Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: How crappy is YOUR computer?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default How crappy is YOUR computer?

    (As recent as 3 years ago, I was still running PIII-500. Until the thing totally caved in on me.

    Now, I'm still stubbornly holding onto my cranky Intel Celery 1.8GHz based on Windoze 2000! It's starting to become a real pain in the a**. But I lazy to change system or upgrade OS lah. LAst time young that time, I don't mind spending 12-18 hrs re-formatting and re-installing and tweaking PCs. Now, I just can't really be bothered. However, I think it won't be long before I will be forced to upgrade, 'cos many of the newer programs only support Windoze XP or VIsta.

    Dammit!

    Owners of really crappy PCs unite!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    still............................ if u really wanna upgrade ur comp, get the windows xp instead................. dun ever get their vista which will make everyone regret and jump down the flats..


    i still think u should upgrade ur comp... 1.8 celery is a bit............................................... ............
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    still............................ if u really wanna upgrade ur comp, get the windows xp instead................. dun ever get their vista which will make everyone regret and jump down the flats..


    i still think u should upgrade ur comp... 1.8 celery is a bit............................................... ............
    Is XP stil on sale???

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    mine also crappy...

    also about 3 year old, 3ghz HT 64bit sh!t... running with 6 sata hdd... always not enuff hdd space...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Is XP stil on sale???
    y not, Dell still have option to install Xp instead of Vista.

    and you still can get Win98 in SLS... if u wan...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    y not, Dell still have option to install Xp instead of Vista.

    and you still can get Win98 in SLS... if u wan...
    Haha. No Win98 lah. So many programs cannot run on that anymore.

    I think my father house still got one working (??) DOS4.0 system!!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    y not, Dell still have option to install Xp instead of Vista.

    and you still can get Win98 in SLS... if u wan...
    Oh!!! I thought when Bista comes out... XP has reached end of life.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    (As recent as 3 years ago, I was still running PIII-500. Until the thing totally caved in on me.

    Now, I'm still stubbornly holding onto my cranky Intel Celery 1.8GHz based on Windoze 2000! It's starting to become a real pain in the a**. But I lazy to change system or upgrade OS lah. LAst time young that time, I don't mind spending 12-18 hrs re-formatting and re-installing and tweaking PCs. Now, I just can't really be bothered. However, I think it won't be long before I will be forced to upgrade, 'cos many of the newer programs only support Windoze XP or VIsta.

    Dammit!

    Owners of really crappy PCs unite!!!
    zomg
    hi brudder

    my old laptop was 1.6 celery
    very painful, but still ran photoshop cs2 pretty fine
    because i took very good care of it, left a lot of empty hard drive space
    keep computer at bare minimum

    now i have a core duo!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Haha. No Win98 lah. So many programs cannot run on that anymore.

    I think my father house still got one working (??) DOS4.0 system!!!
    classic... my 1st dos is 3.2...

    try running any xt games on modern system, if hands is fast enuff, can complete in probably 5 secs... ... but within 0.2 sec, normally game over already...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    still............................ if u really wanna upgrade ur comp, get the windows xp instead................. dun ever get their vista which will make everyone regret and jump down the flats..


    i still think u should upgrade ur comp... 1.8 celery is a bit............................................... ............
    Yah boss. I reach home, first thing is power on PC, then go take shower, makan, etc, cos it takes sooooo long to boot up. (But it speeds up a bit now ever since I installed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite to clear out all the damn spyware)

    The Celery is a bit slow, true. But it's good enough for corn. Yes, corn.

  11. #11

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    any1 knows when the Core Quad will be in the mainstream PCs?

    Core Quad has had a few rounds of price reductions by Intel n is already in the niche market for the past year. AMD too launched their Core Quad last mth.

    maybe can hold on to your horse for another few mths. Core Quad may be able to cope better with vista. but then again we cant b waiting n waiting forever. next will b core quad and DDR3....the story continues and tech advances...

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    How crappy is YOUR computer?
    My ancient computer has a crank at the side.

    I have to crank it up to keep it going.

    Lo0ks like it was made pre-electricity era.
    Last edited by Sion; 15th September 2007 at 12:36 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    My ancient computer has a crank at the side.

    I have to crank it up to keep it going.

    Lo0ks like it was made pre-electricity era.
    not bad leh

    good exercise for hands
    you must be very fit indeed

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    any1 knows when the Core Quad will be in the mainstream PCs?

    Core Quad has had a few rounds of price reductions by Intel n is already in the niche market for the past year. AMD too launched their Core Quad last mth.

    maybe can hold on to your horse for another few mths. Core Quad may be able to cope better with vista. but then again we cant b waiting n waiting forever. next will b core quad and DDR3....the story continues and tech advances...
    And oh, another thing, I have totally lost track of PC technology. Cannot keep up, seriously. Last time, si-peh on. Every 6 months major hardware/OS upgrade. Win95, 95B, 98, 98SE, Me (rubbish!!) and finally stopped and Win2k.

    *sigh*

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    My ancient computer has a crank at the side.

    I have to crank it up to keep it going.

    Lo0ks like it was made pre-electricity era.
    So your PS is what version?

    Can play WoW?

  16. #16

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Yah boss. I reach home, first thing is power on PC, then go take shower, makan, etc, cos it takes sooooo long to boot up. (But it speeds up a bit now ever since I installed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite to clear out all the damn spyware)

    The Celery is a bit slow, true. But it's good enough for corn. Yes, corn.
    Linux and Mac boot up time will not get lengthened after some time.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    zomg
    hi brudder

    my old laptop was 1.6 celery
    very painful, but still ran photoshop cs2 pretty fine
    because i took very good care of it, left a lot of empty hard drive space
    keep computer at bare minimum

    now i have a core duo!
    still contemplating and waiting for sponsor for C2Q...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #18

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    And oh, another thing, I have totally lost track of PC technology. Cannot keep up, seriously. Last time, si-peh on. Every 6 months major hardware/OS upgrade. Win95, 95B, 98, 98SE, Me (rubbish!!) and finally stopped and Win2k.

    *sigh*
    nowadays.. juz visit Dell webby loh.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  19. #19

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    My ancient computer has a crank at the side.

    I have to crank it up to keep it going.

    Lo0ks like it was made pre-electricity era.
    Sion's cranky pc has 4 wheels too and comes with a no-map-GPS with a countdown distance meter and antenna to receive those kHz signals. in the front WINDOWS it has a smaller tilt (non-swivelable) triangular window to air-cool the driver.

  20. #20

    Default Re: How crappy is YOUR computer?

    my compaq Win XP Pro P3 600Mhz PC 133 512MB. 40 Gb hdd, 250 gb ext hdd, PCI 56K modem, network port and USB 2.0. Samsung DVD RAM and Aopen 52X CD-RW with Creative 2.1 speakers, Samsung 17 inch flat CRT, creative webcam and mike.

    this was after 7 yrs of upgrades.. initial specs was Win 98 P3 600Mhz PC 133 64MB, 15 GB hdd, JBL pro speakers, PCI 56K modem and a 15X CD rom drive. the 15 inch CRT burned out after 5 yrs.

    now upgrade a little with the rig my cousin gave me..

    Win XP Pro P3 1GHZ PC133 768MB (512). 80 GB hdd, ATI 9600 Pro 128 MB, creative soundblaster sound card, 40 gb hdd, 250 gb ext hdd, PCI 56K modem, network port and USB 2.0. Samsung DVD RAM and Aopen 52X CD-RW with Creative 2.1 speakers, Samsung 17 inch flat CRT, creative webcam and mike.

    those in bold was carted over from my compaq... basically i just change processor, add a 80 gb hdd and casing. good enough for me as i dun game..

    i also boot up my com when i get home and do all my barang barang b4 sitting down to log on.

    one question thought.. i d/ced my processor fan as it was whinning very badly (broke a fan blade when vacuuming dust off it). my cpu temp is 46 degrees curently maxing out at 51. is this too hot for the processor? i left the side of the casing open.
    Last edited by raptor1988; 15th September 2007 at 01:49 PM.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •