Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Clubsnap a good place for newbies to buy second hand?

Default Re: Is Clubsnap a good place for newbies to buy second hand?

My suggestion if you are not sure ask someone with experience to check the items for you. Fungus is a common problem here in the tropic and should be the first thing you check for in a lens. Anyway it's a lesson learnt.

I have heard of some people who would use gaffer tape to wrap their film SLRs, after a thousands and thousands of shots, remove the tape and sell the body as 10. It would be impossible to gauge how used the camera really is. Some people might argue that the shutter is designed to last longer than what was used which in a sense is true, it is the apparent condition that sways people to pay more than what they would be willing to pay if they had known it was really well used. The same can be said for lenses, exterior condition may look good because it protected with gaffer tape, but you cannot possibly tell how it was used or if the lense has gone through a cleaning process, and end up paying more than what you would have if you knew more about it. All said, if anyone here is fussy about these things, it may be a better option to buy a new lense.

Quote Originally Posted by picofemto View Post
    yes i will be more careful next time. This bad experience will not keep me away from buy/sell, no mention clubsnap. Clubsnap is still my most favorite website. I have learnt a lot from this website. I as buyer is also partly responsible for what happened. I hope the website's administors dont mind that I posted the guy's nick here. all in all, my lacking of experience does not justify his cheating behavior and his dishonest.
    Never judge a book by it cover! checking tru lens is very importance even buying new from
    the shop.just to be safe.
    I had bought body & lens from this wedsite.what i can say.... or maybe i'm lucky!
    anyway keep shooting & enjoy this wonderful hobbie..all the best to u!
    can u also pm me his nick name tks.

To play safe, please buy new. I will only buy second hand goods if I know that person personally, if not, no points saving a few dollars to buy a 'lemon'.

So go for brand new, I am always sceptical why people can pay thousands of dollars for a equipment and then to sell off within a few months........ if that guy is so rich, he should not be bother about his selling price which you would probably be able to bargain with him. Otherwise, 85% there is some fault with the equipment...... just my personal note.

So take care when buy in a open market, there are wolves and sheep in there.... better peel off the outer skin hor......... hehehe........
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

If you sees the seller is a regular here and not those who joined long ago but non regular, it has a higher probablity that he will not pull those no reples stunt on you.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

who's guy or gal?

Better to buy new if unsure. Else, get from someone who frequent here. Not those post 1 time then disappear kind.

Gaffer is an effort made, like the cap with nikon or canon wordings which will came off after sometime when u bring in n out. If I would chose, i prefer used equipments that r gaffered, it's show how well the owner take the pain to gaffer his equipment up.

Of cause it's depend on how the owner treat it's equipment. To some people, equipment r spend to be used not to keep in dry box. To some, it's their precious, even slight scratch will made them heartpain...

To buy used items is depend on yr luck, if not why not get a brand new one and rather than keep thinking when will the equipment fail on u.

But advise is to get an spared w you if you r earning a living from it, cause even brand new equipment will break down!

TS,

Before the deal, did you:

1) Research the lens in details, read reviews/specs and check the price from CP, AP, TK, ...etc. Best if friend has one, just borrow and get familiarised with the lens?

At the time of the deal, did you:

2) Inspect the lens physically and thoroughly? Look up through the lens from one end to check for dust, fungus, and white elephants? Best is look up through to a ceiling light.

3) Bring along a laptop that can read your CF card. After taking the test shots, transfer the pics to the notebook and do your whatever pixel peeping or QC test from the laptop LCD screen?

After you bought the lens:

4) Did you store it in a properly set dry cabinet?

If you perform step 2), you should be able to detect traces of fungus on the spot. Or maybe the fungus appear after the purchase because you didn't do step 4). Buying 2nd hand things is caveat emptor even outside CS, in fact it has got nothing to do with CS. Even if you buy fish from the market you have to see/judge it is fresh or not. If you failed to perform 2) and 3), you are partly to be blamed too. Naming the seller does not address the root cause of this issue, which is buyer's ignorance. I won't be surprised the next time round another new CS guy will post something like this and start complaining got conned for buying 2nd stuffs here. You can avoid this seller that you had just named, but so what? I can tell you there all kind of people selling things on the net how many of them can you name it here? And so are you prepare to face another seller in future? Self-education, market research, product research, how to check the goods and what to look out for, if you never seriously do all these then dun blame people conned you. And if you are a newbie you should know that you are more vulnerable, so get an amateur/pro friend to follow you to deal.

Anyway, this is only one side of the story, have to listen to the seller side then we can understand what/where really goes wrong.

2 cents.

Since I am not experienced, so I got cheated when buying a lens by a fellow cser. The guy (for his ****ing 'mian zi', not to point out his id here) rated the lens mint, and I didn' know how to check the lens condition at the time, I just shot some pics and didn't find any problem (how can u find out problem from ur camera's LCD?), so I trusted him and paid him the money. Then after I went back and gradually got time to shoot more pics I found serious problems, the lens just cannot produce sharp pics. Quality very bad that I have to use photoshop to increase contrast, saturation. Then someday when I just tried to look thru the lens I found why it gives that kind of pictures. The lens got very bad fungus and also some dust inside. To be frankly, this is the first time that i saw what the fungus is like, because i am a newbie. And this guy rated his lens as MINT! What a shame!!
    If he's really a cheat, then why care about his 'face' anymore? Just post lah! Then again, would you be sure that another copy of the lens is also not sharp or just his copy? Some lens designs are not the best in the world, espcially if you use it on a high MP count DSLR, it's very easy to find fault with the lens.

Also, did the lens or your body have front/back focusing problems? Is the sharpest portion of the image sharp enough? If there is a front/back focusing problem, the sharpest part of the image may not be where you focus on but may be on something closer/further.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 14th September 2007 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlam View Post
    ... which is why the iTrader must be put back in place ? What happen to it anyway ?
    its useless to have a itrader...

Default Checking 2nd hand lenses

Sorry to hear about your experience... well... a friend of mine helped me by making out a checklist to buying 2nd hand lenses, so I'll post it for all... with some edits

1) Look through the lens (dismounted) and at a light source so you can clearly see the front and rear elements (glass) with the maximum aperture. Remember to remove the front filter first.

2) Make sure there are no spots, smudges, cracks, etc. when you look thru the item (got spots might be fungus).

3) For normal twisting type, make sure twist motion is smooth when extending focal length.

4) Do a few test shots at different focal lengths and different f-stops to see if the picture is sharp. Pictures at different f-stops may reveal different defects, e.g. a speck of dust might show up at f/22 but not at f/2.8.

5) Make sure the aperture can reach maximum (i.e smallest f-number) and photos taken are sharp (make sure zoom in on your LCD and see).

6) Make sure when mounted, the lens is mounted firmly (normally there is a little lag, just a tiny bit but should not be able to twist the barrel, pls do not force twist)

Extra checks:

7) Prior to seeing the seller, ask them to send you some pics taken using the lens as well as physical pics of the lens. Ask him for the Lens code for Canon Lenses so you can check the age of the lens. The Nikon serial number should be able to roughly gauge the age.

8) Ask the seller if he can grant a 7 day personal guarantee just in case the lens breaks down within 7 days.

9) Make sure the seller agree to your paying price and not on the spot increase. If he increases on the spot, walk away.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    If you sees the seller is a regular here and not those who joined long ago but non regular, it has a higher probablity that he will not pull those no reples stunt on you.
    Thank you guys all for your valuable advices.
    Last edited by picofemto; 19th November 2007 at 04:22 PM.

A lot of ppl treats CS as a BnS Playground. They only comes in when they need to Buy or Sell something.

If it is really fungus, then the damage would be already... permanent.

Well, enjoy your shooting anyway!
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Check out on them.. He joined july 2007.. Very long?

Blog Entries

the tokina 80-200 f2.8 is soft when minimum focua max aperture and max focal lenght

test again with camera mounted on a tripod and shoot at f8

i also have a tokina 80-200 f2.8 more than 10 years old already, still sharp

As a newbie myself, I strongly disencourage unexperienced newbies buyin 2nd-hand cams frm here.. Feels 3/4 of the cases where price quoted by the sellers are too high.Below are some funny "valid" reasons they felt are right to sell their stuff at high prices...
    Reasons:

1) Many ads selling the 2nd-hand cams claims the product is totally new and the box isnt even opened yet. so are they consumers like us or shop keepers trying to sell their goods here?

2) They owe the cam for like 3 - 4 yrs.. den they say the cam is seldom used cause they got a better camera with them tt they preferred using la, or buy for wife but wife dun use la.
    Who noes..? And who believes?

3) They sellin "technology of the past" and they still dare indicate and remind the cam was awarded "Best cam of the year" lah... blah blah blah.The award was for years ago!

4) They kept the cam in tip-top condition la...put in dry box la...perfect condition la.

so,dun be taken in by all these reasons cause once the deal is done, the "baby" becomes urs.Buy a new one is better

As a newbie myself before, i understand how you feel cos i also kena once when buying a used lens. However, the ppl here in this forum is still friendly and always give you sound advice on equipments. After awhile when u r familiar with your gear, you will know how to bargain for 2nd hand items. I myself are constantly learning also from experts here as i also bought used equipment from this forum.
    Last edited by tc811; 15th September 2007 at 11:08 PM.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

I had joint this forum for afew months, and met some really extreme buyers and sellers, here how it goes:

When i jump ship from another make to canon, sell all my previous stuff at a great lose as i only bought complete set for only 2 months, paid slightly over $5k for them.
    So i posted in the WTS section, and almost immediately received countless responses. finally bite the bullet and let go everything, leaving a 3rd party lense to go....

Then came this guy for viewing the 3rd party lense of mine, he came with literally full sets of equipment, which includes a computer, 2 body, both canon & nikon, lenses and some other assy for connectivity. It took him one full hour to test shot on my lenses, comparing with the other nikon body with a good class mid zoom lense

i kept my cool and almost instantly told myself he is going to complain softness with my lense, true enough after loading pics into his computer and view at 100% crop.

All i asked for is to sell my lenses at $400 but he tested it like he is going to buy a $4k lense Natually he gave it a pass and we parted.

Next buyer of this lense took us 10min test shot and mentioned " well it's better than my kit lense, i'll take it ".

Another posting in WTB section for a sigma 30mm f1.4, this seller sms me saying he is selling a 2 year lense at $600 whereas the new lens only costs $590 from OP maybe alittle higher in shops with local warranty.

My advice is you may shop around here for a good deals, but if the buyer or seller starts to pull any stunt, just walk away....

Of course there are numerous deals i had here where both party are really happy with the deals done....so just beware, do some research before commiting....

happy snapping.

Cheers

hi, fully agree that its wise to do your homework well as this is a open forum and there will be con people out there, i as a newbie also test and do meetup a few sellers, some r ok, less bragging n helpful and hopefully u do not stuck with a lemon, this cs forum buy n sell forum part do not have a feedback area, so a few buyers r left unhappy n a few sellers overpriced their goods.
    even in cars forum, there r many cons or fake sellers too, so best be on ur guard or your friend recomend the seller, a few sellers did come even to my sch to show the cameras, so these r a rare breed.

forgot to mention that this guy left me only his email and when i sent him email about the lens he just ignored my email. So far I have't got any response from this guy.
    well, sometimes the user may not be familiar with the equipments, and may have not used the equipment for a very long time, selling it as mint as a seldom used equipment with well finished surface.

in fact, i learnt certain things when selling my equipments to fussy buyers, as they know things i didn't.

however, if you have picked up problems that could not be due to after sale use, i.e. fungus inside lens, then the user should take back the equipment.

and since he have ignore your email, that is not acceptable. you should name him. of cos he can re-register as a different nick, but if he's got any credibility with his previous nick, it will be gone. that is probably the one thing you can do. if there is other things that can be done, i hope the others can share with us too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast