former side.

It was the two Sporting old-boys who were involved in Unitedís early attacking passages, but both spurned half-openings when there were other more viable options.

Ronaldo impudently created an opening for Louis Saha with a delightful backheeled pass, but the Frenchmanís low right-footed shot arced wide of the far post. It was Unitedís clearest opening in the first half, and they would rue that miss just two minutes later as the visitors moved ahead.

Picking the ball up from Miguel Veloso Ė who, earlier this week, Carlos Queiroz admitted had featured on Unitedís scouting radar Ė right-back Abel advanced down the right wing.

Goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak, like everyone else inside the ground bar Abel, was expecting a cross and advanced from his line in anticipation. The Sporting right back took full advantage and blasted a shot inside the Poleís near post from virtually on the touchline.

Old Trafford was stunned into silence. Even the small pocket of Sporting fans seemed hesitant to celebrate, so unexpected had been the opening goal. They were in far more vocal mood five minutes later when Brazilian striker Liedson turned in Velosoís mishit shot, only for the celebrations to be cut short by a linesmanís flag.

United, with far less to play for than their qualification-chasing visitors, were looking second best and found it difficult to forge any clear-cut openings of their own.

It was clearly with that in mind that Ryan Giggs and Tevez were introduced as half-time substitutes, replacing Darren Fletcher and Nani respectively. The fresh legs certainly injected new vigour into Unitedís approach.

Within 15 minutes of the restart, Ronaldo and Nemanja Vidic had both headed Giggs set-pieces wide, while Saha had dallied on Tevezís through-ball and allowed Sporting to clear.

It was of little surprise that Unitedís dominance yielded an equaliser just after the hour. Even less shock value could be attributed to the fact that the livewire Tevez was the scorer.

A blazing run from Patrice Evra rescued a loose ball and his cross was deflected to Ronaldo via Saha. The Portuguese winger somewhat skewed his shot, but it clipped first Marian Had and then Tevez en route to the back of the net.

There was a touch of fortune and bewilderment about the equaliser, but no doubting Unitedís credentials for parity. It was almost short-lived, however, as Veloso sent a scorching drive onto the roof of Kuszczakís net from 30 yards just two minutes later.

Although victory was far from imperative in a consequential sense, it was clear that United were intent on posting an eighth straight home victory in Europe. The Redsí attacking play continued apace, and Ronaldo was twice within inches of putting the hosts ahead.

First he sent a diving header into the side netting, having thrown himself full-length at a Tevez cross, before sending a clipped effort past the top corner from just inside the area.

Sir Alex then sent on Owen Hargreaves at the expense of Louis Saha, and the England midfielderís first contribution was to force Patricio into saving with his legs, having latched onto a clipped through-ball from Anderson.

It was that boy Ronaldo, however, who had the final say once more against his former side. With two of four alotted injury time minutes up, the winger stepped up to fire one of his trademark swerving, dipping set-pieces past the helpless Patricio and into the net.

United: Kuszczak; OíShea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Fletcher (Giggs, 46), Carrick, Anderson, Nani (Tevez, 46); Ronaldo, Saha (Hargreaves, 79).
    Subs not used: Van der Sar, Brown, Pique, Simpson.

Sporting Lisbon: Patricio; Abel, Tonel, Polga, Had; Veloso, Moutinho, Izmailov (Pereirinha, 81), Romagnoli (Vukcevic, 68); Purovic (Farnerud, 80), Liedson.
    Subs not used: Tiago, Silva, Gladstone, Paez.

Boss: Tevez tipped the balance

Carlos Tevez came off the bench to save United's 100 per cent Champions League record on Tuesday night, to the relief of his manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Reds were heading towards defeat and therefore a difficult final group match in Rome until the Argentine striker entered the fray as a half-time substitute. Ryan Giggs also came on to help turn the tide against a Sporting Lisbon side fighting to stay in the competition.

"The substitutes brought better impetus, better rhythm and more speed to our game and we looked more like ourselves," Sir Alex told MUTV.

"I think Tevez made the difference. Ryanís experience helps of course, and he showed great confidence and composure on the ball. But Tevez was the one who kept running at them, turning them and moving all the time. He became a handful for them."

Cristiano Ronaldo was also a handful against his former club - but only after Tevez and Giggs joined him on the pitch. The first half was forgettable for all those in red as Sporting took a shock lead through Abel's stunning shot from a crossing position on the right wing.

"If you donít exert your influence at home in Europe then you can leave yourself open to embarrassment," said Sir Alex.

"The goal we lost was a bit bizarre - I think it was bad defending by us - and I think it gave them a real foot in the game. I just felt there was no impetus in our game, our possession of the ball wasnít great and I felt I needed to make changes at half-time."

By full-time, United had the maximum 15 points from five matches thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo's glorious free kick goal. Without it, the Reds would have needed to avoid defeat by two goals in Rome in order to keep top spot in Group F and a favourable seeding in the last 16 draw.

"If (we had drawn and) Roma had beaten us 2-0 over there, they would have won the group and we couldnít afford that.

"Cristianoís strike in the third minute of injury time was very welcome and a fantastic hit. Heís done it time and time again. But he shows great respect to his old club (Sporting Lisbon) and quite rightly too because he was brought up by them since he was a little kid. He owes them a lot."

After the toothless defeat at Bolton, things are looking up again on United's attacking front. Sir Alex is backing Ronaldo to beat his goals tally of last season - "Heís got all the ammunition to be a top goal scorer" - and looking forward to welcoming back Wayne Rooney at home to Fulham next Monday.

"Wayne should be back," confirmed Sir Alex.

"Heís been training well for the last couple of days. I think heíll be back."

Ronny: We've got what it takes

Cristiano Ronaldo feels that, having won all their Champions League fixtures so far this season, United are showing that they have the wherewithal to win the competition for a third time.

On Tuesday evening, the Portuguese winger hit an injury-time winner against Sporting Lisbon to give United 15 points from their opening five Group F games, and Ronaldo is already relishing next year's second round matches.

"It's fantastic, I think we're in a good way," he told MUTV. "We've won all our games and we're playing well. We play the way we like to see Manchester play and in the second round I hope we do the same job. I think we have the team, group and coaches, everything to win the Champions League."

Having deliberately failed to celebrate his winner on Matchday 1 against former side Sporting, Ronaldo couldn't let his dramatic free-kick go without recognition at Old Trafford.

"Anderson caught me and told me to do something for my mum, my family and I said ok," he said. "But my conscience is still the same and the people will understand.

"I always try to score, and I am happy to score again - but not just because it's Sporting. I said before, the people of Sporting respect me and I respect Sporting, but my colours now are red and I feel that's for good."

Papers: Veloso is top target

28/11/2007 09:48United chase £20 Veloso
    Manchester United assistant boss Carlos Queiroz has admitted that bringing Sporting Lisbon wonder-kid Miguel Veloso to Old Trafford has become a "priority". Veloso, 21, is on United's wanted list - but Real Madrid, Arsenal and Inter Milan are all monitoring him closely. Queiroz says Veloso is among the top young players in the world, and United are considering making a move even though Sporting have stuck a £20million price tag on his head. "It is impossible to ignore good players and we are following the evolution of some top players," said Queiroz. "One is Veloso. He would be hard to ignore."
    Staff writer, Daily Mirror

The papers roundly praise Cristiano Ronaldo for his stunning, match-winning free-kick. The Daily Mail described it as his "customary brilliance", the Mirror called it "exquisite", while The Sun said his strike was a "wonder-goal".

Sir Alex Ferguson supposedly told a "pal", who then told The Sun, that Jose Mourinho should be the next England manager. "If the FA consult me about it, I'll give them a shortlist of one - and tell them to get Mourinho," the United boss is reported to have been telling his mates.

Round up by Ben Hibbs

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Papers: Veloso is top target

What?! I tot we need a striker! But this guy can play left back and if Man Utd sign him for this position, then I think its quite a signing as he can also play defensive midfield.

Phew! What a win. 5 games win 5 and we top our group! Roma game can relax liao and field the young players.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    What?! I tot we need a striker! But this guy can play left back and if Man Utd sign him for this position, then I think its quite a signing as he can also play defensive midfield.

Phew! What a win. 5 games win 5 and we top our group! Roma game can relax liao and field the young players.
    I think they will try to create history by having unbeaten 100% runs in CL!

Veloso should be another good buy snice he can play left back! Hopefully SAF add on another striker ....but who is available? Anelka?
    Last edited by melvin; 29th November 2007 at 05:13 PM.

Schmeichel: Reds can be great
    Reds legend Peter Schmeichel believes United's current players have the potential for greatness providing they can cope with the pressure of past glories.

Sir Alex Ferguson believes the current squad is the strongest he's had during his 21-year reign, but says they will have to back it up with trophies.

Schmeichel, who was part of both '94 and '96 Double-winning sides and the Treble-winning '99 team, has been hugely impressed by United's new generation. But he says the club's rich history can sometimes weigh heavily on a player's shoulders at Old Trafford.

"The history of the club is something that is constantly breathing down your neck when youíre a United player," Schmeichel told ManUtd.com at a coaching session in Manchester, organised by Ford. "That history and the expectation level makes you go that one step further than any other player at any other club in the world.

"When I first joined, the history we had to deal with was the Busby Babes, 1968 and the fact that we hadnít won the title for over 20 years. The desperation to win it was incredible and we all felt that.

"The current squad did brilliantly to win it last season and they have a great chance to go on to big things, but they have history on their shoulders as well because they have í99 to contend with which is a hell of a year to compete with.

"So, of course, the manager has got to go out there and say theyíre the best squad heís had. He has to make the players believe that and thatís a good way of doing it.

"He's said it in the past when I was there and after I left. What heís basically saying is Iím extremely happy with what Iíve got and I love to work with these players. Thatís exactly what they need to hear and what the fans need to hear. If Sir Alex is happy United will win matches which is the most important thing."

Like many Reds, Schmeichel still finds it hard to believe that Sir Alex only has one European Cup to his name. The former goalkeeper skippered United to their solitary triumph under the Scot on that unforgettable night in Barcelona in '99, bringing to a close an eight-year career at Old Trafford.

Schmeichel insists luck plays a crucial part during the latter stages of the competition and he says United have just not had the rub of the green at vital moments over the last few years.

"The fact that Sir Alex has only won one European Cup is definitely something that niggles him," says the Great Dane. "There's no reason why he couldnít have won a second one, but once you get down to the last four like United did last season it becomes a lottery. And things just havenít gone their way at the important times in the important games.

"They have a great chance to win the Champions League every season and I'd love to see them do it this time round."