Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone travel to Japan alone?

Default Re: Anyone travel to Japan alone?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Watashi dunch speak Jarparnese
    oh you need a translation? here you go...it means.."I am not a Japanese. But I have a lot of money. Do you have woxxn?"

The last word is intentionally censored, use your imagination

I was there last year and didn't see much... apart from the police sirens every hour. I stayed around the golden gai area.

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    I think you won't have a problem with their subway. If i remember correctly, they do have signs in English. My colleagues told me that prior to the soccer world cup in 2002, the entire signboards in the subway were changed to display English names as well.
    For faster recognition, its still better to memorise at least the Hiragana Chart.

Most hotels (at least the business hotels) have English speaking staff. You can always ask them for directions. For food, usually "point and click" method works fine - unless you have any dietary preferences.
    At least the Business Hotel I'd stayed at Sapporo doesn't come with an English Speaking Staff. Maybe he's lazy to speak English, doesn't know or not bothered.

But still a rudimentary knowledge of Japanese is required if one is planning to venture outside standard Ang Mor tourist spots like Kyoto, Osaka & Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by sunfish View Post
    no need to remember this phrase, they have multi-national working at Kabukicho
    Hard to say leh. I was at a Ramen shop at Ikebukuro and woe be me, dat pretty young lass from China (Hokkien Province) sure spoke Japanese like a true blue one.

It was only when she realised I don't speak Japanese as well when she thought I was from China (basket!!! Not aagin!!!!) or Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    Anyone visited Kabukicho alone?
    Not as sleazy as I'd thought. Zzzz~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Hard to say leh. I was at a Ramen shop at Ikebukuro and woe be me, dat pretty young lass from China (Hokkien Province) sure spoke Japanese like a true blue one.

It was only when she realised I don't speak Japanese as well when she thought I was from China (basket!!! Not aagin!!!!) or Taiwan.
    So how much was the deal sealed?
    Last edited by Sion; 16th September 2007 at 11:49 AM.

this thread is getting sleazy.

they had very nice DVD movies but many cannot bring back to SGP.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 16th September 2007 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    they had very nice DVD movies but many cannot bring back to SGP.
    Use ur fingertips, tap ur balls.

If u can't hear a sound, better dun bring anything back.
    If u can hear the ringing associated with fingernails against steel, go ahead.

Thread is getting a little OT liao.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Thread is getting a little OT liao.
    Ok sir, back to topic

In short, ppl had done it and its do-able. Or alternative, to cut ur worries, go and learn the language.

I had never heard of anyone dying frm learning a new language.

I found that sometimes can roughly guessed Jap word meanings. Totally cannot understand verbal but some kanji is guessable though dunno how to pronounce.

Ok sir, back to topic

In short, ppl had done it and its do-able. Or alternative, to cut ur worries, go and learn the language.

I had never heard of anyone dying frm learning a new language.
    Yes, will definitely to pick up some common phrases.

There's a nice place to go when one's at Shinjuku.

Its a nice warm and fuzzy place of loving comfort called "Kabukicho", learn this phrase well.

"Watashi, nihonjin dewa arimasen. Demo, watashi okane ippai aru desu. Onna arimasuka?"
    OH dear.

kabuki-cho used to be the area of the kabuki theater but it's since been replaced by quite a few things including the Budokan arena and some cheap-looking storefronts housing people sold into prostitution and owned by gangsters. No, I didn't say that Budokan area was owned by gangsters. Prices for services are clearly displayed.

It does seem odd that Shinjuku is hosting such things since the Tokyo city building isn't that far away.

Obviously, cities are better for foreigners to visit than the more rural areas, simply because people will likely be less shy at dealing with English or other foreign languages. Signs often have romanisation but don't expect them everywhere so it's a good idea to know the Chinese characters involved.

When I was last in Japan, there were many foreigners who apparently didn't speak any Japanese. I can't imagine going to another country without being able to read, write, or speak the language, but it's got to be a huge adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    OH dear.

kabuki-cho used to be the area of the kabuki theater but it's since been replaced by quite a few things including the Budokan arena and some cheap-looking storefronts housing people sold into prostitution and owned by gangsters. No, I didn't say that Budokan area was owned by gangsters. Prices for services are clearly displayed.

It does seem odd that Shinjuku is hosting such things since the Tokyo city building isn't that far away.

Obviously, cities are better for foreigners to visit than the more rural areas, simply because people will likely be less shy at dealing with English or other foreign languages. Signs often have romanisation but don't expect them everywhere so it's a good idea to know the Chinese characters involved.

When I was last in Japan, there were many foreigners who apparently didn't speak any Japanese. I can't imagine going to another country without being able to read, write, or speak the language, but it's got to be a huge adventure.
    I do find that strange irony as well.

Where is it? Erm... From the JR Shinjuku, the East Exit (or izzit?) seems to be dominated by predominately government buildings. Whilst the West Exit seems to be all places entertainment and a little sleaze.

i guess this strange paradox is what draws people to Japan though.

I remember seeing a TV programme, the angmo took the pics of the thing that he might need with his h/p, so when he was in Japan, he just show the pics and got what he wanted, don't need to speak.

I do find that strange irony as well.

Where is it? Erm... From the JR Shinjuku, the East Exit (or izzit?) seems to be dominated by predominately government buildings. Whilst the West Exit seems to be all places entertainment and a little sleaze.

i guess this strange paradox is what draws people to Japan though.
    it's the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    it's the other way round
    Haven't been there coming 2yrs liaoz.

But still, it rox juz by walking the streets and u see everything and anything imaginable and unimaginable on the streets and what the shops are selling.

Even I get stumped standing in front of the vending machine at the train station cos all I want was a drink and there are just so many choices I can get with 120Yen instead of the usual - Coke, Sprite, Ice Tea, Green Tea I drink here all the time.

Choices, choices.....

Haven't been there coming 2yrs liaoz.

But still, it rox juz by walking the streets and u see everything and anything imaginable and unimaginable on the streets and what the shops are selling.

Even I get stumped standing in front of the vending machine at the train station cos all I want was a drink and there are just so many choices I can get with 120Yen instead of the usual - Coke, Sprite, Ice Tea, Green Tea I drink here all the time.

Choices, choices.....
    I prefer the 100yen machines. You get more funny choices

Never been there before (: Going to get JLPT 3 before I try to communicate, haha.
    Olympus Now and Forever

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast