Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Uncertainty

  1. #1

    Default Uncertainty



    would like to seek some critque for the above photo.. wanted to portray a sense of going into the unknown, converted into B&W to enhance the shadows in the lower spirals.. added some noise to give a grity feeling..

    would like some comments on my composition and post processing.. thanks..

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    nothing much to complain abt. nice!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  3. #3
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    sorry, but i dont get the feel because can still the the stairs below, if you want to use the blackout stair below to show uncertainty.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    nothing much to complain abt. nice!
    thanks..

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    sorry, but i dont get the feel because can still the the stairs below, if you want to use the blackout stair below to show uncertainty.
    yea, I do agree that one light flight of stairs breaks the darkness there.. but I feel otherwise its abit too empty with just a dark void..

    of cos I could just PP that away..

  5. #5

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    any other comments? is it that bad?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    is this orginally taken in color? tonality issue. other than that. .pretty good composition.
    Cavendish....Canon 40D D30
    580Ex II 550Ex

  7. #7

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by advrider View Post
    so good, it is not bad.
    thanks..

    Quote Originally Posted by photo.cavendish View Post
    is this orginally taken in color? tonality issue. other than that. .pretty good composition.
    yea, it is.. tonality issue, care to elaborate more on that?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    anyway, here's the original photo before converting to B&W..


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,336

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    like what dennis said, i think the bottom reveals the certainty. see the round patch of basement? Blacken that one out and I think the stairs might look never ending..

  10. #10

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    this is my take on pp



    i think it's a good image, lovely composition and a refreshing take on the usual abstract spiral thingy but mood is not brought out? not dark enough for my liking

    i can picture putting a "corpse" at the bottom though, maybe that would be interesting
    Last edited by night86mare; 26th September 2007 at 06:24 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,336

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    and even not dark enough for me hahaha
    how about this?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    hi J-chan,

    Dont mind me coming out with my version.

    i prefer the stairs to gradually darken. That patch of lighten stairs below makes me feel like there's an escape route, like a glimmer of hope, a bit not apt for the title.

    Cheers


  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    North Eastern end of SG
    Posts
    587

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    I'll like it real dark and a little contrasty. Will leave the part of the stairs in highlight to show the steps while darken the lower part so that the bottom.


  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kovan
    Posts
    213

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by antere View Post
    I'll like it real dark and a little contrasty. Will leave the part of the stairs in highlight to show the steps while darken the lower part so that the bottom.

    put a dead body at the end of the stairs den dun have to make until so dark. lolx

    but i like the idea of dis. maybe i should try some day

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    anyway, here's the original photo before converting to B&W..

    Love this img so much that I have come out with below. Sorry J-Chan, let me know I will remove it.


  16. #16

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    thanks everyone for their effort.. realised PP does make alot of difference, can get different moods and feelings..

    hmm.. hard to decide which version looks nicer..

  17. #17

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i think it's a good image, lovely composition and a refreshing take on the usual abstract spiral thingy but mood is not brought out? not dark enough for my liking

    i can picture putting a "corpse" at the bottom though, maybe that would be interesting
    thanks, the "corpse" idea is interesting, abit too morbid for my taste though..

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    and even not dark enough for me hahaha
    how about this?
    yea a darker image seems to fit the mood better.. I like this rendition..

  18. #18

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by stbob View Post
    hi J-chan,

    Dont mind me coming out with my version.

    i prefer the stairs to gradually darken. That patch of lighten stairs below makes me feel like there's an escape route, like a glimmer of hope, a bit not apt for the title.

    Cheers
    nah, don't mind.. that was my original intention though..

    Quote Originally Posted by antere View Post
    I'll like it real dark and a little contrasty. Will leave the part of the stairs in highlight to show the steps while darken the lower part so that the bottom.
    abit too tiny to see.. but I like the highlights part, sorta streams of light effect..

  19. #19

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
    put a dead body at the end of the stairs den dun have to make until so dark. lolx

    but i like the idea of dis. maybe i should try some day
    try the dead body idea? not a real dead body I hope.. hahaa..

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    Love this img so much that I have come out with below. Sorry J-Chan, let me know I will remove it.

    glad you liked it.. like the funky colours, though abit too dark for my liking..

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Katong, East Coast, Singapore
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: Uncertainty

    I like the grain of Jeremy's, sepia toning of night86mare and the exposure of sprintist. =)
    Photography -- a new language of mind.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •