Thread: Mouse gets frozen and keyboard keys screwed up!

Default Mouse gets frozen and keyboard keys screwed up!

I'm having problems with my mouse and keyboard.
    Mouse problem is that it freezes sporadically. Sometimes it freezes for a while, then unfreezes; but sometimes it can't unfreeze and i have to type ctrl-alt-del, then it would unfreeze.

I have just had my motherboard, hdd and power supply changed and windows XP newly installed and updated. Before I got all these changes, the mouse was having this problem. Now it continues to have the problem. I wonder if its the mouse that's spoilt or what. Its a Logitech optical scroll mouse with the non-usb plug (dunno what u call that). Anyone knows what could be wrong?

As for the keyboard problem, its really weird. It was normal before but after i got this new motherboard, hdd and windows, the " and @ keys got interchanged. For e.g, when u enter ", it gives you @ instead, and vice versa. All other keys are ok, or not that i've discovered the problem yet. This is really strange and its a minor problem but does get irritating when i wanna use the " and @ keys!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Default Re: Mouse gets frozen and keyboard keys screwed up!

reformat again!

If the mouse is an old one with the rubber ball, opening it up and cleaning the sensor rollers will probably do the trick. It can get gunked up with dirt, so the sensors will not move even if the ball is rolling.

If it's an optical mouse, you may need to get a proper mousepad for it, because if you're mousing on a very smooth and featureless surface, the mouse will also not be able to track any movements.

For the keyboard problem it sounds like your Regional Settings may be wrong. Go to Control Panel, open Regional and Language Options, click the Languages tab and click the Details button on Text services and input languages. Under Installed services there should be a setting that says Keyboard. If it's UK, switch to US using the Add button, or vice versa. Play around with the settings and you should be able to get the problem solved.

Yah I just checked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboar...UK_and_Ireland

Your keyboard is probably the US keyboard which is the most common one in Singapore, but the guy who installed your Windows XP probably selected UK as the region during the installation. So your XP is using the UK keyboard layout.
    Last edited by StreetShooter; 16th September 2007 at 07:24 PM.

i faced the similar problem in my old laptop, after checking it is processor overheated. later on, the CPU will just power off by itself.

trojan ?

Quote Originally Posted by advrider View Post
    trojan ?
    yeah. highly possible. if you start seeing your computer typing messages itself in MS word, then update us.

can replace the mouse first. had a few that caused "freezing" and died on me over the years.

Thanks for all your advice.

My keyboard problem has been solved thanks to StreetShooter.
    Changing my keyboard setting to US solved the keys' problem.

As for the mouse, I removed the mousepad and am jus using it on the table and it seems fine. Maybe that mousepad wasn't suitable for optical mouse. Oh well, I'm happier with no mousepad, i think. Less stuff on the table... hehe.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.