Thread: Sigma Singapore...thumbs down

Default Sigma Singapore...thumbs down

Unbelieveable...one word to describe the Sigma Service Centre near redhill

bought a 70-200 2.8 EX DG HSM Macro in May from Alan Photo Funan
    ...lens is sharp, errr when it focuses correctly. I found more than half my shots were OOF (shutter speed all above 1000, F4).
    had the lens calibrated. On the 200mm end, acceptable. On the 70mm end...blah, all OOF.
    They could not fix it, they gave me another new lens, a 2nd lens.

...2nd lens, same problems. sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Sigma Singapore calibrated it, but problem was not solved. Apparently sometimes it works really well, and other times it just is completely OOF. Sigma Singapore replaced the lens with a new 3rd lens.

...3rd lens, seemed to be pretty good. sharp at all distances and all f-stops. i posted the lens in the buy n sell since my wife said she'd prefer a 24-70mm 2.8 L. However, after using the 70-200mm 2.8 EX DG HSM Macro lens another time, it was inconsistent again! At F 7.1, nothing was in focus! Choosing not to push this lens off another bro in CS, i told Sigma Singapore I wanted a refund. they insisted they cannot. I called Sigma Japan and after arguing with them, Sigma Japan FINALLY authorized a refund. understand I am talking about roughly 30-40% of the shots are no good.

However, Sigma Singapore says they cannot refund me becaue they "have no procedure for refund" HEhe, what do managers get paid for aye? Anyways, the solution is that Sigma Singapore will give me another new lens, which I am supposed to take back to Alan Photo. Alan Photo will not give me a refund since my purchase date was back in May and it is now September...understandable. Instead, i will have to purchase another lens...which will be a CANON and they will credit me the cost of the Sigma...fair enough.

However, Alan Photo tells me there is a 20% restocking fee that I must pay. Basically after hitting the roof, Alan Photo knocked it down to 10%. I am currently trying to get Sigma Singapore to PAY this restocking fee since it is not my fault. I tried to stay with their product by working with them to resolve the issue. Yet, now they do not want to pay the restocking fee when I could have simply returned the lens back in May without a restocking fee. I guess that is how Sigma treats a customer that is trying to be loyal to them.

Furthermore, the lens, mind you this is now the 4th new lens they gave me to give Alan Photo DOES NOT WORK. the manual focus ring spins, but the distance scale does not move, it's stuck on infinity. I checked on FM reviews and other people are having trouble with the newer Sigma's also. Mr. Ser and the receptionist are great people at Sigma Singapore, but management, wow, i think Japan needs to clean house with the management here. Why share this, because i'm pretty sure there are other bros that have taken the no refund policy and kept a lens they are not happy not with or sold it off. Sigma is good...when it works.

so...am i wrong for telling sigma that they are responsible for this stocking fee, or, what would you do?
    The re-stocking fee about $170.

Default Re: Sigma Singapore...thumbs down

Oopps.. heng u say earlier, almost bought the 30 f1.4
    phew..
    Canon EF prime, macro & L lenses on EOS30D

no longer hold any sigma lenses.. lucky me
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

thanks for the warning.

i think you may want to bring this to CASE and let them handle. cc this to all parties, especially japan side.

mr ser and the recept are very nice but there's so much they can do. this time give the sigma management something to do.....directly.
    Last edited by jfoo; 12th September 2007 at 02:19 PM.

I'm just intend to buy the Sigma 150mm macro lense
    so if cannot buy Sigma, is that mean I can only choose from Canon 100mm or Canon 180mm L macro
    Price for the 180mm L can kill me

Thankx for the info

woah baby... almost wanted to buy the 70-200mm f2.8 HSM Macro lens. now this makes me think twice...

thanks for the insight dude

wah~ hope you can solve the problem soon.. Can imagine all the time wasted to make all those trips also~

but I am very curious.. is Sigma lens really that bad??!? I really cannot imagine that kind of miss rates from sigma.. very shocking to hear that all 4 lens are not working! If say 20% of the whole batch are faulty lens (which is already quite bad), it would be 1/625 chance that you receive a faulty lens for 4 times.. Unless the whole batch of 70-200 f2.8 are faulty!! then Sigma really really need to do something about it..

Also did they allow you to try out the lens each time you went for a replacement? And did you try the faulty lens with other bodies?

sorry to hear your plight, after what you gone through. If it was me, i paid for the $170 and will never go back to Sigma. They have however changed 4 lens already, and its a way to say they did some service. On another point, have you tried the lens on other bodies to make a comparison?

my sigma 24-70 f2.8 is ok. so far no prob.

Do you have similar problems with other Sigma lenses or only the 70-200mm/2.8 Macro version? Possible that you need to calibrate your camera to the lens, and not the other way around.....have you tried the lens on other cameras?

Sigma Singapore replacing your lens 4 times I find quite a very good service, I think it shouldn't warrant your ranting here, the problem is just the restocking fee and not Sigma not willing to replace your lens isn't it? Restocking fee is indeed out of Sigma's responsibility cause it is the shop that charge you this (does Cathay also charge restocking fees?), but I understand they need to view your situation....

You may also have to view the date when the first lens was showing problems, if that was already a long way ahead of the May purchasing date, then the restocking fee had to be paid already by the time your first lens had problems.....

Anyway, I have never understood what the re-stocking fee is all about, it is just putting back the lens in the computer system :-)

HS

All I can say is... I fully symapthise with your plight Hawaiisg... but... "Welcome to the dynamics of companies in Singapore"

I've been thinking for a long time why shouldn't we have places like B&H with a full no questions asked return policy. (in a reasonable amount of time of course).

Maybe this isn't really relevant, but out of curiosity more than anything else, what body did you pair the sigma with? Any other 70-200 make that you own to test with? Just to nail down that it's a sigma product/manufacturing line defect and not a AF problem on the body?

DONT BUY THRID PARTY! woohoo!

wow...quite a bit responses.

yes, each time it was calibrated even with different cameras, and the funny thing is, is that in the service center it looks to be ok, but once i shoot out in the field i'll focus on a persons head, yet the ground before the person (on a full body shot) is what will be in focus. Or, I can focus right on a persons chest, and something to the left or right will be in focus. once, true story, Mr. Ser calibrated my lens at the service center, i went outside to shoot and noticed each pic graually getting worse. we went back in the office to check the calibration again. within half an hour, the calibration was way off. so way off it was focusing on something in front of the chart...not even on the chart when minutes earlier it was spot on and clear at 2.8.

dun know what to make of it, it just seems that with 3 different 70-200 2.8 newer macros, the focusing was just too inconsistent to work with.

to one bro who said why rant. not really ranting, just letting bros know that perhaps there are issues with this lens. even in the states people are starting to notice issues...perhaps it is with the chip because if i manually focus the lens produces great results.

anyways, again, not really ranting, just saying that there might be an issue, and to let bros know that sigma management in singapore is really unbelieveable. the funny thing is, is that this whole time sigma has been telling me that mine is the first lens of the 70-200 2.8 macros to have such problems...yet they give me a lens to return to Alan Photo where the focus ring does not work and it is stuck on infinity...hehe. i think this action really says a lot about how management will handle issues. to be fair, after talking with sigma, they said they did not have any other lenses for me to take to Alan Photo?

Well, if this is true, then why bother to give Alan Photo the bad lens, just call them to say write it off in their books and they will bring in the lens when a new batch arrives??? Furthermore, again, they have just put their foot in their mouths by saying the lens does not have any issues, yet they give me a broken one? In my opinion, they fully know what is going on but will keep it as hush hush as possible for fear of maybe something like a recall.

ranting, no...warning or bringing to light yes. i'm sure there are teriffic sigma stories, but mine is not one of them.

FM reviews http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=2 gives a mixed bag about this lens but the one thing held constant is sigma quality control. maybe you will be lucky, and maybe you wont, but then again that might be true for all lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Antzzz View Post
    Oopps.. heng u say earlier, almost bought the 30 f1.4
    phew..
    It's easier with primes because there is only one focal length to calibrate. Bottomline don't buy Sigma zooms or better still, go only for original lenses because the electrical data is not endorsed by the original camera manufacturers.. An option is to use Sigma bodies.

Maybe Sigma should implement a Six Sigma program.