Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inconsideration

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Inconsideration

Originally posted by Sin
    And the best way to tackle the problem is to "joke" about it in a public forum?

"Lock them up and let them burn!", "inflict more bodily pain on them!", "shame them! parade them through the town square!", "burn them at the stake!".......
    You're adding in a lot of your own stuff eh? I only recall "locking them up", "caning them" and "displaying their particulars".

Sin
    Guests

Not everyone are as blessed as we are. Well educated, well informed. Just look at the way we're talking here, like as if we have all the right to condemn them.

Not everyone understands english or even mandarin that well. Not everyone has the luxury to read every article in the newspaper. Some people work from 3am till the next day. Some people dont read newspaper. Some people didn't finish even secondary school. SOme people could not afford tertiary education. Some people get all their news from market gossip and hearsay. Some people dont watch television. Some people don't even know what SARS stands for, other than the fact that it's some bad disease. Some people do nothing at all. Some people just like to talk about how they'll deal with errant people if they can take the law into their hands. Some people want everyone to read as much newspaper as they do. Some people want the oil in iraq. some people want to skin Saddam alive. Some people.......

Just because you're more informed and more educated, doesn't mean u have to judge everyone else according to your standard.

let me reiterate my point: We all know those people were inconsiderate, they acted inappropriately. No one refutes that. What they don't need are more people telling them what bastar*s and wilful idiots they are, and suggesting ways of dealing with them. No one is saying harsher punishments aren't called for. But contrary to some one pointing out that people here aren't condemning them, read the earlier posts, that's what it appears to be to me.
    Last edited by Sin; 23rd April 2003 at 07:54 PM.

Sin
    Guests

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inconsideration

Originally posted by imaginary_number
    You're adding in a lot of your own stuff eh? I only recall "locking them up", "caning them" and "displaying their particulars".
    "Lock them up and let them burn!" - "locking them up" - see earlier post

"inflict more bodily pain on them!" - "cane them"

"shame them! parade them through the town square!" - "displaying their particulars"

"burn them at the stake!" - Yeah, this one I added. Ain't too far from the rest, don't you think?

Not everyone understands english or even mandarin that well. Not everyone has the luxury to read every article in the newspaper. Some people work from 3am till the next day. Some people dont read newspaper. Some people didn't finish even secondary school. SOme people could not afford tertiary education. Some people get all their news from market gossip and hearsay. Some people dont watch television. Some people don't even know what SARS stands for, other than the fact that it's some bad disease. Some people do nothing at all. Some people just like to talk about how they'll deal with errant people if they can take the law into their hands. Some people want everyone to read as much newspaper as they do. Some people want the oil in iraq. some people want to skin Saddam alive. Some people........
    Huh? Tot we're talking abt the people who were told by the doctor not to wander off?

Just because you're more informed and more educated, doesn't mean u have to judge everyone else according to your standard.
    Nobody's doing any judging here - Listening to a doctor's orders is just a simple matter - u don't need to be "well-informed" or or even "highly-educated" for that matter, to understand and comply with a doctor's instruction.

let me reiterate my point: We all know those people were inconsiderate, they acted inappropriately. No one refutes that. What they don't need are more people telling them what bastar*s and wilful idiots they are, and suggesting ways of dealing with them.
    No one is saying harsher punishments aren't called for. But contrary to some one pointing out that people here aren't condemning them, read the earlier posts, that's what it appears to be to me.
    Nobody ever said they were bastar* or idiots? The issue at hand is what could be a good solution to keep this thing under control. As u said, since they acted inappropriately, in spite of being told not to (in the context of the person who wandered off after being told not to), so there should be a stricter approach on this matter, don't you think?

Thus, the ways that were suggested might sound harsh - but the people who brought them up must have had a rationale for their suggestions. Whether it is appropriate or feasible or not, that is another matter altogether. The point is, there must be some stronger form of deterrence.

edit : typo
    Last edited by imaginary_number; 23rd April 2003 at 11:02 PM.

newuser
    Guests

I think to "cane them" or "jail them" is a little too extreme.

Though I seriously feel they are not very responsible.

It is possible the older people among the family of 8, e.g the mother or father...etc is not aware of the dangers he/she might bring or the repercussion he will cause by "running" around.

the other people in the family, like kids...etc probably just followed the "indian chief" and went together.

Despite the media coverage and the kopi-tiam talk about the SARS, I won't be surprised to know that there are many out there who mis-informed about the SARS virus.

they could be too busy to keep up-to-date with current affairs, as I know many who don't read papers and watch only dramas on TV.

Or they could be un-educated or dialect speaking and hence don't understand the media coverage.

(I recalled someone wrote to ST asking for news on radio to be in various dialect so that the elderly who don't understand English and Chinese and know about the latest happenings)

The doctor who told them to "stay put" and wait for the ambulance should assign a nurse to "care" for them till the ambulance arrive.

I feel ALL those under quanrantine orders should be electronically tagged for monitoring purposes and NOT only those who break the rules cause it is too late to tag them after they take a ride in a MRT and spreading the virus to the entire train.

The tag can also come with a built in thermometer which takes their tempurature at regular interval and transmit the data to the control center who will sound an alert if any one of the tagged people hits 38 degress for longer than 5-10mins.

The authorities can then dispatch an ambulance to isolate him immediately.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inconsideration

Originally posted by Sin
    "Lock them up and let them burn!" - "locking them up" - see earlier post
    I read this as solitary confinement - and no, no burning.

"inflict more bodily pain on them!" - "cane them"
    I agree, this is on the dot.

"shame them! parade them through the town square!" - "displaying their particulars"
    A little distorted, imho. Having one's particulars displayed certainly isn't as bad as being paraded across the streets.

"burn them at the stake!" - Yeah, this one I added. Ain't too far from the rest, don't you think?

No comments.

Sin
    Guests

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inconsideration

I read this as solitary confinement - and no, no burning.
    "Padlock their gates and dun let them come out...even if there's fire since they are so inconsiderate.."

A little distorted, imho. Having one's particulars displayed certainly isn't as bad as being paraded across the streets.
    Serves the same purpose don't you think?They did that in the middle ages to show the town when they didn't have mass media. Same intention when it was "recommended".

Sin
    Guests

Default Re: Re: Re: Inconsideration

Originally posted by chngpe01
    FYI the irresponsible joker is their relative, it just goes to show that they know but just couldn't care less.
    if I'm not wrong, the family got it from another 64 year-old worker who worked at pasir panjang. This 64-year-old had a brother who had SARS and he visited him in hospital. He passed the disease to the 71-year-old who worked at the same center. The family of 8 is that of the 71-year-old.

There was no family relations that I know of between the family and the person who got it by visiting his brother. But I could be wrong.

I retract that "irresponsible joker" comment and apologise sincerely to any who may find that comment objectionable. You may like to know that the 64-year-old has passed away. I also unreservedly apologise to friends and families of the deceased for insensitive comments passed.

Let's all learn from these unfortunate incidents.

What is done cannot be undone now.

Let's move on; all of us will have to work together and play the part of a responsible citizen to steer through this troubled water!

I think drastic measures shld be implemented. Arm policemen wif tranquilizer darts to guard these "suspects". Try to run or wander off???Shoot em. Still wanna defy???Declare them as criminals with a jail term of 1 mth. Publish their faces in all the newspapers. Anyway, since they are to be quarantined. Treat the jail period of 1 mth as quarantine period.

Originally posted by Kho King
    I agree that they are inconsiderate, but then I think we should also give some sympathy to them.
    my sympathy goes to the people who died because of these inconsiderate actions. Not them.

BTW, I live in Serangoon Central. And I am now scared as HELL.

Deregistered

Default Re: Inconsideration

Originally posted by NitroTech
    Because of some inconsiderate people (suspected SARS cases)who wondered off to the food centre when the doctor specifically told them not to, the food centre near my place (serangoon Central) is now a danger area!!!

Don't understand....
    it's opposite my block. and the clinic mentioned is my family doctor. the dates mentioned for the clinic is 09 to 15th april - i went there on the 17th. and i'm feeling a tad feverish *right now* - on and off, on and off - but temperature hasn't hit anything over 37.5 *yet* and my upper back/neck is damned sore right now - something i haven't encountered for a long long time - years, in fact...

i'm not worried about myself, i'm worried about my school and my students...

psychological effect? hmmm

hey, didnt know you stay near my place. me live opposite 7-11.

Deregistered

merv, if my temperature hits 37.5, i'll call in the ambulance. i'm making some arrangements by myself in case i am do have the bug myself.

Wink ...

Hey nitro....it only takes a spark to get the fire going....the fire is burning burning bright.....where are you

newuser
    Guests

Originally posted by sehsuan
    merv, if my temperature hits 37.5, i'll call in the ambulance. i'm making some arrangements by myself in case i am do have the bug myself.

Seems like the 37.5 has become a magical number for everyone now.

Even my company is practising temperaure taking for those reporting for work everyday.
    Any one hit 37.5, can go home straight (though not sure if will dock his annual leave or medical leave)

As for me, I travel to several places in Singapore in a single day in my course of work, Woodlands, Boon Lay, Tampines, Toa Payoh....you name it. Meeting lots of different people daily.

I have to take cabs sometimes 4-5 times in a day.

Each time, a cab driver gets it. I have to flip through my taxi receipts to see if it concides with the time I was in a cab.

I think my risk level is higher than my colleagues working in the office whole day.

Sin
    Guests

Originally posted by sfhuang
    my sympathy goes to the people who died because of these inconsiderate actions. Not them.
    Well, these "inconsiderate" people could very well die. And they could have gotten the disease from other "inconsiderate" people.

Then what? sympathy + non-sympathy = what? half-sympathy?

Or is it sympathy + hatred = balanced out?

---------------------------------------------------------------

As I've said, it's easy to make comments, have opinions, and make recommendations when it haven't hit you.

Are people who visit the patients in hospital inconsiderate? should everyone practise "consideration" and not visit their close ones who are stricken and in hospital, just so the disease is controlled. So are those who visit patients in hospital and yet go to work, knowing they might pass the disease to others, considered inconsiderate?

Hypothetical: What will you do if your mother has the disease and you're the only one she has? Will you not visit her, so as to help keep society clean??

Hey, why not just kill everyone who has the disease and then cremate the bodies, that way we keep the disease at bay. I mean, that's the safest way for everyone not affected by the disease yet, rite?

newuser
    Guests

Are people who visit the patients in hospital inconsiderate? should everyone practise "consideration" and not visit their close ones who are stricken and in hospital, just so the disease is controlled. So are those who visit patients in hospital and yet go to work, knowing they might pass the disease to others, considered inconsiderate?

Hypothetical: What will you do if your mother has the disease and you're the only one she has? Will you not visit her, so as to help keep society clean??
    The issue here is not whether we get close to the infected persons or not.

If I am visiting a patient in TTSH or whatever hospital for that mattar, the hospital will give me the protection like face mask, overalls to wear and brief me on the procedures to disinfect myself prior to leaving the hospital.

either that I would take it upon myself to shield myself from the virus and hence not pass on the virus to others when I step out.

The issue here is that.

A) The people IGNORED the instruction to stay put for the ambulance to arrive

B) most importantly, they REMOVED the face masks issued to them for their own safety as well as the public safety.

C) Having removed the face mask, they proceed to walk around and have CLOSE INTERACTION with the members of the public.

If they had removed the face masks, hopped into their own car/van and drove home to rest.
    The issue is less serious, since they did not have any close contact with members of the public (no public transport) and they head to their own home.
    (It will not have resulted in the closure of the food center and the livelyhood of the stall holders who is unable to do business, not to mentioned the people dining there)

What if YOU were one of the people dining there? or what if you were the stall holder, whom they approached to buy food from?

Would you say, "It's okay lah, they are ignorant so I forgive them, no work for 10 days, no problem, rest at home lor, no business never mind"???

I don't see PM Goh telling the other S'poreans, don't blame them too much, not their fault what.
    Quoting from his letter

"Taking a lenient attitude will not help us break the cycle of infection. Instead, it may undermine the stringent infection controls we have painstakingly put in place to protect Singaporeans from Sars."

It only serve to encourage the other home quanrantine people to break the rules more.
    Last edited by newuser; 23rd April 2003 at 11:58 PM.

Whatever, it's very inconsiderate to deliberately defy orders from certified personnels (doctors) and deliberately act in a way that could harm orders.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by newuser
    Seems like the 37.5 has become a magical number for everyone now.

Even my company is practising temperaure taking for those reporting for work everyday.
    Any one hit 37.5, can go home straight (though not sure if will dock his annual leave or medical leave)
    37.5 is the magical number because the usual measurement methods (e.g. placing thermometer in the heat spots under the tongue) will bias the measured temperature lower than the body temperature. It's rather troublesome to do it the right way (i.e. stick the thermometer in the anus!).
    Last edited by mpenza; 24th April 2003 at 12:39 AM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast