Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feel cheated also...

Default Re: Feel cheated also...

One of the tips using a tripod is to hang some weight over the centre column to lower the centre of gravity. This way it increases stability as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    One of the tips using a tripod is to hang some weight over the centre column to lower the centre of gravity. This way it increases stability as well.
    I agree... I try to do this as often as possible. I bring a carabiner just for this purpose.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by paesyl View Post
    Recently brought a mid range tripod... Ask about the specification and load capacity the seller say he try to mount his 400D with grip, flash and 200mm lens no problem so i committed to buy by trusting him that he try to mount his equipment also ( thought he would risk his DSLR).

Brought and use at home, the tripod toppled to the front and bang on my window, to later to hold on to the tripod cause i was doing nite shot with control. My filter crack... dun know should i go calibrate my lens

I call the guy but he said he try liao no problem.

He said he also try to get rid of the tripod so DO NOT WISH TO TAKE BACK the tripod.

What should i do then...
    I believe the only thing you can blame this issue on is your own ignorance.

If loading is a concern to you you should have checked physically instead of just taking the seller's word for it. Also, it sounded very much like a case of misuse instead of the tripod not standing up to the load you put on it.

For any tripod, when you mount a camera with heavy lens the center of gravity will be moved away from the center column towards the direction the lens is pointing. Situation is worsen of you tilt the camera downwards. One thing to do is to align the lens with one of the tripod legs. That will give you but better stability.

When you mounted the camera onto the tripod, you should already have a sense of its stability instantly. If you ignore all the signs and just continue shooting without adding more support, and then the tripod topples, you should not just blame it on the seller giving you false information on the load rating of the tripod.

I have used my D1x with a MF 80-200mm lense on a Slik Sprint tripod. Is that tripod rated for that kind of load? No. But with careful consideration and placement of the camera and tripod it has allowed me to use this very portable tripod on many of my overseas trips.

You have no grounds to ask the seller to take the item back. What should you do? Learn how to use a tripod properly.
    Last edited by roygoh; 15th September 2007 at 01:12 AM.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I agree... I try to do this as often as possible. I bring a carabiner just for this purpose.
    This is recommended for all carbon fibre tripods. There's even a hook at the bottom of the centre column for this purpose.

ok thanks for all your advise

maybe is really my our fault with the set up, will follow all you advise on the set up again.

when using tripods i also tend to put on the neck strap then mount the camera on the tripod, may be slightly inconvient, but its good as your camera will not fall if anything goes wrong with the tripod.

and as they mentioned, make sure everything is clinched and tighten, and having the lense point parallel with one of the legs of the tripod for additional stability.

In some places, we can feel tremor, maybe that's why???

Unless the tripod physically breaks up, it can probably support lots of things. I have an issue with my tripod: I occasionally fail to lock one of the leg joints, and it promptly collapses on me as soon as I release my hand. Solution? Fully deploy, test for stability with a hand, then attach camera. Don't release immediately till you're sure the tripod will hold up. After which...have fun shooting!

maybe just my luck...with check the lens and camera.
    it is unfortunate but it is hard of us to judge in any sense.

the balance of the tripod need to be judge by the weight and the epicentre of the lens, not by the focal length. i can't compare nikkor 18-200mm v.s. nikkor 70-200mm, with different weight and length.

and it also depends on the way the tripod is setup.

for example, i have a gitzo that is 0.7kg that can take my 18-200mm full stretched out. but that is only if the legs are spread out at the standard opening (it can spread out further if i lift the notch). but if i keep the legs closed together, there is more tendency it will fall if i kick into it. this tripod can hold my current load in a static manner but it has a lower threshold to accidents. i have less worries with my heavier manfrotto, but i got to weigh the balance between weight and steadiness. both are good tripods with tight joints. but i got to be more careful with the lighter equipment, which is working near the borderline.

in the case of equipments, bringing out your gear to try is best. the seller cannot predict that for you. at the moment, there is not enough reasons to accuse the seller of that, although he may possibly sound inconsiderate on your plight.

by the way, what is the weight of your tripod, with the head?

ok thanks for all your advise

maybe is really my our fault with the set up, will follow all you advise on the set up again.
    some may sound harsh. hope you dun mind. by the way, i suggest that you try the methods suggested and do it at home with a hand always ready to catch the tripod.

if you really find it uneasy with this tripod. do consider a heavier tripod to replace this tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    some may sound harsh. hope you dun mind. by the way, i suggest that you try the methods suggested and do it at home with a hand always ready to catch the tripod.

if you really find it uneasy with this tripod. do consider a heavier tripod to replace this tripod.
    Toppling is always a problem with longer lenses. So balance is actually very important. That's why mostly superteles have a tripod collar.

OK i did try all the suggestions for fellow CS. I think is better not. Thanks from all the tips. Anyway i sms the seller that he do not have to bare any responsibility coz is my tripod now.

OK i did try all the suggestions for fellow CS. I think is better not. Thanks from all the tips. Anyway i sms the seller that he do not have to bare any responsibility coz is my tripod now.
    That's responsible of you. Glad you learnt something but should not have been at the expense of even a filter if you had realised earlier that it was front heavy. Just be careful next time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12