Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product shot of a Crayon Box

Default Product shot of a Crayon Box

hi, just want to know if my shot works for you. the white balance, framing, background fore ground, lighting...

should i change the background to something else instead or having white is all right?

Is the small shadow enough at the back of the crayon box?

any suggestions to improve this pic would be good

Default Re: Product shot of a Crayon Box

i don't know man.. this didnt work for me. i personally feel that the background should be whiter (i may be anal on this one, but my screen shows the white to be a lil creamy), no shadows and maybe take this shot at a more dynamic angle? and maybe open it partially to show the crayons inside for more colours?

hope this suggestion helps.. cheers!
    check out my gallery. =) www.eugene.oepri.com

Try shooting it in a light box with 3 - 4 lights shooting at the product. Generally I don't think a product shoot should have shadows, unless it is to enhance the product.

ok thanks people, i feel that i want to include a slight shadow behind the box, if not it would be even plainer.

Quote Originally Posted by with_brokenwings View Post
    i don't know man.. this didnt work for me. i personally feel that the background should be whiter (i may be anal on this one, but my screen shows the white to be a lil creamy), no shadows and maybe take this shot at a more dynamic angle? and maybe open it partially to show the crayons inside for more colours?

hope this suggestion helps.. cheers!
    hmm this is already a very white background, how much white can it be? till over blown? this is very close the over blown already/

I dont like the way it is framed, too much space on the left.
    Why didnt u remove the price tag?

Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    hmm this is already a very white background, how much white can it be? till over blown? this is very close the over blown already/
    oh, no. i dont meant to over expose it to get it whiter.. i meant to say that the issue here is the shade of white. like, its cream, not white per se. but like i said, im probably just nitpicking cause that's what i see from my screen and i may be wrong.
    check out my gallery. =) www.eugene.oepri.com

i agree with brokenwings on this one... it's not white. I would even say its a shade of grey.

I haven't shot products before in my life, but yeah, all the shots I've seen taken from light tents or product tables are white. And its a FFFFFF kind of white or extremely close to it

Even if your screen calibration is off, you should be able to tell that the background of your shot isn't white. Just take a reference from the price tag sticker.

Just a suggestion - crayon boxes don't show very much. Having the box lying down flat, with some crayons peeking out might be a good idea. And as mentioned above, remove the price tag.

hi, just want to know if my shot works for you. the white balance, framing, background fore ground, lighting...

should i change the background to something else instead or having white is all right?

Is the small shadow enough at the back of the crayon box?

any suggestions to improve this pic would be good

bad crop... and the price tag is very distracting...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    Just a suggestion - crayon boxes don't show very much. Having the box lying down flat, with some crayons peeking out might be a good idea. And as mentioned above, remove the price tag.
    I second this suggestion. think it definitely be more interesting that way than to showing the crayon box standing upright.

shooting a box, or any object, basically you need to see three sides to make it looks 3D, so, the lighting has to be 3D also, you can using one light set up for this.

a softbox from top down, plus a reflector (need to place it very close, just outside the image) to kick some light to the front of packaging, you also can use another light instead of the reflector.

so the top of the box is one stop brighter, the front is spot on, and the side is under one stop, so we can tell this is a 3D box from a 2D photo.

and you need to use a long focal length lens to shoot this box, to minimize the distortion.

generally, I will leave the shadow there, but for some requirement of products need to be shadow-less, look like floating in the air, background totally white, we call it a edge out shot, mostly you will see it in the supermarket weekly offer advertisement, the most easy way to do it is just throw inside the light tent and shoot it, or you also light it up nicely on a white paper backgound and use photoshop to remove the background painstakingly.
    Last edited by catchlights; 17th September 2007 at 08:59 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

thanks i will remove the price tag next time hahaha. but wont it be boring if the box would be lying down?? as xray said. i did not crop the picture.

so what needs to be done to make it a better picture?

perspective.................it's not straight.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

thanks i will remove the price tag next time hahaha. but wont it be boring if the box would be lying down?? as xray said. i did not crop the picture.

think u need work on your placement of the item, when i say bad crop = subject not clearly defined.

if you show a rules of third grid, it clearly show that the item is not in the centre...

to correct this... have to place object in the middle, check out rules of thirds...

then adjust your white balance, best to shoot raw, then bring out the colors... anyway, your angle isn't really fantastic to start with... if i have the luxury, i rather go lower down instead... there is a bad distortion in this angle. In shooting such items like boxes or square objects, there is a need to constantly check for parallelism.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

May i also add, that depending on what kind of product shot this is for, you'll want to show what the crayons look like.
    BTW, what's the story behind your crayons?
    Last edited by Reflection; 17th September 2007 at 12:57 PM.

just my 2 cents

i think you should remove the tag and maybe take out some of the crayons and spread it out, so the picture doesnt look so lonely

ok. i was using the rule of thirds, i did not want to place it at the centre as it looks not as good in the middle. when u crop my picture, doesnt that seem a bit too tight?

i was shooting leisurely at home.

one little tip you might want to use for removing the price tag:
    pour some ronsonol fuild (lighter refill fuild) onto the price tag, let it set awhile & peel off the tag effortlessly

it's a nice clean shot though lighting is a little unbalanced but that's fine by me.

and i love the choice of brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast