Thread: Taking macro for manual SLR FM2

Default Taking macro for manual SLR FM2

Hi guys,

thinking of learning to take some macro after seeing some nice pic in gallery..

I have one FM2 and 50mm f/1.4 manual lense.. would any users that had used a FM2 taking macro share some comments or what should i get?

I know that getting a lens reverse adapter, i can use this lense to do macro, but is it 1:1 ratio?

what is the dedicated lense i should get in this case? let's say another manual lense which for macro?

thanks.

Default Re: Taking macro for manual SLR FM2

not one taking macro on film SLR anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    Hi guys,

I have one FM2 and 50mm f/1.4 manual lense.. would any users that had used a FM2 taking macro share some comments or what should i get?

I know that getting a lens reverse adapter, i can use this lense to do macro, but is it 1:1 ratio?

what is the dedicated lense i should get in this case? let's say another manual lense which for macro?

thanks.
    if budget allow, Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro, one hell of beast, image quality is even better than the best Nikkor Micro lens.

otherwise I think any of the new macro lens would do fine, maybe just a tamron 90mm since you can't utilise the AFS and VR from the new 105mm

not one taking macro on film SLR anymore?
    when I do macro on insects, I typically take at least 50 shots per insect. if on film, $$$ is

I'm using a FM2 with a Micro 105mm AIS, its a superb lens if ur looking for a macro lens, though its tough focusing and keeping still at close distance, try to bring along a tripod

Hi guys,

thanks.
    Dun think there is any macro lenses from Nikon that's in the MF selection which allows full 1:1 without additional attachments.

There is the 105mm mentioned and also the 55mm.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Dun think there is any macro lenses from Nikon that's in the MF selection which allows full 1:1 without additional attachments.

There is the 105mm mentioned and also the 55mm.
    thanks everyone who gave me some comments..

so what is the ratio of reverse 50mm lense?

so is nikon 105mm and 55mm micro give 1:1 ration too?

reversing 55mm macro on 105mm sld give close to 2:1, calculation is as 105/55 iirc

To be specific: I took a shot of a 5-cent coin with a reversed-mounted nikon 50mm lens using a canon 20D DSLR to show the magnification (or ratio?), as shown below:

Data: f5.6, 1/125. ASA800 handheld (so not as sharp and flatfield as it should be, sorry).

Basically just to show the relative image size of that coin with respect to a APS-C area which is 22.5 x 15 mm. I guess it should be considered as below 1:1 (maybe 1:2, not sure about that though)

OTOH, manual micro-nikkor lens can produce 1:2 without extension ring, IIRC.

YOL

get a 55mm micro AIS with PK13,
    do not try using a reversing ring for this as dirt gets in easily through the backside.

the 55mm micro is shhhhhhharp! i've got it and i love it.

the PK13 will make it 1:1 as its only 1:2 (:

Quote Originally Posted by cherieamour View Post
    do not try using a reversing ring for this as dirt gets in easily through the backside.

Use AF-Micro 60/2.8. I've been using that.

Quote Originally Posted by cherieamour View Post

i guess this PK13 is some kind of extension tube?
    will 55mm or 60mm lense is too close for photo taking such as insects?

i guess this PK13 is some kind of extension tube?
    will 55mm or 60mm lense is too close for photo taking such as insects?
    Yes, it might be... for the slightly larger non-jumping ones, you may still get it nicely, but if they are too small or if you are afraid of them jumping onto the lens, then you may need a slightly longer focal length.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Hi guys,

thanks.
    Hi,

For FM2, you can use quite a number of lens, from MF to AF, except those built specially for DSLR. So your lens selection is not restricted to MF Lens only.

For Macro to reach 1:1, you are actually using the minimum focus distance of the lens.

1 advantage of using dedicated lens is that you can use the build-in meter of the camera, otherwise, you may need to use an external meter.

I am not sure which macro lens are good, but I remember reading somewhere that most macro lens can produce reasonable good result, the issue is that you are looking for a better performance lens compared to to others.

Regards.

yes, the PK13 is an extension tube for the 55mm AIS micro (:

the reach is fine, depending on what sort of insects you plan to approach - normal bugs and spiders are fine, but for butterflies, jumping spiders and dragonflies, you would have to consider a longer-reach lens (: