Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 154

Thread: Discriminations?

  1. #61
    Member saymell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jalan Kayu
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clement Low View Post
    ... My friend, when you said they don't look pro, you are judging/ looking down on them yourself.
    Clement you have judged me wrongly, you also weren't a witness to the incident. I know what I felt and what I judge then.

    Had them been pro looking and on the job, I would have kept my distance, shy to approach 'lah'. Because "pro", meaning "professionals" are people who would be working for a magazine, newspaper or a some media company. You can tell by the rest of the equipment they have and probably an assistant or two which would be around. I can't just walk near them and say "Hi", well at least I wouldn't.

    Its because these guys don't look pro, just like me thats why I approach them trying to be friendly. So, I wasn't looking down on them! I thought they were birds of the same feather that would flock together.
    Last edited by saymell; 16th September 2007 at 04:56 PM.

  2. #62
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by xcesstunes View Post
    I guess i have no choice but to post this matter here.

    I'm new to digital photography and it has become a passion throughout the experience. Recently i encounter something ugly and i think it's a disgrace to the world of photography.

    Here's the situation. Recently i went for a walkabout over at Geylang (to catch and experience the fasting month atmosphere) to do some street photography. I bumped into a group of photographers and decide to make friends with them. I started talking to them and their 1st impression is what saddens me. They look at me in arrogance and they continue talking among themselves. I get their 'signals' and walk away. But that's not the point i post this thread.

    I start taking photos and they were just a few feet away. They look at me and laugh. I thought they started to lighten up but they were laughing about my equipment (i'm using a 300D). I check and examine my camera if there's something wrong with it. But before i could examine, i overheard them talking, "that guy is so outdated. he thinks he can take good pictures with that crap? we're glad we're equip with this (they're using 40D, D200 and some L lens". I was disheartened.

    That doesn't dimoralize me because i know "photography is not about equipment, it's the person behind it" or that saying is gone? What saddens me is that there is some photographers out there think it's all about the equipment.
    these are not photographers, you should call them "camera man", everyday talk about cameras and lenses, got nothing better to do meh??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #63

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    these are not photographers, you should call them "camera man", everyday talk about cameras and lenses, got nothing better to do meh??
    That's right. Not everyone who holds a camera in his hands can be deemed a 'photographer'. (Cameraman, Camera-Holder, DSLR User, High Tech Gadget Freaks, etc.)

  4. #64

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    actually,

    I am quite surprised reading the story. Got such people one meh? Maybe the TS misheard something, or that group of them are having a private joke or something.

    see every single post in this thread comdemns such behaviour. if everyone here is nice, where is the bad guy?
    You'll be very surprised!

    Also, even if the culprits are CS members, which is very likely, do you think they will dare to speak up here?

    I recounted this before...

    When I go me very first Prosumer - a very nice little Lumix FZ-10, I fitted a Hoya rubber lens hood on it. That lens hood was black and had a red line around it.

    I was around Chinatown shooting CNY decor, when a group of about 4 or 5 photogs walked by. They all had DSLRs and mostly backpacks. My wife was amused by their action because one of the guys kept on trying to 'peek' at my cam. She asked if all male photogs were obsessed with other guy's equipment? LOL!

    Fast forward, after I took the shot and lowered my cam, this guy who was edging closer and closer teblakang pusing and PROCLAIMED to the group, "CHEY! FZ-10 ONLY!" and walked away with the entire group in tow with SMIRKS on their faces.

    My wife asked me what was wrong with those guys and I just told her that they had psychological deficiencies - they had to make themselves feel good about their big big cameras and long long lenses by belittling others because of something that was truly missing in their lives!

    Another CS member once shared his experience asking members not to look down on others. He and friends went to Newton or some hawker ctr and had their cams on the table. One of the ah pek hawkers in dirty shorts and singlet who served a dish exclaimed "Wah! U haf digital ah? Good! Good! I oso haf - 1D MkII!"
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 16th September 2007 at 05:22 PM.

  5. #65
    Member NeTHaCk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    You'll be very surprised!

    Also, even if the culprits are CS members, which is very likely, do you think they will dare to speak up here?

    I recounted this before...

    When I go me very first Prosumer - a very nice little Lumix FZ-10, I fitted a Hoya rubber lens hood on it. That lens hood was black and had a red line around it.

    I was around Chinatown shooting CNY decor, when a group of about 4 or 5 photogs walked by. They all had DSLRs and mostly backpacks. My wife was amused by their action because one of the guys kept on trying to 'peek' at my cam. She asked if all male photogs were obsessed with other guy's equipment? LOL!

    Fast forward, after I took the shot and lowered my cam, this guy who was edging closer and closer teblakang pusing and PROCLAIMED to the group, "CHEY! FZ-10 ONLY!" and walked away with the entire group in tow with SMIRKS on their faces.

    My wife asked me what was wrong with those guys and I just told her that they had psychological deficiencies - they had to make themselves feel good about their big big cameras and long long lenses by belittling others because of something that was truly missing in their lives!

    Another CS member once shared his experience asking members not to look down on others. He and friends went to Newton or some hawker ctr and had their cams on the table. One of the ah pek hawkers in dirty shorts and singlet who served a dish exclaimed "Wah! U haf digital ah? Good! Good! I oso haf - 1D MkII!"
    reminds me of someone i know. he looks as though he knows nuts about computers and stuff. looks as though he doesnt know anything about photography , but when we talked, he was telling me stories of his trusted old fm2 and how he used to be pro till he got married and was committed to the SAF and his family, no time for it.

    so who'd thought, a dumb looking guy knows stuff more than you know

    yes, not everyone who carries a big big camera is good.

    i have my fare share of pics taken using 18-55kit lens on my d50 and a 28-70 andstill looks better from some people i know who used their 30d, 1dmII .

    i even overheard this conversation once at peninsular, this kid, spoilt kid complaining to his mum he cant shoot nice pics cause of lousy camera. I peeked and saw a 30d and he was ranting how much he wanteda 1dmII.

    if you cant take good pics using a 30d, why bother with a 1dmii? your 300d , my d50 , its old but its still a dime.

    A diamond, precious and lovely. After sometime, you're bored of it and go shopping looking around and saw another diamond. You feel like getting it, oh its something new.

    But in the end, a diamond is still a diamond. it's still valueable no matter what and how much the newer one may cost or look or the size. just like photography, no matter how old the camrea, how outdated, its still a valueable piece of equipment to capture that shot.
    dont be disheartened

  6. #66

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    dun worry man. photography is NEVER about equipment. sometimes i find the best images that were taken were from my 35 f2. cheap lens. so what? it still gets the job done man. why is there a need to laugh? is not like you shoot sports everyday and need some 1 series cameras or what mah.

    just enjoy what you are shooting.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Hmm... 30d == lousy camera? OMG. Kids these days.
    Now he complains that he cannot take good picture because lousy camera. When he get 1dmk II, he complain he cannot take good picture because lousy lens. Then he get 70-200 f2.8 IS, he complain he cannot take good picture because everything too heavy.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    lol...imagine how i feel when i started out with a sony ericsson w800i when going oversea for the 1st time(far 1).....even PnS users are giving me those looks.....
    Nikon D80 + MB-D80 + Nikkor 18-200

  9. #69

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    DreamMerchant, have you told this story of your FZ-10 before? It sounds familiar.

    Sion, we need more werewolf pics

    There are all sorts of people out there. Just because we have a common interest with them doesn't mean we'll all be pals.
    In this incident, you met up with a bunch of gadget whores whose interests are in terms of bragging rights. They are a dying breed, we should let them pass.

    I walk around town and noticed a LOT of DSLRs around. Ok so I'm one of the masses who upgraded my SLR to DSLR cos its affordable now.
    Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis of a government
    Flickr

  10. #70

    Default Re: Discriminations?


  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Seriously, you'll meet all sorts of people in your life - some good, some not so good. Don't be upset/saddened that certain people may ridicule you - it may hurt initially, but don't dwell on such words that you know to be incorrect. Life is way too short to worry and dwell on such nonsense.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    To the TS, maybe you've the a**luck to bump into the wrong specimen today. But I'm sure there are friendly and helpful people out there.

    Well, there will be people who look down on certain brands/models, and nobody can ever be on top of the crop. If you're at peace with yourself and your equipment, you'll enjoy what you're doing. Thank god they don't see my not-40D-but-D40!

    Photography is the painting of light, not showing off your equipment's might. So carry on and enjoy your pursuits! Cheers!
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

  13. #73
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,932

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    To the TS, maybe you've the a**luck to bump into the wrong specimen today. But I'm sure there are friendly and helpful people out there.

    Well, there will be people who look down on certain brands/models, and nobody can ever be on top of the crop. If you're at peace with yourself and your equipment, you'll enjoy what you're doing. Thank god they don't see my not-40D-but-D40!

    Photography is the painting of light, not showing off your equipment's might
    . So carry on and enjoy your pursuits! Cheers!
    Hey that rhymes!

  14. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    I'm proud of my D40. Photos don't turn out very nice or pro quality but at least I enjoyed it.

  15. #75

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by saymell View Post
    Clement you have judged me wrongly, you also weren't a witness to the incident. I know what I felt and what I judge then.

    Had them been pro looking and on the job, I would have kept my distance, shy to approach 'lah'. Because "pro", meaning "professionals" are people who would be working for a magazine, newspaper or a some media company. You can tell by the rest of the equipment they have and probably an assistant or two which would be around. I can't just walk near them and say "Hi", well at least I wouldn't.

    Its because these guys don't look pro, just like me thats why I approach them trying to be friendly. So, I wasn't looking down on them! I thought they were birds of the same feather that would flock together.
    I'm sorry

  16. #76

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Just Ignore them.

    I'm often laughed at by some photographers. I use Kit lens most of the time. One particular photographer from SCS once told me that my equipment cannot make it and I should make myself scarce.

    I ignore him anyway. It's not the equipment. It's the Passion.

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    Hmm... 30d == lousy camera? OMG. Kids these days.
    Now he complains that he cannot take good picture because lousy camera. When he get 1dmk II, he complain he cannot take good picture because lousy lens. Then he get 70-200 f2.8 IS, he complain he cannot take good picture because everything too heavy.
    hahaha, lol
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

  18. #78
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by helmiz View Post
    I'm proud of my D40. Photos don't turn out very nice or pro quality but at least I enjoyed it.
    hey helmiz... you got one of the most important ingredients to photography... and it is that you enjoy it!

    a picture is like a work of art... there will always be critics... but when you enjoy what you are producing... that becomes more important because people can say what they want... but you got the joy in doing it!

    hmmm... it also means that for those who are always not happy with what they have... time to look inside
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,304

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    Just Ignore them.

    I'm often laughed at by some photographers. I use Kit lens most of the time. One particular photographer from SCS once told me that my equipment cannot make it and I should make myself scarce.

    I ignore him anyway. It's not the equipment. It's the Passion.
    A photographer will never make fun of a fellow photographer even if they possess older or simpler equipments.

  20. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Discriminations?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    hey helmiz... you got one of the most important ingredients to photography... and it is that you enjoy it!

    a picture is like a work of art... there will always be critics... but when you enjoy what you are producing... that becomes more important because people can say what they want... but you got the joy in doing it!

    hmmm... it also means that for those who are always not happy with what they have... time to look inside
    Glad that you agree with my opinion

    Thanks

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •