View Poll Results: Which one would you go for in terms of image quality??

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50" plasma HD ready (760)

3 17.65%
  • 52" LCD HD (1080)

14 82.35%

Thread: 50" Plasma HD ready or 52" HD LCD

Default 50" Plasma HD ready or 52" HD LCD

Aside from a price difference of $2000+ cheaper for the 50" plasma, which one would you all recommend for PC and DVD and cable use?

The 50" plasma is cheaper, but it is only 760p (ie HD ready). The 52" LCD is more expensive, but is 1080p, so it is HD.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

Default Re: 50" Plasma HD ready or 52" HD LCD

Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    Aside from a price difference of $2000+ cheaper for the 50" plasma, which one would you all recommend for PC and DVD and cable use?

The 50" plasma is cheaper, but it is only 760p (ie HD ready). The 52" LCD is more expensive, but is 1080p, so it is HD.
    It's hard to choose, but I would go for the 1080p. It's future ready for the all the HDDVD and blu-ray stuff that's coming. the higher resolution of the 1080p tv may not be fully appreciated if your viewing distance is too close.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    It's hard to choose, but I would go for the 1080p. It's future ready for the all the HDDVD and blu-ray stuff that's coming. the higher resolution of the 1080p tv may not be fully appreciated if your viewing distance is too close.
    Sorry, but I thougt the higher resolution will allow you to seat closer to the TV, without seeing the pixels.

But I agree for future proofing, the 1080p LCD TV would be a better choice. But for immediate use, like watching cable tv or DVD, the plasma may be a better choice now. Also the $2000 difference may allows you to invest in a better sound system to match your big screen tv for a better home theater experience.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Its not an apple vs apple comparision
    Folks at xtremeplace.com which are video and home theatre fans will prob prefer the plasma, those in HWZ which do more PC related work and gaming will prob like an LCD more.
    Ask yourself what your usage is?
    HT, games, PC etc, bear in mind SD TV can look worse on a full HD panel.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Of course bigger the better.

I still dun get used to the flickering of the liquid crystals in a shadow transition image. The plasma is way more stable and offer much better images for movies.

The LCD seems that it is snowing when he tries to stabilize an image that has some transitions of colours or shades into it. Just like when you look at the air above a heat source. You have this interference in the image.

If you buy such a big screen, to me, the plasma is the way to go.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Sorry, but I thougt the higher resolution will allow you to seat closer to the TV, without seeing the pixels.

But I agree for future proofing, the 1080p LCD TV would be a better choice. But for immediate use, like watching cable tv or DVD, the plasma may be a better choice now. Also the $2000 difference may allows you to invest in a better sound system to match your big screen tv for a better home theater experience.
    1080p may be higher resolution, but your screen size is bigger. If you view too close to a 52" screen, you may not be able to take the whole view of the screen in your eye's angle of view comfortably. Of course, if we were comparing the tv at the same viewing distance, the 1080p LCD will produce a higher resolution picture than the 760p plasma. What I wanted to say was that, if the TS's viewing distance is not that long, he may want to consider a 40" or 46" 1080p TV instead.

Thanks for all your comments. That is my difficulty in the decision too...

The LCD 1080 is indeed future proof with HD but it is $2000+ more!! The LCD also is less stable in a sense, and I do indeed occasionally get that flickering thingy. I think it is due to the electric current from somewhere.

The Plasma at 52 inch is bigger and cheaper, but only problem is the 720 vertical resolution.

Haiz.....

Another question : At a 6 m viewing distance, which of the above 2 would give me better viewing compared to a 42 inch LCD HD ready screen for PC inputs?? ie. Looking at photos, powerpoint, word, and explorer.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

at 6m i guess both would be the same haha
    ur living room is bigg

At 6m you are looking at something similar in viewing angle to a business class seat LCD screen if you buy a 42" screen.
    I can recommend a link to dispel the obession with 1080p:
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1647542

If you need those PC based functions, the LCD will suit more, but having used both a full HD LCD and a 768p plasma, all those who have visited me have commented that the plasma wins hands down for picture quality.

6m needs a 100" screen mate!

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...ncemetric.html
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

After comparing for months. I came to the same conclusion.

I could not agree more.

You go for specs or you go for what you eyes see.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    If you need those PC based functions, the LCD will suit more, but having used both a full HD LCD and a 768p plasma, all those who have visited me have commented that the plasma wins hands down for picture quality.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.