Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All Prime Setup Feasible?

Default Re: All Prime Setup Feasible?

Well-designed primes not only have faster apertures, they have excellent performance at the widest apertures (no need to step down to reach optimal performance, e.g. Leica, Zeiss). As for an all prime setup, carrying two bodies may be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Well-designed primes not only have faster apertures, they have excellent performance at the widest apertures (no need to step down to reach optimal performance, e.g. Leica, Zeiss). As for an all prime setup, carrying two bodies may be useful.
    Well, I can't afford Leica or Zeiss lenses, neither can I afford a second body. But thanks for the advices and suggestions and I will start on this primes setup slowly. The 18-200 is pretty difficult to put aside and concentrate on using the 50/1.4 alone

well, i'd put the 18-200 right away. a 50/1.4 on a cropped sensor might be alittle hard to use. see if you can get a 28/2.8, it works much better because its wider. even with an aperture of 2.8, you'll start to see the amount of pictures you'll be able to take without super high iso or handshake..

feasible? depends on what sort of subjects you take, the genre of photography you focus on

i once read a very interesting viewpoint in one of them magazines, by a famous landscape photographer, can't remember who

he said he only need 3 prime lenses, 14mm, (might have got this next one wrong) 70mm and 200mm
    the reasoning - anything else, i can walk
    actually i quite agree, most of the time my sigma 10-20 i use at one focal length only - 10mm

that said, by right if made at the same time, at this point in technology i think you will find it very hard for zoom lenses to outperform prime lenses if both are modern
    however, there are some that come VERY CLOSE
    so why bother with prime if you find zooms more useful

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    feasible? depends on what sort of subjects you take, the genre of photography you focus on

i once read a very interesting viewpoint in one of them magazines, by a famous landscape photographer, can't remember who

he said he only need 3 prime lenses, 14mm, (might have got this next one wrong) 70mm and 200mm
    the reasoning - anything else, i can walk
    actually i quite agree, most of the time my sigma 10-20 i use at one focal length only - 10mm

that said, by right if made at the same time, at this point in technology i think you will find it very hard for zoom lenses to outperform prime lenses if both are modern
    however, there are some that come VERY CLOSE
    so why bother with prime if you find zooms more useful
    Actually, I wish to concentrate on landscape and portrait with the occasional macro shots thus the choice of 24, 50, 105 and 180 (optional). I wish to try out primes because of the supposed superior image quality, the compactness and the cheaper price tag. I don't mind changing lenses and do some walking because that is the fun in having a DSLR The only concern is the lack of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    Actually, I wish to concentrate on landscape and portrait with the occasional macro shots thus the choice of 24, 50, 105 and 180 (optional). I wish to try out primes because of the supposed superior image quality, the compactness and the cheaper price tag. I don't mind changing lenses and do some walking because that is the fun in having a DSLR The only concern is the lack of space.
    are you sure primes are cheaper

you are missing out third party hor

when i looked at uwa
    i had pentax, sigma and tamron - primes and zooms alike
    in the end the sigma 10-20 was my choice, as it was cheap, grey nonetheless but a bargain for that focal length wideness
    and it doesn't exactly underperform very badly, quite sharp in fact

well, sometimes its not as simple as just walking. lenses less than 18mm have really obvious perspective distortions, sometimes its nice, sometimes its not, i'm pretty comfortable with my 28mm at the moment, i've got a 18mm that exactly the same on a dslr and i must say that often a times, i prefer the 28mm on film simply because it doesnt distort as much.. i have yet to try a 24mm, apparently, its as wide as you can go before this distortion becomes noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by hacknet View Post
    well, sometimes its not as simple as just walking. lenses less than 18mm have really obvious perspective distortions, sometimes its nice, sometimes its not, i'm pretty comfortable with my 28mm at the moment, i've got a 18mm that exactly the same on a dslr and i must say that often a times, i prefer the 28mm on film simply because it doesnt distort as much.. i have yet to try a 24mm, apparently, its as wide as you can go before this distortion becomes noticable.
    depending on composition, for uwa, you can avoid by composing in a certain way
    but of course this is limiting, and undeniably the wider you go, the harder the distortion is to handle when you're talking about correction, i don't bother correcting pictures i shoot at 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    are you sure primes are cheaper

you are missing out third party hor

when i looked at uwa
    i had pentax, sigma and tamron - primes and zooms alike
    in the end the sigma 10-20 was my choice, as it was cheap, grey nonetheless but a bargain for that focal length wideness
    and it doesn't exactly underperform very badly, quite sharp in fact
    Sorry, I forgot to mentioned that I am only comparing the price of Nikon zooms and primes. Suffering from NAS

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to mentioned that I am only comparing the price of Nikon zooms and primes. Suffering from NAS
    shooting with prime + manual focus = rewarding photographic experience

used to be very dependent on AF.. frame.. depress.. beepbeep.. snap..

on manual foc nowadays... frame.. adjust adjust.. focus.. a bit more concentration into composition perhaps... you see the subject slowly coming into focus, but you are conscious about the background too

if i'm in your shoes i'll keep one zoom, that is the 18-200 for versatility when i need it, the rest will all be primes for serious shooting
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    shooting with prime + manual focus = rewarding photographic experience

used to be very dependent on AF.. frame.. depress.. beepbeep.. snap..

on manual foc nowadays... frame.. adjust adjust.. focus.. a bit more concentration into composition perhaps... you see the subject slowly coming into focus, but you are conscious about the background too

if i'm in your shoes i'll keep one zoom, that is the 18-200 for versatility when i need it, the rest will all be primes for serious shooting
    I believe that will be the path I will be taking unless I need some cash to get those primes

Interesting idea, you might want to consider the 20mm f2.8 as one of your lens.
    10 Prime lens to consider

1) 14mm f2.8 (this is expensive one) else
    2) 18mm f2.8 (Also pretty expensive)
    3) 10.5MM FE
    4) 20mm f2.8
    5) 24mm f2.8
    6) 28mm f2.8 (skip the 28mm f1.4 too expensive)
    7) 50mm f1.4
    8) 100mm macro
    9) 200mm macro
    10) 300mm f4

Tele above 300 f4 are all rather bulky unless you require them.
    For a start you can get the 20mm (can substitute 24mm), 50mm & 100mm (or 200mm depending on what you need)
    Would give a good start and not too expensive as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Interesting idea, you might want to consider the 20mm f2.8 as one of your lens.
    10 Prime lens to consider

1) 14mm f2.8 (this is expensive one) else
    2) 18mm f2.8 (Also pretty expensive)
    3) 10.5MM FE
    4) 20mm f2.8
    5) 24mm f2.8
    6) 28mm f2.8 (skip the 28mm f1.4 too expensive)
    7) 50mm f1.4
    8) 100mm macro
    9) 200mm macro
    10) 300mm f4

Tele above 300 f4 are all rather bulky unless you require them.
    For a start you can get the 20mm (can substitute 24mm), 50mm & 100mm (or 200mm depending on what you need)
    Would give a good start and not too expensive as well.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I chose the 24/2.8, 50/1.4 and 105/2.8D to maintain the 52mm filter size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12