Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6910111213162136 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

The top 50 Manchester United moments

50 Stock Exchange flotation, 1991
    United were not the first football club to take this route, but it helped consolidate their position as the wealthiest outfit in the country.

49 Thrashed by Barcelona, 1994
    United harboured hopes of becoming European champions but – hampered by the rule that restricted foreign players and classed non-English players from the British Isles as such – they were put firmly in their place by Romario, Stoichkov and Co.

48 Betting scandal, 1915
    With United in danger of relegation from the top division, three of their players conspired with four Liverpool players to fix the match. All were banned for life.

47 Playing at home in Plymouth, 1977
    Hooliganism followed United during the mid-1970s and, as punishment for their fans’ behaviour in the first leg away to St Etienne, they had to play the return at least 200 kilometres from Manchester, and duly progressed after a 2-0 win at Home Park.

46 Louis Edwards scandal, 1980
    Granada Television’s World in Action programme accused United chairman Louis Edwards of suspect dealing in the meat industry and bribing the parents of schoolboy players. The police and football authorities began investigating but Edwards soon died of a heart attack, leaving the inquires to peter out.

45 Whiteside’s winner, 1985
    Norman Whiteside had already shown his liking for the big occasion by scoring in the FA Cup and League Cup finals of 1983 and playing in the 1982 World Cup finals. Facing Everton, the league champions, in the 1985 FA Cup Final in a United side down to ten men, he curled a brilliant shot home in extra-time to ensure a 1-0 win.

44 MUTV launched, 1998
    To emphasise their ambition and commercial standing, United formed their own television channel, three years before any other English club. Chelsea TV followed in 2001.

43 Signing of Rooney, 2004
    Wayne Rooney was English football’s hottest property for years so United flexed their financial muscle to prize him from Everton for a transfer fee of up to £29million.

42 Michael Knighton’s juggling, 1989
    The prospective owner played keepy-uppy in the sunshine before the opening-day hammering of Arsenal but the deal fell through amid claims that he could not find backers.

41 Ray Wood’s injury, 1957
    United were firm favourites to complete the first League and Cup Double of the 20th century but Peter McFarland’s violent foul on Ray Wood after six minutes forced the United goalkeeper off. In the days before substitutes and proper punishment for foul play, United had to play 10 against 11 (instead of 11 against 10) and duly lost 2-1.

40 Holders drop the FA Cup, 2000
    Apparently encouraged by the FA to play in the inaugural Club World Championship in Brazil, United withdrew from the FA Cup having won it the previous season. They were criticised for showing a lack of respect to the famous competition.

39 Barcelona blown away, 1984
    After losing the first leg of their Cup Winners’ Cup quarter-final 2-0 in Spain, United stormed back on a raucous night at Old Trafford to beat Diego Maradona’s side 3-0, with two goals from Bryan Robson and one from Frank Stapleton.

38 Docherty’s affair, 1977
    Newspapers revealed that manager Tommy Docherty was having an affair with Mary Brown, wife of United physio Laurie, so United, embarrassed by the scandal, sacked him.

37 Giggs’ weaving run, 1999
    United were a man down in extra-time of their FA Cup semi-final replay against Arsenal when Ryan Giggs intercepted Patrick Vieira’s pass on the halfway line and swayed around several challenges before blasting the winner and baring his chest. The goal gave United the belief that they could achieve the treble.

36 Comeback at Anfield, 1988
    The league table showed United were inferior to Liverpool throughout the 1980s yet they raised their game when up against their bitter rivals. Facing one of the great Liverpool sides, they fell 3-1 behind but, with ten men, recovered to draw 3-3, extending their league record against the Merseysiders to one defeat in 17 games. Gordon Strachan celebrated his equaliser provocatively, pretending to smoke a cigar

35 Kung-fu fighting, 1995
    Eric Cantona had a unique way of dealing with life’s problems so, when a spectator abused him at Selhurst Park in the match against Crystal Palace, he launched his feet into the man’s chest and was banned for eight months.

34 Agonising collapse, 1992
    Nerves and a congested fixture list foiled United’s pursuit of a first league title for 25 years. Defeats in late April at home to Nottingham Forest and away to West Ham United and a draw away to Luton Town, all in the space of five days, left Leeds United in pole position. The failure only added to the sense of exhilaration when the holy grail was finally reached a year later.

33 BSkyB’s failed takeover, 1998
    Fourteen years after Robert Maxwell proved unable to take control of United, Rupert Murdoch tried his luck and seemed to have got his way when the club recommended that shareholders accept BSkyB’s offer. But, after the deal had been referred to the Monopolies and Mergers Commission, the Department of Trade and Industry blocked it.

32 Robson signs, 1981
    Ron Atkinson described Robson as “pure gold” when signing the England midfield player from West Bromwich Albion and the player repaid the compliment by helping to ensure United finished in the top four throughout the manager’s five-year reign.

31 Fergie gives Beckham the boot, 2003
    Angered by David Beckham’s supposedly failure to mark an opponent when Arsenal scored in their FA Cup win at Old Trafford, Sir Alex Ferguson kicked a boot that flew at David Beckham, scarring his forehead. It symbolised the manager’s frustration at the celebrity circus surrounding the player and Beckham was sold at the end of the season.

30 United turn on Wembley style, 1948
    In what was considered one of the great FA Cup Finals, United beat Blackpool 4-2 to help create their reputation for stylish football that remains today.

29 Nike deal, 2002
    The sportswear company agreed to give United £300million over the next 13 years, cementing their position as England’s richest club.

28 Giggs swaps sides, 1988
    Ryan Giggs played at Manchester City as a schoolboy but he was poached by United, who have been repaid with 15 years of flair, consistency and success.

27 Saints Day, 1976
    United reached their first FA Cup Final in 13 years in 1976 when they met Southampton. While the game ended in a surprising defeat, it established United’s habit of reaching this fixture – five times in ten years from 1976 to 1985 – just as the game was being shown around the world in more and more countries on television, thereby increasing their worldwide following.

26 United almost third rate, 1934
    Only a last-day win away to Millwall saved United from relegation to the third tier. Such was their lowly status in the 1930s that just 3,900 watched the match against Middlesbrough in 1931.
    Last edited by afbug; 11th October 2007 at 10:12 PM.

25 Fergie’s U-turn, 2002
    Sir Alex Ferguson had announced that he would retire at the end of the 2001-02 season and the campaign started badly. The manager decided he couldn’t get let go, though, and stayed to engineer further league titles in 2003 and 2007.

24 United raid City, 1906
    Manchester City were forced to sell a raft of players after making illegal payments, while Billy Meredith also had to leave them for allegedly bribing an Aston Villa player. An auction was planned where all clubs could attempt to buy them but United courted and signed four in advance in secret, including Meredith, angering their rivals. The new players helped United win their first trophies, the league titles of 1908 and 1911 and the FA Cup of 1909.

23 Denis Law arrives, 1962
    The Scotland striker was signed from Torino and became European Footballer of the Year in 1964 and a cult hero at Old Trafford.

22 Busby steps down, 1969
    Sir Matt Busby had built up Manchester United almost single-handedly so the decision to maintain his enormous presence in the background, as general manager, seemed to hamper Wilf McGuiness, his successor. A decline set in.

21 Title collapse, 1986
    United had begun the season in scintillating style with ten successive victories and seemed likely to end their long search for the league title. But their challenge gradually fell apart and they lost the lead in February on a weekend when they were beaten by West Ham United at Upton Park.

20 Old Trafford is bombed, 1939-1945
    The war-time damage inflicted on Old Trafford forced United to play at Manchester City’s Maine Road ground until 1949. It reinforced the feeling that the club had to start again from scratch having not won a trophy since 1911, and they did so to great effect.

19 Cantona signs, 1992
    Almost as an after thought, Sir Alex Ferguson asked Leeds United if he might be allowed to have Eric Cantona and he was granted his wish for just £1 million. The France forward inspired four league titles in his five seasons at the club and galvanised the young players with his diligent training.

18 Relegation, 1974
    The shock of demotion six years after conquering Europe shook up the club. Tommy Docherty built an exciting team that attracted the highest average attendances in the country despite playing in the second tier and they stormed back to the top flight.

17 Old Trafford expands, 2006
    The increase in capacity to 76,000 meant the stadium held 16,000 more seats than any other English club.

16 Robins keeps Fergie bobbing along, 1990
    Sir Alex Ferguson was thought to be close to the sack but Mark Robins scored the only goal in the FA Cup third round tie away to Nottingham Forest and United went on to win the manager’s first trophy, buying him time that he put to good use.

15 Fergie’s Jimmy Hill outburst, 1994
    After television highlighted a foul by Eric Cantona in United’s FA Cup victory away to Norwich City, Sir Alex Ferguson showed he had little time for perceived unfair media criticism, accusing the BBC’s football panel of being Liverpool fans and announcing that “Jimmy Hill is a prat” – a line that was repeated in front-page headlines the following day.

14 League title, 1952
    In the season when the phrase “Busby Babes” was first mentioned, United won their first league championship under Sir Matt Busby.

13 Keane joins United, 1993
    Roy Keane had told Blackburn Rovers he would sign for them from Nottingham Forest but United intervened and the Irishman changed his mind. He was their driving force from midfield for 12 years.

12 American nightmare, 2005
    A club with no debt was plunged deeply into the red via the takeover by Malcolm Glazer and his family. Many United fans were so aghast that they formed their own club, FC United.

11 Perfect ten, 1956
    United shrugged off the opposition of English football authorities to become European pioneers. They won their first home match 10-0 against Anderlecht.

10 Entertainment, please, 1981
    Jose Mourinho’s recent dismissal by Chelsea was far from the first case of a manager losing his job because his team’s football was too dull. Dave Sexton had just finished the season with seven successive league wins but he was ditched in favour of the extrovert Ron Atkinson, who brought a flamboyancy to United’s play.

9 George Best emerges, 1963
    The swaggering Northern Irishman is widely considered to have been the greatest British player and his presence helped swell interest in United during the 1960s.

8 Keane’s prawn sandwich blast, 2000
    Roy Keane was so angered by the criticism from the corporate areas of Old Trafford during the Champions League match against Dynamo Kiev that he dismissed their occupants as prawn sandwich eaters who had little knowledge of the game.

7 Bruce’s header, 1993
    United had trailed at home to Sheffield Wednesday until late in the game in the league run-in but, after conjuring up the equaliser, Steve Bruce added the winning goal deep into stoppage time to leave Brian Kidd, the assistant manager, on his knees on the pitch in delight and United ahead of Aston Villa in the table. Three weeks later they wrapped up their first league title in 26 years.

6 Bobby Charlton’s debut, 1956
    As perhaps the most famous English player of all time, his presence in the team for 17 years helped to make United famous around the world.

5 The Nou Camp, 1999
    United’s first European Cup for 31 years and the first such League-FA Cup-European Cup treble by an English team were achieved through two goals in stoppage time against Bayern Munich in the final.

4 European champions at last, 1968
    Ten years after the destruction in a plane crash of the United team that had seemed destined to win the European Cup, Sir Matt Busby guided a rebuilt side to glory against Benfica on an emotional night at Wembley.

3 Fergie’s appointment, 1986
    Sir Alex Ferguson became manager, kicked out the drinkers, overhauled the youth system and achieved his stated aim of knocking Liverpool off their perch.

2 Munich air crash, 1958
    Eight United players were killed when their plane crashed in Munich after a refuelling stop on the return from a European Cup tie in Belgrade. The wiping out of the standard bearers of English football brought world-wide sympathy for the club and fired imaginations as to what they might have achieved.

1 Busby’s arrival, 1945
    United were just another medium-sized club when Sir Matt Busby became manager after the war and he, more than anyone, was responsible for turning them into giants of the world game, building three great teams and laying down a philosophy of attacking football.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sp...icle2624171.ece

红魔曼联宝刀出鞘 , 又谁能于其争锋呢?

道高一尺,魔高一丈

Come...come, Kaka. You'll be happier as a Red Devil.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Denis, George and me

In this extract from Sir Bobby Charlton's autobiography, the Reds legend waxes lyrical about United's ‘Holy Trinity’...

I do not like to think of myself as a boastful person, but sometimes you have to be honest. You have to put aside false modesty. So I have to report that when people started reeling off phrases like ‘the Big Three’, when the names Law, Best and Charlton were linked so frequently and so naturally, it did come to me that I had become part of football history.

This was not something I stepped back to consider later, as a little dust gathered on a shoal of headlines. It was deeply thrilling at the time, with the excitement of the fans becoming a little more apparent each time we ran on to the field. For me, the records and the emerging of aristocracy in football had always been so fascinating from a boyhood watching the great names and keeping company with Jackie Milburn. It was something that would never pall down all the years.

Having put aside the frustrations of playing out on the left wing, I was more confident in my ability than ever before. The results for the team were increasingly solid, and this meant the expectations placed on Denis, George and me had rapidly become more an inspiration than a burden. We went about our football in contrasting ways, Denis sending sparks and flames up around him, George going on his amazing runs with trickery and courage that just welled out of him, me with my liking for the bold pass and the big, swirling shot. We had one abiding thing in common. We loved to score goals. About the town and the country you had the growing sense that football fans had a feeling they just had to see us play. If they didn’t, they might miss George finding a full back to his liking, or Denis producing flashes of lightning, or me profiting again from Jimmy Murphy’s advice to hit the ball hard and early when I was in scoring range.

We brought different qualities to the field, separate abilities, but as each game passed they seemed to become a little more complementary. Of course there were times when George disappeared on his own flight of fancy, when somebody like me might scream fruitlessly for him to pass, but then the chances were that when he was in that vein he would do something utterly unforgettable. It's also true, as he claimed, that I too could be selfish. It can be a fine dividing line between confidence and inspiration and a failure to understand the needs of the team, and for three or four years no doubt the most important point was that all three of us were able to deliver the best of our talent.

What the fans loved most about Denis Law, I believe, was his incredible aggression and self-belief. There were times when he seemed to define urgency on a football field – all that some of his most brilliant interventions lacked were puffs of smoke – and always there was the gleam in his eye, and the courage. They never made a big centre half who could induce in Denis even a flicker of apprehension. If I had to pick a single, dominating aspect of his character, apart from the tremendous commitment which marked his play and set him apart, it would be his sheer Scottishness. I know all Scots aren’t the same, but I do love the way so many of them see a love of their country as something at the heart of their existence, and how it has always been so passionately expressed on the football field. Often there is a show of toughness, and quite a bit of bluster, but you don’t have to be so perceptive to see that at its core is deep pride in their people and a tough view of the world. When Nobby and I were helping England win the World Cup, Denis made a point of playing golf. Whenever we played Scotland, Denis made sure to kick us both and call us ‘English b******s’, within the first minute or so of the match. It was as though he had been obliged to make a statement and, having done so, could then get on with the game.

To be honest, George’s first performance for the team, in a league match against West Bromwich at Old Trafford in September 1963, does not linger in my mind. I’m sure he showed some nice touches, but the overall impact was not overwhelming. It was when he returned to the team a few months later, against Burnley at Old Trafford, that you began to see all that he would be. We'd been beaten badly at Burnley a few days earlier, and the Old Man was determined to shake up the team. Bringing back the seventeen-year-old George was his boldest stroke and it paid off gloriously. Long before the end, I felt pity for my friend John Angus, the Burnley right back. John was not so much overwhelmed as tortured. George was like a kid’s dribbling dream that day. The crowd was stunned, then rapturous, and when it was happening I recalled a conversation I had had with one of the coaches at The Cliff training ground a year or so earlier. He had said, ‘We have a lad in the reserves who is bloody good. He’ll be playing alongside you guys soon enough.’ I made the slightly cynical reply, ‘Well, they say that about a lot of young players.’ I didn’t watch George play in the reserves because I reckoned that, if he was as good as he was being described, I would be getting a close look at him soon enough. You could see it all in the game against Burnley – the speed, the balance, the nerve, the close control. Supporters like nothing better than a winger beating a full back to the point of humiliation. That day they received full value for their tickets.

So often, living with George was a glorious existence, and it started with that amazing performance against my Geordie friend John Angus. It was staggering to think he was still just 17. There were so many passages of play like that, most famously when he destroyed Benfica three years later in the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon, and all of them reminded you that apart from anything else George Best had a constitution that was hardly believable. This was no doubt the reason that the Old Man mostly – until the very end, when George’s behaviour made the situation untenable if the club was to retain any pretence of discipline – took a lenient view of so many of the transgressions. For me, certainly, an important factor in my decision not to get involved in any of the often heated debates within the club was that at the peak of his success George never fell short of what you would expect from one of the world’s outstanding footballers.

He set a standard that people talk about even now, and I suspect this will always be so, as long as there is film of him, because what they see is something that, for all the talented players of today, they do believe is no longer available. They don’t see anyone who is quite like George Best. I spent quite a large part of my life explaining how it was to play with Duncan Edwards, and now it is the same with George. One day, of course, there may be another Duncan, another George, but the bar was raised so high by those players, that when someone like a young Ryan Giggs or Rooney or Ronaldo step forward, unfavourable comparisons are invariably made, and those who remember George, and the dwindling number who recall Duncan, are quick to defend their idea of what they think of as football perfection.

When I heard that the club had commissioned a bronze statue of George, Denis and me, to stand outside the ground on Sir Matt Busby Way, I told George’s father Dickie that nothing could fill me with more pride. For just a little while, there in the hospital room in London [during Best’s final hours in 2005], the three of us had been united for one last time. When Denis and I walked away down the corridor we didn’t need to say that, along with George, we had left behind the greatest of our football times.
    Those were the days!!!

Nani surprises Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson has been pleasantly surprised by the way Nani has settled since moving from Sporting Lisbon, and the Reds boss predicts a bright future ahead for the Portuguese winger.

The 20-year-old has played in 11 of United's opening 13 fixtures in 2007/08, seven of which have been starts.

“There's tremendous potential in the boy,” he said. “We’re really quite bullish about him.”

It was initially expected that Nani would be used in a way that allowed Ryan Giggs regular rests. However, a combination of injuries and a relatively seamless settling-in period have led to a more permanent involvement.

“Our long-term view was that he'd come in for Giggs now and again," said the boss. "But he's played quite a few times already and what we've seen so far are things that you only pick up after the player joins. He’s quicker than I thought – very, very quick, in fact. He’s also a marvellous crosser of the ball.

"He’ll settle in more as he learns the language. He's keen, and he’s doing all right with his English. There’s great potential there, and he’s only 20, so he's only going to get better."

Rooney raring for comeback

Wayne Rooney is relishing a return to international football this weekend as England prepare for a vital double-bill of Euro 2008 qualifiers.

The United striker missed last month's victories over Israel and Russia through injury, and he is itching to reclaim his place alongside Michael Owen against Estonia on Saturday.

"Michael and Emile (Heskey) did brilliantly (in England's last two qualifiers) but it spurs you on really," Rooney told BBC Radio Five Live. "It makes you want to do better.

"I'm excited and I can't wait for the game. I've watched the games but I'd rather be playing. I haven't really liked sitting out the last few games."

Aside from England's World Cup 2006 draw with Sweden, in which Owen damaged knee ligaments, Rooney and the Newcastle striker have not played in tandem since November 2005, when both scored in a 3-2 friendly win over Argentina.

Despite that lack of practice together, Rooney is confident that he and Owen can provide the goals to help Steve McClaren's side take a huge step towards next summer's tournament in Austria and Switzerland.

"If we play together I'm sure we'll do the job," said Rooney. "We haven't played together since the World Cup and that was for one minute. It's different at club level, because you are alongside the same players every week but I'm sure we will make it work."

Reserves: United 1 Liverpool 1

Kieran Lee headed a late equaliser as United grabbed a point from an ill-tempered affair with local rivals Liverpool at the Victoria Stadium.

United burst into life in the final 20 minutes of what had been a largely uneventful match, with Lee’s fine header cancelling out Jay Spearing’s first-half opener for the visitors.

It had been widely expected that Gary Neville would step up his rehabilitation against the Merseysiders, but the club captain was left out of the Reds’ squad entirely.

In his absence, United’s young team took on an even more youthful look, with Academy star Danny Welbeck making the step up to the bench and Chris Fagan coming into the starting XI.

Liverpool’s traditional cautious approach made for a stifling atmosphere, but it was United who almost took the lead after 20 minutes when Sam Hewson’s shot was blocked by Lee.

Sebastian Leto then drew a smart save from Ron-Robert Zieler in response, and Liverpool continued to enjoy the better of the opening half until they took the lead through Spearing.

Leto’s cross found Lucas Leiva inside the area, and his neat backheel picked out Spearing, who fired through the legs of James Chester and inside Zieler’s post.

The Liverpool skipper then saw a shot superbly tipped over by Zieler as the United defence backed
    off, but it was the Reds who began the second 45 minutes on top.

Despite plenty of pressure, however, it was the 83rd minute before the hosts finally drew level. Lee fed Michael Barnes on the left-wing, and his first-time cross was headed past goalkeeper Charles Itandje.

Moments later, United were only denied the lead by an outstanding save from Itandje, who made a superb reflex stop to keep out Michael Barnes’ fierce near-post drive.

Both sides then failed to apply finishing touches to close-range chances – Dong for United, Lindfield for Liverpool - before Lucas’ glancing header gently bounced against the United upright in the game’s final chance.

United: Zieler, Gray, Eckersley R, Chester, Eckersley A; Cleverley (Drinkwater 73), Lee, Hewson, Barnes, Dong, Fagan (Welbeck 63).
    Subs not used: S Evans, Woods, C Evans.

Carrick hails Reds' solid base

Michael Carrick says United's solid backline has provided the perfect platform on which to build this season's title challenge.

The Reds registered a ninth clean sheet in 12 games, and the sixth consecutive in the league, last weekend against Wigan.

Rio and co. currently hold the best defensive record in the country, with just two goals conceded, and Carrick believes it will stand the Reds in good stead over the course of the campaign.

"At this level it's a great achievement to go that many games without conceding and it's giving us the base to go on and win games," he told Manchester United Radio. "I think our defensive record last season was brilliant too. It's not something we've suddenly changed or worked on.

"We have fantastic players here and everyone's willing to work for the team. For the last year or so, that part of the game has been very strong."

The 26-year-old midfielder is currently recovering from a fractured elbow and is likely to be out of action for another month or so.

He admits to feeling frustrated by his stint on the sidelines, but is confident he'll return to a winning team and, after last weekend's goal blitz against Wigan, a free-scoring one.

"We had an indifferent start but recently we've put a great run together and everyone's really digging in and working for each other," he says. "It's great to play in a team like that and I'm sure the boys will keep it going and score even more goals."
    Hope it stays this way till end of the season!

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Come...come, Kaka. You'll be happier as a Red Devil.
    yeah!!!!!!!! come over Kaka! U will not regret it!
    Hmm... but SAF got no action lei....

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    yeah!!!!!!!! come over Kaka! U will not regret it!
    Hmm... but SAF got no action lei....
    Hope we can get him.

Kaka is expensive leh. We can't afford him, especially now the club is owned by Glazers. But we have Anderson, and if he fulfill his potential, dun really need Kaka liao! kakakakakakakkakaka!

Of cause Kaka will be happier at Man Utd. Attacking football, not like some defensive outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Kaka is expensive leh. We can't afford him, especially now the club is owned by Glazers. But we have Anderson, and if he fulfill his potential, dun really need Kaka liao! kakakakakakakkakaka!

Of cause Kaka will be happier at Man Utd. Attacking football, not like some defensive outfit.
    Ya ... i think i saw on yday paper or when he will cost 100million! how we going to afford!

Ya ... i think i saw on yday paper or when he will cost 100million! how we going to afford!
    you are right..... i think only that rowman guy - chel$ki owner can afford...... from his own pocket.....

Erm... Anyone knows how to get match tickets??? Like making a trip say next March to see a match at Old Trafford, but would like to confirm everything, especially match tickets....

100million?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Erm... Anyone knows how to get match tickets??? Like making a trip say next March to see a match at Old Trafford, but would like to confirm everything, especially match tickets....
    Maybe u wana try at manu web site: http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pa...-1D8462EE4ADD}

Reds' fixture changes

The Premier League have announced changes to two of United's December fixtures, including the Reds' highly anticipated clash with Northwest rivals Liverpool.

United were due to welcome Fulham to Old Trafford on Saturday 1 December but will now face Lawrie Sanchez's men on Monday 3 December (20:00 GMT kick-off, live on Setanta Sports).

Meanwhile, United's visit to Anfield – originally scheduled for Saturday 15 December – has also been rearranged, and will now take place a day later, on Sunday 16 December (13:30 GMT kick-off, live on Sky Sports).

Edwin out of action

Edwin van der Sar is the latest confirmed casualty ahead of the next round of Euro 2008 qualifiers, with the Reds' goalkeeper pulling out of Holland's squad on Thursday.

Despite injuring his toe in United's 1-0 win at Birmingham City and missing the Reds' recent clashes with AS Roma and Wigan, van der Sar linked up with the Dutch national team earlier this week in the hope of being fit for Saturday's Group G meeting with Romania.

But the 36-year-old couldn't shake off the injury and will now focus his energies on making his United comeback at Villa Park on Saturday 20 October.

"This is a pity," Holland manager Marco van Basten told the Dutch press. "He is an important player, our captain."

Ronaldo nets poll win

United fans have backed Cristiano Ronaldo to continue his 2006/07 form and top the Reds' scoring charts come the end of the season.

More than 7000 ManUtd.com visitors participated in the poll, which saw the Portuguese winger blitz the field with a staggering 54 per cent of the votes.

Ronaldo scored 23 times last season and has already found the net four times during the current campaign, inlcuding one against former club Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League.

Meanwhile, England international Wayne Rooney, who also scored 23 times last season, placed second in the poll with 30 per cent of the votes, while summer signing Carlos Tevez rounded out the top three. Tevez took some time before netting his first United goal but has now scored twice in his last three league appearances.
    I think at the moment it will be between the 2 Rs

Last edited by melvin; 15th October 2007 at 02:27 PM.

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6910111213162136 ... LastLast