Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inconsideration

Originally posted by pyre
    i wonder if public humiliation would be worse? print NRIC # and name + passport foto like a criminal online and in print.
    So are u gonna write in to the ST Forum?

Sin
    Guests

Default Re: Inconsideration

Don't understand....
    Most people won't understand becos it never happened to them.

how would you feel if the doctor just told u that your whole family could be in very real danger of dying. Family of eight had kids and old people in them don't they.

And all you had to suffer was to walk further for your food?

Come on, we all agree that they were wrong to act irresponsibly. No one condones what they've done.

But spare a thought for them too. They're in very real danger of losing their whole family. We don't need more condemnations. Reminders will serve a better purpose than finger pointing and howls for blood.

They too were infected from some irresponsible joker who went to work after wilfully exposing himself to the risk of the disease.

Default Re: Re: Inconsideration

Originally posted by Sin

They too were infected from some irresponsible joker who went to work after wilfully exposing himself to the risk of the disease.

So that means this gives them the right to walk around and affect others?

As for your other points, yes i do agree with you.
    Last edited by NitroTech; 23rd April 2003 at 12:00 PM.

I was shocked, man. The medical hall, that clinic and the coffeeshop all are near my place.

Yes, while i do sympathize them, they HAVE to be socially responsible.

Sin
    Guests

We ALL agree they have to act responsibly.

And no, they have no right to go around infecting others.

But do u know what they were thinking then? Maybe they were having irrational fear of dying. Maybe they were at a loss of what to do. Maybe the shock too big for them. Maybe they just plain evil. Who knows?

But are suggestions of public shaming, lock-up and etc helpful?

Originally posted by Sin
    Well it appears that telling them not to go to public areas doesn't seem to do any good.

Those suggestions give in the hope that such measures could deter them? If the gentle way doesn't work then tougher measures are required?

Originally posted by Sin
    We ALL agree they have to act responsibly.

And no, they have no right to go around infecting others.

But do u know what they were thinking then? Maybe they were having irrational fear of dying. Maybe they were at a loss of what to do. Maybe the shock too big for them. Maybe they just plain evil. Who knows?

Ok. I respect your point(s). Guess each of us have our own thoughts about this.

Sin
    Guests

Agree agree agree.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and kopitiam politics are the easiest to engage in.

Until we ourselves are being hit by the disease, we'll never "understand".

----------------------------------

How come we don't place the blame on the doctor who called the ambulance. Why didn't he recognise that these peple could be distraught or could have irrational fear. Why didn't he get someone to keep a close eye on them? How could he allow them to wander off?

There're countless of people to point our fingers at.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re: Inconsideration

Originally posted by Sin

But spare a thought for them too.....

FYI the irresponsible joker is their relative, it just goes to show that they know but just couldn't care less.

I therefore have no regards nor understanding for them at all. Afterall I am sure they don't give a damn if any one of us lose our job or loved ones becasue of their behaviour!!

The threat of SARS is real not only to us and our family but also the survival of our nation.

This is not a laughing matter nor to be taken lightly.

Sin
    Guests

Default Re: Re: Re: Inconsideration

Originally posted by chngpe01
    This is not a laughing matter nor to be taken lightly.
    And the best way to tackle the problem is to "joke" about it in a public forum?

"Lock them up and let them burn!", "inflict more bodily pain on them!", "shame them! parade them through the town square!", "burn them at the stake!".......

------------------------------------------

Hey, it's just the same with Iraqi civilians not stopping their car, when the Americans told them in PERFECT ENGLISH "STOP! S.T.O.P. STOP!"

And that one idiot of a businessman .... who thinks sleeping on his own bed is more important than going to TTSH.

These people deserved to be shot and cremated.

Default Doctor-Hop

Doctor-hopping mentality is not difficult to understand.
    Fear of getting SARS while waiting to see the doctors is the root.

Going to TTS does increase the probability of getting SARS from the cluster of suspected SARS patients who are waiting to get the doctors' diagnosis.

Instead of asking people to play-safe and be considerate to go to TTS immediately when they suspect they have SARS, I have another suggestion.

Equip a few ambulances with doctors, medical equipment, any other barang barang required to confirm if one has gena SARS. If still cannot confirm, the suspect will be put on home qurantine.

So instead of asking the suspected patients to be brave, be civic-minded, considerate etc, why not send the doctors to the suspicious?

Default Re: Doctor-Hop

Originally posted by nudi
    Equip a few ambulances with doctors, medical equipment, any other barang barang required to confirm if one has gena SARS. If still cannot confirm, the suspect will be put on home qurantine.
    sigh.... don't you understand? there is no standard test kit for SARS.

The symptoms are simply high fever, cough and shortness of breath.

All cases of suspected SARS were first placed on home qurantine orders.

i think those ppl who check ppl for temperatures are also another source for infection. imagine 1 guy have the symptoms & he checked even thou he wore a mask or watever, the nxt person could be infected indirectly by the equipment.

anyway no where is safe now i suppose...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

to be fair, i think there may be more than just plain inconsideration to these people's actions, not that i condone or pardon what they've done, but i think the fear and the gravity of the SARS situation in SG hasn't sunk into many people still.

i do believe a lot of people are still carrying on their lives as normal, without little thought for infection or contamination. i myself am one such person. i still take public transport, eat at public places, walk around without a mask, wash my hands only when my mom or gf nags at me. i take reasonable precautions, but not to the point of paranoia. call it self-denial, ignorance or just plain refusing to face the facts, but SARS is a fatal illness, and the thought of death affects every1 differently. i honestly believe no one would willingly go around infecting others out of malignance or ill-intent, so while it IS stupid, it may not be totally inconprehensible.

but i do agree, stronger measures are needed to drive the message home, that SARS is a VERY SERIOUS disease and we're in the middle of a epidemic.

Slikman
    Guests

Why sympathise or pity them?
    They're being inconsiderate in the first place, and they failed to understand simple instructions.

Imagine, a minute of their time could kill thousands.

Now, lets see who's considerate.

Default Re: Re: Doctor-Hop

Originally posted by mervlam
    sigh.... don't you understand? there is no standard test kit for SARS.
    The symptoms are simply high fever, cough and shortness of breath.
    All cases of suspected SARS were first placed on home qurantine orders.
    ya...ya.... But before u r put on home qurantine, u still have to go to TTS for doctor's confirmation.

Other then the common symptoms (high fever, cough and shortness of breath), you can do a chest x-ray or blood culture to confirm if the patient is down with SARS.
    CAn't we shift all the required test equipment and personnel for diagnosing and confirming a SARS patient to the SARSbulance??

I think by omitting the SCARY step of heading to TTS for confirmation will encourage the suspected SARS patients to be truthful and seek medical attention promptly.

Originally posted by Sin
    That's right, nobody knows what they were thinking, but whatever they were thinking about - it is undeniable that they were inconsiderate. It's just like in war - it's scary but you still have to fight. And the SARS issue is considered a war at this point of time.

"Mr Goh said it was unfortunate that there still were some Singaporeans who ignored the advice of health officials: 'Some are irresponsible. Others are irrational because of their fear of Sars. Whatever the reasons, they pose a danger to themselves and to the wider community.'"

By the way, if you've been following the news, u'll know that even the PM gave a mild suggestion of "locking them up" as well.

These solutions might not sound pleasant but it would certainly act as a deterrence. As it is, I believe that you're aware that the soft approach hasn't been working well.

Originally posted by Sin
    Until we ourselves are being hit by the disease, we'll never "understand".
    Please don't generalize - there is at least one group of people out there who "understand" and show much more courage than those who displayed acts of irrresponsibility.

How come we don't place the blame on the doctor who called the ambulance. Why didn't he recognise that these peple could be distraught or could have irrational fear. Why didn't he get someone to keep a close eye on them? How could he allow them to wander off?
    There're countless of people to point our fingers at.
    That's b'coz he trusted them and it is true that he should have recognise that these people were fearful but as it is, the consequences are not serious enough to deter them from wandering off.

That's why there's a need for harsher measures. Most of us here empathize with the victims and no one actually "condemned" them here as you claimed. Rather, these are suggestions for measures that will deter others from doing likewise.

The harsh truth is, whether u like it or not, if tougher penalties are not implemented, there will always be a group of recalcitrant people.

i got so disturbed by this news the whole day after reading the papers in the morning and really wonder what are they trying to do? if this happen in the begining i guess i won't feel that bad but right now all of them, each and everyone should know what this SARS is all about....and should be very caution in handling it....and not just having a kind of 'BO CHAP' attitude. i hope this family will learn their lesson thru this hard way. may god bess them and everyone here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast