Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 589101112152035 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

More honours for Ronny

Cristiano Ronaldo's brace against Wigan on Saturday was enough to earn him the ManUtd.com Man of the Match accolade.

More than 1000 fans voted in the poll, which saw the Portuguese winger pushed all the way by striker Carlos Tevez, whose tireless performance attracted 34 per cent of the vote. But it was two-goal hero Ronaldo who took home the prize for the second straight league match, with an impressive 41 per cent.

The Reds' no.7 has now scored four goals in his last five appearances, including winners against Sporting Lisbon and Birmingham City.

This latest honour comes on the back of Ronaldo's inclusion in the 2006/07 FIFPRO World XI. The only United player in the side, Ronaldo's place in the midfield alongside Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) and Kaka (AC Milan) was confirmed on Friday 5 October.

The FIFPRO World XI is voted for by professional footballers around the world.

FIFPro World XI 2006/07
    Goalkeeper:
    Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

Defenders:
    Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan)
    Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid)
    John Terry (Chelsea)
    Carles Puyol (Barcelona)

Midfielders:
    Cristiano Ronaldo (United)
    Kaka (AC Milan)
    Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Forwards:
    Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
    Didier Drogba (Chelsea)
    Ronaldinho (Barcelona)

FIFPro XI
    When is this guy going to stop winning an award?!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    United for the title!!
    For sure we will! We are the

Defending Champions

and will successfully defend it against those pretenders to the crown!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Keano eyes United duo

Wah ... if SAF is going to loan out all the young guys n when the guys got injured who will be the replacement? Is the team a 50 men team?
    I think it will be a headache for Fergie. Sunderland is in the EPL and now that Keane is willing to have them on loan, it will be a very good experience and chance for the younsters to establish themselves.

But however, I think Simpson looks very good and should stay as cover. But when Gary and Vidic gets back, his chances will be reduced. Evans should stay as well as he is a left back? Evra is our only left back now that Silvertre is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    For sure we will! We are the

Defending Champions

and will successfully defend it against those pretenders to the crown!

I think it will be a headache for Fergie. Sunderland is in the EPL and now that Keane is willing to have them on loan, it will be a very good experience and chance for the younsters to establish themselves.

But however, I think Simpson looks very good and should stay as cover. But when Gary and Vidic gets back, his chances will be reduced. Evans should stay as well as he is a left back? Evra is our only left back now that Silvertre is injured.

gary out liao , think he is not coming back

Quote Originally Posted by legiz View Post
    gary out liao , think he is not coming back
    He is schelduled to play tml for the reserve against liverpool!

Pique prepared to be patient

Spanish defender Gerard Pique hopes to capitalise on his recent United performances by commanding more regular action in the first-team.

The 20-year-old former Barcelona youngster has played in two of United's last four matches.

Pique was the outstanding Reds player in a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Coventry City, before another fine solid display in the 4-0 win over Wigan, in which he showed he can perform at right-back as well as centre-half.

"I am very pleased [with the way things are going]," he told MUTV's Live from Old Trafford programme. "Since coming back from my loan spell, I just want to stay here and find a place in the team."

Pique was highly impressive on loan with la Liga outfit Real Zaragoza last season, which prompted Sir Alex Ferguson to keep hold of the young defender this year as cover for Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

"At the moment I am not playing a lot, but I feel confident that I can work hard and find my place in the side," he added. "The team is working well at the moment, so it's difficult to command a place every week. But I know I will get the chances and when I do I will give my best for Manchester United."

Louis leaves French squad

Louis Saha will miss France's Euro 2008 qualifiers against the Faroe Islands and Lithuania with a knee injury.

The United striker was called up for his country's Group B double-header, but left the French training camp in Clairefontaine on Tuesday, and the French Football Federation confirmed he will not be replaced in the squad.

The 29-year-old was a precautionary withdrawal from last Saturday's United squad to face Wigan, after feeling a twinge in the same knee which was injured for the second half of last season.

Saha will now return to Manchester to continue his rehabilitation.
    THis is the best solution! Haahaha........
    Last edited by melvin; 10th October 2007 at 11:33 AM.

Foster's bright outlook

Ben Foster is refusing to let his spell on the sidelines with a knee injury get him down, and says it could even make him a better goalkeeper.

This season promised to be a crucial one for the 24-year-old goalkeeper who, just two years ago, couldn’t get a game for his former club Stoke City.

It has been a remarkable rise up the football ladder in the two years since joining United as a relative unknown in 2005. Although he is yet to make his competitive debut for the Reds, Foster was outstanding during two seasons on loan at Watford, has already been capped for England and is seen as a strong contender to be Edwin van der Sar’s long-term successor at United.

However, he was forced to undergo surgery back in June to remove a fragment of bone from his knee, an operation he described at the time as career-saving.

After the initial disappointment, Foster has been nothing but positive. "It was all looking rosy for me and big things were expected and talked about for me this year with United and England," Ben said at the launch of Sells goalkeeper range for 2007-08.

"The injury was a devastating blow. You could start tormenting yourself with thoughts of what might have been happening this year for me. Thoughts about United and England went out of the window for me very quickly.

"After the initial upset I just got my head round it and blanked out the `what if' thoughts. I couldn't afford to think or worry about it.”

Foster sees the time away from playing as an opportunity to improve his all-round game. "The way I looked at it is that I have a very good chance to work on things and other parts of my game that you don't normally get a chance to when you are playing,” he said.

"I have a great opportunity to work on other areas like strength and spring. It could make me a better goalkeeper.

"The last time I suffered the same cruciate injury in the same knee was when I was at Stoke and I was out for six months then. But I remember when I did come back I felt so much stronger physically. I became a man throughout that.

"I am already feeling stronger now and probably the fittest shape I have ever been in my whole career. That's a big plus from all this."
    Hope he recover on time we only have 1 GK left!

Wolves snatch Gibson

United's young Irish midfielder Darron Gibson is set to join Wolverhampton Wanderers on loan.

The 19-year-old Republic of Ireland international, who will stay with Mick McCarthy's Championship side until January, made his United debut a day after his 18th birthday in the Carling Cup win over Barnet in October 2005.

He has not experienced any further first-team football since, but he has been a regular and impressive performer in the Reds' reserves.

McCarthy believes Gibson, an attacking midfielder, will add depth to his promotion-chasing team's midfield department.

"Darron is a talented midfielder that will bring us real competition for places in central midfield," McCarthy told the official Wolves website. "He is only 19 but he is a good player and has a good range of passing."

Gibson could make his debut against Charlton Athletic on Saturday 20 October.

Foster's bright outlook

Hope he recover on time we only have 1 GK left!
    Current GK is Kuzkuz and Tom Heaton is the sub. We got 4 GKs total including VDS and Foster. I not sure about Heaton but VDS, Kuzkuz and Foster are quality GKs.

I hope Pique is patient. I think he will get his chance at Man Utd but probably not as 1st team as Vidic and Rio are in their peak and hard to displace them. Only hope is right back which he can plays as Gary is nearing the end of his career. But Simpson is also a right back.

红魔将再次技压群雄,哈哈!

Not a bad idea ... we can even have back up no need afraid injuries if got just send for their reinforcement!
    somehow I think strikers good at spain league may not be good at EPL..due to speed and intensity of the game problems..prob a lot of examples before..but strikers who made it in England will prob do well at Spain league..Look at Kanoute who has been very consistent in Sevilla..but was above ave in England..forlan..rossi..etc..as long as they are technically sound and skilful (which all these 4 are) they will do well..

As for RVN..he had lost his pace..and with the Man Utd playing style, I doubt he could score as much for Man Utd if he remained as compared to Real...

Quote Originally Posted by novello76 View Post
    somehow I think strikers good at spain league may not be good at EPL..due to speed and intensity of the game problems..prob a lot of examples before..but strikers who made it in England will prob do well at Spain league..Look at Kanoute who has been very consistent in Sevilla..but was above ave in England..forlan..rossi..etc..as long as they are technically sound and skilful (which all these 4 are) they will do well..

As for RVN..he had lost his pace..and with the Man Utd playing style, I doubt he could score as much for Man Utd if he remained as compared to Real...
    Yes true.....frankly I have my doubts about Torres, and I still have them.

Quote Originally Posted by legiz View Post
    红魔将再次技压群雄,哈哈!
    HAahhahaa.... Yeah man ....再次技压群雄........ GO GO

Robbo: Eagles will stay

Former United captain Bryan Robson admits it is unlikely he will be able to take Reds winger Chris Eagles on loan to Sheffield United.

The Blades manager has spoken of his admiration for the 21-year-old before, and had been tipped to make a loan move after United's Carling Cup exit to Coventry.

However, Robson told the Sheffield Star: "Eagles is a very good player, but I don't think Sir Alex will be letting him out.

"Hopefully I can bring a few loan players in. You always keep working on that, you can always improve.

"You can stand around all day and talk about the players you want to bring in. Like I've always said, if I've got something 100 per cent solid then I'll let the fans know."

Following last month's humbling against the Sky Blues, Sir Alex Ferguson conceded that he would have to loan out a host of his younger players in order to give them senior action.

While Lee Martin and Darron Gibson have since joined Plymouth and Wolves respectively, it seems that Eagles will remain part of the Reds' senior squad.

Simpson ready-made for Reds

The coach that helped guide Gary Neville through United's youth ranks says the Reds have a long-term successor for the club skipper.

Danny Simpson was impressive against Wigan Athletic on Saturday, complimenting a solid defensive display with an assist for Wayne Rooney, who capped off a 4-0 victory. The 20-year-old right-back clearly has a promising future. However, Eric Harrison, who coached the famed class of '92, says Neville will take some displacing.

"If Gary stays clear of injuries then I see him playing past his mid-30s," Harrison told the Manchester Evening News. "It's going to be a big battle for Danny, but at least the manager knows he has someone there with the potential and character to challenge Gary."

In years to come, Harrison believes Simpson has the attributes to make the grade at Old Trafford. "He is very similar to Gary in attitude," added Eric. "Gary wasn't as naturally talented or technically gifted as his contemporaries like David Beckham and Paul Scholes, but he was captain at 16 because he was made of the right stuff. He worked tirelessly on his game, grafting to become better technically and he succeeded by hard work.

"Danny is the same. He was a decent player as a young kid but not technically the best. But he listens, learns and it sinks in with him. His improvement has been tremendous. I don't know whether the coaches at United had question marks over him but when you see a young player work hard, take things on board and progress like Danny has you tick his box."

Reds duo 'best in Europe'

John O'Shea feels that, in Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, United are blessed with Europe's finest central defensive partnership.

The Reds' defence has made a rock-solid start to the season, conceding just two goals in eight Premier League games, and O'Shea feels Vidic and Ferdinand have been central to that record.

"It's a pretty happy camp at the moment, especially with the defensive situation with the clean sheets," O'Shea is quoted as telling the Manchester Evening News.

"Rio and Nemanja are definitely a major factor to it - you cannot ask for two better central defenders in Europe, in my opinion. I hope they will stay clear of injury because they have been a major influence on keeping the clean sheets."

The backline's miserly form laid the foundations for a title challenge during a start to the season in which goals have been hard to come by, until last weekend's thumping of Wigan.

And, with skipper Gary Neville set to make his comeback for the Reserves this week, O'Shea feels United's defence can continue to keep opponents at arm's length.

"For a defender, keeping a clean sheet is like a striker scoring a couple of goals," he said. "We hope we can keep it going. With the attacking quality we have, we know if we keep a clean sheet then nine times out of 10 we are going to win the game."
    Huh....best in europe??? Got sala or not!!!
    Last edited by melvin; 11th October 2007 at 11:48 AM.

Trio nominated for FIFA award

Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez have made FIFA's shortlist for the World Player of the Year award.

AC Milan's Brazilian midfielder Kaka is being touted as the favourite to win the prestigious accolade, although he faces stiff competition, particularly from the likes of United's very own Cristiano Ronaldo, who was instrumental in the Reds' title success last season.

The successor to last year's winner, Italy's inspirational defender Fabio Cannavaro, will be announced at the FIFA World Player Gala 2007 on 17 December in Zurich.

World Player of the Year shortlist: Buffon (Juventus, Italy), Cannavaro (Real Madrid, Italy), Cech (Chelsea, Czech Rep), Ronaldo (United, Portugal), Deco (Barcelona, Portugal), Drogba (Chelsea, Ivory Coast), Essien (Chelsea, Ghana), Eto'o (Barcelona, Cameroon), Gattuso (Milan, Italy), Gerrard (Liverpool, England), Henry (Barcelona, France), Juninho (Lyon, Brazil), Kaka (Milan, Brazil), Klose (Bayern Munich, Germany), Lahm (Bayern Munich, Germany), Lampard (Chelsea, England), Marquez (Barcelona, Mexico), Messi (Barcelona, Argentina), Nesta (Milan, Italy), Pirlo (Milan, Italy), Ribery (Bayern Munich, France), Riquelme (Villarreal, Argentina), Ronaldinho (Barcelona, Brazil), Rooney (United, England), Terry (Chelsea, England), Tevez (United, Argentina), Thuram (Barcelona, France), Torres (Liverpool, Spain), Van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid, Holland), Vieira (Inter Milan, France).

Transfer Rumours: Oct 07

Although the transfer window will not open again until January, a number of players are already being linked with mid-season moves to Old Trafford.

Following rumours that United are set to rival Arsenal for the signature of defender Miguel Veloso, Sporting Lisbon have denied that the Reds have first option to sign the Portuguese U21 international.

"Manchester United do not have a preference on him (Veloso) or any other players of Sporting Lisbon," said a club spokesman, following predictions that Veloso would follow former Sporting prospects Ronaldo and Nani to Old Trafford.

Meanwhile, Monaco striker Jeremy Menez is tipped to be at the centre of a transfer tug-of-war between United and Liverpool, who have both been alerted by the 20-year-old striker's displays this season.

According to the tabloids, United are definitely looking at the younger end of the market, with 17-year-old Nigerian starlet Macauley Chrisantus also linked.

The striker starred in Nigeria's triumphant World Under 17 championships, and is expected to leave his current club Abuja in the near future, with all Europe's top clubs allegedly interested.

Kaka eyeing up move to Premier League?

Kaka has nominated England as one of the two destinations which could tempt him if he ever decides to call time on his AC Milan career.

The 25-year-old Brazil midfielder is at pains, in an interview with Esquire magazine, to stress he expects to remain happy with the European champions.

But should he ever change his mind, Kaka admits clubs such as Manchester United and Arsenal would enter the equation - probably ahead of Chelsea or Liverpool.

'I'm very happy at Milan - and I don't expect that situation to change,' he said. 'But if you want to talk hypothetically, if I were ever to leave it would have to be for a club of equal stature - and I think I would only find that in England or Spain.

'Manchester United are a wonderful side ... I like Arsenal too.

'As for Chelsea and Liverpool, they are more tactically-oriented; they base themselves on solidity and organisation. They are maybe less creative, but they have good managers. I especially admire (Rafael) Benitez.'
    He should be a better replacement for Ronaldo if he decided to leave!

红魔曼联宝刀出鞘 , 又谁能于其争锋呢?

道高一尺,魔高一丈

Last edited by legiz; 11th October 2007 at 08:36 PM.

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 589101112152035 ... LastLast