Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capture NX vs Adobe Lightroom and Apple Aperture

Default Capture NX vs Adobe Lightroom and Apple Aperture

Is anyone able to comment on whether and how Capture NX is superior. I am looking to get this software but struggling to see the difference.
    Last edited by virtuoso; 13th September 2007 at 03:12 AM.

Default Re: Capture NX vs Adobe Lightroom and Apple Aperture

Quote Originally Posted by virtuoso View Post
    Is anyone able to comment on whether and how Capture NX is superior. I am looking to get this software but struggling to see the difference.
    Sorry i know the answer is not in your question. I can say the best is Adobe Photoshop

Photoshop's ACR apparently doesn't take note of the in-camera settings used when you took the picture, so things like sharpness, contrast, etc, aren't applied when you open the RAW file, unlike with Capture NX.

NX give the best result but is sluggish, but I heard the latest version have got a huge leap of performance improvement, so worth trying out.

NX is like a simple version of CS2

but its worth giving it a try...

Personally i prefer LR...

Capture NX would be better in reading the the NEF or file/s coming out of Nikon's camera for the fact they better understand the file format algorithm of NEF...well. the reason is very much obvious but like what more ppl exp it is really sluggish...
    Last edited by jeorems; 13th September 2007 at 09:44 AM.
    Harmony Through Photography
    Ericson FB Page

Quote Originally Posted by jeorems View Post
    Capture NX would be better in reading the the NEF or file/s coming out of Nikon's camera for the fact they better understand the file format algorithm of NEF...well. the reason is very much obvious but like what more ppl exp it is really sluggish...
    another special feature in NX is the U-point which even photoshop doesn't have them. a simple but POWERFUL feature.

I use Aperture to process NEF, find that it decode the WB & pic sharpness 90% close to NX & it's very fast. Recently sold off NX as it's really too slow if you got 1000s of pic to process each week.

Lightroom is unable to do decode NEF as good as Aperture, I rate it 60% as compare to NX (IMHO). However I really like the simple vignetting effect & curve tuning in LR. Thus finally I am convince to get both Aperture & LR. I export the JPEG out of Aperture into LR to process for vignetting effect & custom curve.

So its a 2 step process for my case; convert NEF to JPEG in Aperture, fine tune curve or vignett effect in LR. More processing in PS if needed.

why not download the Capture NX 1.2 30 day trial version first!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    another special feature in NX is the U-point which even photoshop doesn't have them. a simple but POWERFUL feature.
    actually it's not dat PS dun have it. it's called masks. just dat unless u got the patience to do it mask by mask, NX is faster with U-point.

there is no comparison bet these products cos they are meant for different audience. lightroom + PS is one of the most common combination used by working pros to quickly organise their RAW files and to do a quick turnard for the RAWs - JPGs. aperture is the apple's version of lightroom + PS (well... almost.. ). NX is not meant to replace PS in any way. it's just dat it's meant to be the best (debatable) processor for NEFs.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Nikon capture NX v1.2 is indeed a very good la and easy to use software but like what most of them say, it is slow..

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    actually it's not dat PS dun have it. it's called masks. just dat unless u got the patience to do it mask by mask, NX is faster with U-point.

there is no comparison bet these products cos they are meant for different audience. lightroom + PS is one of the most common combination used by working pros to quickly organise their RAW files and to do a quick turnard for the RAWs - JPGs. aperture is the apple's version of lightroom + PS (well... almost.. ). NX is not meant to replace PS in any way. it's just dat it's meant to be the best (debatable) processor for NEFs.
    eh masking...

anyway, take NX if you got loads of time...

thanks guy.... this thread did not really produce the clearest answers for me nut I guess what appears to be clear is that NX is sluggish performance...

I actually like the upoint feature in NX which appears to be unique to the extent that CS has a mask function. NX's is probably easier to use?

In any case, I have as much as read the marketing information on these three products and I should use the trials to see what (and how well) they perform.

If there are any more specific feedback on features (rather than any one product is 'simply the best' type), I will be very grateful if you like to offer them!

Thanks!

I feel that the ability to preserve the in-camera setting in raw will really shorten your workflow a lot. (presuming u're a Nikon user)

And as mentioned by others, definitely the U-point technology which I wonder why other softwares dun have a similar feature.

hmmm...

NX + LR / CS2

at least that is what i am using...

i tried aperture.. but .... dunno... i just like LR better. (for me)

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    hmmm...

NX + LR / CS2

at least that is what i am using...

i tried aperture.. but .... dunno... i just like LR better. (for me)
    How's ur workflow like with NX + LR?

Save the new settings in the NEF with NX then import into LR for further post-processing?

Quote Originally Posted by RtOaNn View Post
    How's ur workflow like with NX + LR?

Save the new settings in the NEF with NX then import into LR for further post-processing?
    also can...

do what u need with NX first....

LR is there to play with effects and slide shows. (sometimes u can use LR to do color correction or what la...)

capture NX results are BEAUTIFUL ! nikon knows their hardware well, though its not quite a refined pro-tool like photoshot.

ViewNX and CaptureNX are a good combo. you will not be able to cure blemishes, blend e.t.c like you can in photoshop but its cheaper.
    economyrice.smugmug.com
    Nikon 18-200VR, Nikon 12-24 and 50 f/f.8

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post

Just would like to add that working Pros just rely on PS and ACR. They don't really depend so much on Lightroom or Aperture.

Try a softwere called DXO optics. You may love it.
    It even can strech the fisheye picture as well, If you are not 3rd parties lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast