a friend is going to the states for 6 months and helping her to check out how to do the above. she was wondering if she can avoid bringing so much cash with her. she will be going to an off town place at tacoma (chances is rare, but maybe someone has been there before), which is something like 50km from seattle.
i have got the following options, and wonder if anyone have much advices. i'm also checking out as much details on my own as well.
1. exchange currency in sg for better rates (S$ to US$), bring over US$ and cash into a local bank there
2. exchange S$ to money order (one time charge?) in different values
3. set up a local citibank bank account, withdraw from citibank atm over there
4. exchange S$ to travellor's cheque (charge by amount changed?)
5. use existing POSB bank account and withdraw from atm with cirrus network (something like 2% of total amount, with at least $20 per withdraw)
thanks in advance.