Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Monkey god and elephant tree.

  1. #1
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Anyone have made their way to see the monkey and elephant tree at Jurong West St'42, it's near the Hua Yi Secondary school ?

    http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/vi...php?f=5&t=1634
    Last edited by xtemujin; 17th September 2007 at 01:16 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    does it help to get enough $ to buy D3???

  3. #3
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    I am a taoist and even I am troubled and embrassed by this.

    Not the object in question but the people. The greed. The thing that comes to mind when you encounter something they "might" be considered a "divine something" and they will be the majority that is there to make offerings to get 4D/toto numbers. Apart from the religious aspect this is very telling of problems in our society's over concern for money or has the ruling party made life in Singapore so bad, there are those of us who have no choice but to choose this as the only means to get money.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I am a taoist and even I am troubled and embrassed by this.

    Apart from the religious aspect this is very telling of problems in our society's over concern for money or has the ruling party made life in Singapore so bad, there are those of us who have no choice but to choose this as the only means to get money.
    And what's troubling to me is how quickly people are to assign blame to the "ruling party" for all that ails the country. You mean to say that people offering up joss sticks for 4D numbers at some tree is somehow the fault of the g-ment? This has nothing to do with superstitions, the Chinese culture of materialism (how about the pineapples and upside-down "fa" during Chinese New Year?)? This happens in no other country (try HK, malaysia)? You sure those that are vlining up there have no other means of making a living, or that they are even in want as opposed to being plain greedy?

    Sorry, frankly ludicrous.

  5. #5
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    its in front of where i am staying only...

    my best advice for those who wish to avoid the crowd and the inconsiderate drivers, would be to come after 1am - 4.30am on weekdays and weekends....

    other times... simply... extremely crowded..

    hahaha....

    but its good la... i can call a cab out to work in less den 1 minute or even less than a second when i reach the bus stop...

  6. #6
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    does it help to get enough $ to buy D3???
    pray harder la. maybe he will give u enough to buy a lens cap or what la.. just bring more bananas...

  7. #7
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    There are three monkeys, see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    its in front of where i am staying only...

    my best advice for those who wish to avoid the crowd and the inconsiderate drivers, would be to come after 1am - 4.30am on weekdays and weekends....

    other times... simply... extremely crowded..

    hahaha....

    but its good la... i can call a cab out to work in less den 1 minute or even less than a second when i reach the bus stop...
    Is it still crowded??? Thought the initial thrills will be gone in few days.

    Anyone got the photo of the trees with the crowds???

  9. #9

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    the Chinese culture of materialism
    Sorry, I'd like to nitpick here:

    Post-Ming Dynasty Chinese culture of materialism.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I am a taoist and even I am troubled and embrassed by this.

    Not the object in question but the people. The greed. The thing that comes to mind when you encounter something they "might" be considered a "divine something" and they will be the majority that is there to make offerings to get 4D/toto numbers. Apart from the religious aspect this is very telling of problems in our society's over concern for money or has the ruling party made life in Singapore so bad, there are those of us who have no choice but to choose this as the only means to get money.
    What's wrong with greed??? If I greed for something I will put in more effort to get it.

    As long as my greed didn't cause me to do illegal or immoral things, it's ok what.

  11. #11
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    And what's troubling to me is how quickly people are to assign blame to the "ruling party" for all that ails the country. You mean to say that people offering up joss sticks for 4D numbers at some tree is somehow the fault of the g-ment? This has nothing to do with superstitions, the Chinese culture of materialism (how about the pineapples and upside-down "fa" during Chinese New Year?)? This happens in no other country (try HK, malaysia)? You sure those that are vlining up there have no other means of making a living, or that they are even in want as opposed to being plain greedy?

    Sorry, frankly ludicrous.

    I was speaking out in general base on the usual sentiments of what typically would be expressed by most when it come to encountering difficulty to earn a living here (or anywhere else) but then I also want to see how soon before I get the usual troll(s) popping in here with their usual rant and ugly head.

    And there you are... Sorry. I never was aiming at anyone or party....just generalising the usual dribble I see and I don;t find this just something you find happening exclusively in Singapore as it can happen everywhere else(though I am stressing this in Singapore since those stuff happen here)...but I see you come in here like a dog with rabies foaming at the mouth on the side of 'your' winning party again. You want to turn this political..don;t expect me to respond.

    Frankly, I search you out enough to read your, comments views and stance on life and politics. Funny thing is, I trust our ruling party's position to be more trasparent when I compare it to you and for one reason or another, I don't trust you though you do make sense most of the time and seem to balance between talking for and against our govt but there is something about you I can't pin down...I could be wrong but I am not in hurry to find out whats your mental issue. There is more to you then meets the eyes. You can have your say after this but I shall move on. You just spoilt my lunch with your irritation at the wrong time again...so I am just doing my usual knee jerk reaction and rant back at cha. You should understand that right? That is your usual mode of operadi.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    What's wrong with greed??? If I greed for something I will put in more effort to get it.

    As long as my greed didn't cause me to do illegal or immoral things, it's ok what.
    heheh okay I can accept that in your greed you might have turn gred inside out and made it work for you and maybe even motivate you to work harder and smarter to get it. I am with you if that is your view but sorry ...it is only my opnion lah so those who choose this as a means to get 'some fortune'..I just find this a very disturbing notion to have.

    And the fact even the papers had highlight some actually won 4D after making offerings there. Anyhoooo....to each their own lah.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Anyone got the photo of the trees with the crowds???
    i think most of the papers carried pictures last week. maybe stomp also have...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I was speaking out in general base on the usual sentiments of what typically would be expressed by most when it come to encountering difficulty to earn a living here (or anywhere else) but then I also want to see how soon before I get the usual troll(s) popping in here with their usual rant and ugly head.

    And there you are... Sorry. I never was aiming at anyone or party....just generalising the usual dribble I see and I don;t find this just something you find happening exclusively in Singapore as it can happen everywhere else(though I am stressing this in Singapore since those stuff happen here)...but I see you come in here like a dog with rabies foaming at the mouth on the side of 'your' winning party again. You want to turn this political..don;t expect me to respond.

    Frankly, I search you out enough to read your, comments views and stance on life and politics. Funny thing is, I trust our ruling party's position to be more trasparent when I compare it to you and for one reason or another, I don't trust you though you do make sense most of the time and seem to balance between talking for and against our govt but there is something about you I can't pin down...I could be wrong but I am not in hurry to find out whats your mental issue. There is more to you then meets the eyes. You can have your say after this but I shall move on. You just spoilt my lunch with your irritation at the wrong time again...so I am just doing my usual knee jerk reaction and rant back at cha. You should understand that right? That is your usual mode of operadi.
    Making it personal, are ya? I have never been less than transparent in my motivations. If you've missed it in trawling through my posts, here it is again--> I wish for my young children, who will soon be on the net surfing on their own, to partake in an environment where people speak and debate in an informed and critical manner, and not mere knee jerk establishment/corporation/business/race/gender bashing. You say that I seem to make sense most of the time and seem to balance between talking for and against? Well, that is all I aim to do when I post in Kopitiam, put forth my point in a reasoned and hopefully articulate manner. Then you say you don't trust me. You contradict yourself, but that is your choice and it is not my business to correct you or try to hard to convince you.

    I debated long and hard before replying to your post, knowing full well the response. You say you are speaking about generalities, but your 'general' direction seems to inexorably gravitate to g-ment bashing, you never pass up an opportunity to do so at the slightest excuse.

    I'm sorry I spoilt your lunch, but I don't appreciate being called 'mental' or be compared to a rabid dog, it is not nice manners to do that to someone you've never met and know nothing of.
    Last edited by dkw; 17th September 2007 at 04:03 PM.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    does it help to get enough $ to buy D3???
    If you stare at the tree hard enough, you can see 4 numbers.
    In fact, if you stare very hard, you can see almost anything you desire.

  16. #16
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    2,946

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    If you stare at the tree hard enough, you can see 4 numbers.
    In fact, if you stare very hard, you can see almost anything you desire.
    All right, well said indeed... 1DsMk3 !!!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    If you stare at the tree hard enough, you can see 4 numbers.
    In fact, if you stare very hard, you can see almost anything you desire.
    Heard the number will be in "3D" like those "3D" pictures.
    And the monkeys will juggle the numbers once in a while.. So best is 24-beat.

  18. #18
    Senior Member harrynkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    do they willingto give i-bet
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    The tree should be categorised as National Treasures, like our Old MM Lee.

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Anyone have made their way to see the monkey and elephant tree at Jurong West St'42, it's near the Hua Yi Secondary school ?

    http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/vi...php?f=5&t=1634

  20. #20
    Senior Member harrynkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Monkey god and elephant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    The tree should be categorised as National Treasures, like our Old MM Lee.
    grand uncle lee is a walking treasure
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •