Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 154

Thread: Discriminations?

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    They're not worth it. They're probably arrogant with everything they own. I see the same thing with phones and computers and cars and clothes.

    It's the result, not the equipment. Mind you, some equipment is better than others but a real photographer can do some pretty amazing stuff with any camera.

    I've seen the same thing happen with wedding photographers in the U.S.A. and I dare say that you've got to be a certain kind of person to take the abuse from the wedding party or you won't survive. I was helping a friend with her wedding and I tried a few photos with a pocket camera and some new to the market ISO 400 film. The wedding photographer was laughing at someone with a Polaroid instant camera "Look at that fool. He's not going to get anything." Of course, he was right but it was a poor way to say it, especially when the photographer was paid to be there. I told him that he need not be nasty to guests and that I probably wasn't any more likely to get anything useful but he quieted by then.

    I doubt the professional photos were anything great but my pocket camera photos were okay and the bride's "cheap" SLR did fine.

    Do your best with what you have and when you exceed that, get something better. If people give you useful feedback, take it and improve yourself, but never, ever let other people take control because they're probably no good at anything they criticise anyway.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prataz View Post
    And worst come to worst,

    We can all blame God, Buddha, Allah and other creator gods etc. for making man the way it is...

    And that's also the reason why the economy grows =)
    best comment so far...

    pro equipment is needed at times when shooting under extreme condition...causal shots maybe a entry level will do...

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Actually, some of the professionals are not stuck up.

    I had taken events together with pros from Town Council, SPH and other media agencies.

    And in the middle of the event, we all end up switching lens with each other, gossiping and bitching abt lens and cameras etc.

    In short, life is abt heng and suay

    U heng, u meet good and cool ppl who share

    U suay, u meet bad and stuck up ppl who discriminate

    But mostly we are suay, coz if we heng, we would be striking toto every week so that we can buy more equipment =P

  4. #104
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prataz View Post
    Actually, some of the professionals are not stuck up.

    I had taken events together with pros from Town Council, SPH and other media agencies.

    And in the middle of the event, we all end up switching lens with each other, gossiping and bitching abt lens and cameras etc.

    In short, life is abt heng and suay

    U heng, u meet good and cool ppl who share

    U suay, u meet bad and stuck up ppl who discriminate

    But mostly we are suay, coz if we heng, we would be striking toto every week so that we can buy more equipment =P
    When you buy a new car... say Honda Civic... suddenly, you realize how many Honda Civics there are on the road. When you buy a new camera, you suddenly realize how many have a camera and are taking pictures... when you have a new baby... you suddenly see many people with babies walking around...

    Well... in life... a lot of times... we determine what we want to see... so let's look at the bright side of things... the positives... and things will begin to move in that direction too
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  5. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    When you buy a new car... say Honda Civic... suddenly, you realize how many Honda Civics there are on the road. When you buy a new camera, you suddenly realize how many have a camera and are taking pictures... when you have a new baby... you suddenly see many people with babies walking around...

    Well... in life... a lot of times... we determine what we want to see... so let's look at the bright side of things... the positives... and things will begin to move in that direction too
    Cool way of interpreting things!

    Wonder how come these people never come out and I.D themselves...

  6. #106

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by xcesstunes View Post
    I start taking photos and they were just a few feet away. They look at me and laugh. I thought they started to lighten up but they were laughing about my equipment (i'm using a 300D). I check and examine my camera if there's something wrong with it. But before i could examine, i overheard them talking, "that guy is so outdated. he thinks he can take good pictures with that crap? we're glad we're equip with this (they're using 40D, D200 and some L lens". I was disheartened.
    People who have doubts with the performance of 300D should take a look at the concluding section of A Rebel in Paris by Alain Briot:

    "In evaluating the final results from my two weeks photographing in Paris, and while actually looking at prints done from my 300D images, I find these prints to be comparable to 4x5" [Fuji 645zi medium format], in terms of sharpness and overall image quality, in size up to 11x14 and maybe even larger, although I have not yet done prints larger than that from 300D images. For me, this is a lot to say! I use 4x5" because it affords me optimal image quality on multiple levels. But, when not planning to make huge enlargements, digital 35 is something to consider seriously. In fact, when it comes to shadow control in underexposed areas, nighttime or low-light level photography, and, finally, lightness and speed, the 300D has a definite edge over 4x5"."


  7. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by iteach View Post
    ...the 300D has a definite edge over 4x5"."[/INDENT]

    cool...

  8. #108

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    When you buy a new car... say Honda Civic... suddenly, you realize how many Honda Civics there are on the road. When you buy a new camera, you suddenly realize how many have a camera and are taking pictures... when you have a new baby... you suddenly see many people with babies walking around...
    Seems like you're describing the "measurement problem".


    .

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Western
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Dun ask them fly kite, no good... PUT THEM ON THE KITE AND FLY THEM AWAY!!!! WoooooWOoooo. This kinda peeps jus carry their cam/equips around and show off. They think they are pro? hahaha.. MACHAM PRO!

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Tell those Idiot to go 'Fly Kite' lah.....

    The best photographer in the world still perfer to use film camera..... anyone dare say this Pros are out of date ??

  10. #110

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Couple of years ago, i was shooting float and firework at Marina. A guy (abt 16yrs old, and can be sure is a foreign chinese) came standing beside me on my right and i was instantly attracted by his carbon fibre tripod which probably cost more then my FZ20. Next he took out a Hasselblad (sorry i don't know what model) and mount in on his tripod.

    Shortly after a group of young photographer with DSLR came standing on my left and was instantly attacted to the Hassie. Then followed by sour insult like "Wah serious onot!" "Steal father money buy one izit?" "Know how to take photo onot?" and lot more through out the entire evening.

    Saw them whole evening very busy chaking the poor chap beside me, calling girlfriend, buying ice cream etc doing everything you can thought of except shooting. Frankly i am not quite sure whether they are there taking photo or organizing a camera road show.

    There ain't no way to please such people. You use good camera oso kena chak, lousy camera oso kena chak. Let them live in their own perfect world.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    All these discussion does bring back a recall at the recent Comex. It seems like as photographers, we seems to forget to spare a thought for others in our quest to take "Our" Pictures.

    A group of photographers hogged the front sony stage. What's worse, their friends who come late simply crowded infront to join them. Anyway shouldn't we in the front try to lower ourselves so that those at the back can get a shot as well?

    I know at least the photographers overseas do that.

  12. #112

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by bend geez View Post
    Dun ask them fly kite, no good... PUT THEM ON THE KITE AND FLY THEM AWAY!!!! WoooooWOoooo. This kinda peeps jus carry their cam/equips around and show off. They think they are pro? hahaha.. MACHAM PRO!
    wah lao...me also le..i show off my equipment one le...i show people i m pro...but dunno how to take photo properly...so u going to fly me away?

  13. #113

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Actually I am a Pro too... I am a Pro Noobie and Pro OOF photographer.

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    reminds me of my friend who uses 300D for everything where he got almost all the important L lenses. but he just produces the same stuffs. haiya don't bother about such ppls then. not everyone is as friendly as you think they would be.

    it's never about equipments except for the jc kid with 1dmk3 with 16-200 f2.8 ( which comes in 3 different pieces )
    I Love You :)

  15. #115
    Member princej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rumah Tinggi
    Posts
    410

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by xcesstunes View Post
    hey thanks guys for the encouragements and advices.... hopefully i won't be encountering these kind of people again..... by the way, Happy Fasting to Muslims and non=muslims.

    Haha.. this part i like.... come come, if you're a Muslims lets break our fast together, everything on me but not too expensive lah my friend. If you're not then thanks for the wishes.

    Aiyah don worry be happy... enjoy life... photos you shoot with ur camera, those egoistics, equipment wankers... u shoot with a rifle !!!

  16. #116

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    used the first consumer SLR 300D and the top of the line 1D Mark III.

    a difference of 6 years in technology. i used the same lens, same lighting conditions, same shooting technique and same processing. why my images look the same. i dun see like OOMPH flowing out from the mark 3 picture like that leh.

    1 series or semi pros are meant for serious usage. like arena of high speed fashion runway or sports. if you are shooting as a hobbist and not doing a full time job out of it, why bother getting expensive bodies? unless your own fulltime job is flooding your pockets lah.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

  17. #117
    Member noob sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore,
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    i still can recall that last firework done by china team last month , as we always be there early to find place to setup our tripod etc , and tat day me and my wife both setup our tripod and there a 1 guy with his gf there almost the same timing as us , it abt 6pm , they stand just beside to my wife tripod so we all wait on just like we use too , after 2.45hr of waiting i saw 1 guy carry his dslr and cant find any spot as he was late and he notice the guy and his gf beside my wife are not using any dslr or pns , he walk toward them and the way he ask like macham wana act ahbeng , he said are u shooting if not can u move aside and let me havwe the spot in a veri ahbeng manner , wat i like best is tat guy reply , Yes iam shooting with my hp cam lol

  18. #118
    Member saymell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jalan Kayu
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Well... in life... a lot of times... we determine what we want to see... so let's look at the bright side of things... the positives... and things will begin to move in that direction too
    Well said Gerald, never thought of it although I know it to be true. Thanks dude for the reminder.

  19. #119

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    All these discussion does bring back a recall at the recent Comex. It seems like as photographers, we seems to forget to spare a thought for others in our quest to take "Our" Pictures.

    A group of photographers hogged the front sony stage. What's worse, their friends who come late simply crowded infront to join them. Anyway shouldn't we in the front try to lower ourselves so that those at the back can get a shot as well?

    I know at least the photographers overseas do that.
    That's why, unknowingly, thru their lack of grace and consideration; many of these so called photographers earn themselves that low-class image.

  20. #120
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    358

    Thumbs up Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by noob sniper View Post
    i still can recall that last firework done by china team last month , as we always be there early to find place to setup our tripod etc , and tat day me and my wife both setup our tripod and there a 1 guy with his gf there almost the same timing as us , it abt 6pm , they stand just beside to my wife tripod so we all wait on just like we use too , after 2.45hr of waiting i saw 1 guy carry his dslr and cant find any spot as he was late and he notice the guy and his gf beside my wife are not using any dslr or pns , he walk toward them and the way he ask like macham wana act ahbeng , he said are u shooting if not can u move aside and let me havwe the spot in a veri ahbeng manner , wat i like best is tat guy reply , Yes iam shooting with my hp cam lol
    Best story so far. I like the response

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •