Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Is this a scam?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    554

    Default Is this a scam?

    I just received a call on my mobile, and on the other side, the person identitfied herself as a representative of a health company, trying to sell me something. I promptly told the other party that i'm not interested and put down the phone.

    I then only discovered that the caller was from China from my caller display. I then vaguely rememebered that there was a warning that was posted in the internet, warning people not to pick up such calls from China, or your number may be made use of.

    However, I can't remember what the scam was and how it works, anyone of you know about this?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    I got an incoming call from china last night too (+86 country code), but the caller just ringed twice and disconnect. Don't know if my line will be affected too.

    But just words of caution, if you don't expect any calls from overseas, better not pick it up.

    What you vaguely read on the internet is true. It's something like that, though i don't know how it works exactly.. When you pick up the call, the other party will use your line to connect to another number and the both of them can have conversation as long as they want until they put the phone down. You will be the one who is paying for their talk time.

    TS: you should call up your mobile service provider, and ask if there's any trunk call within the last 24 hours. That should help
    Last edited by behyx; 11th September 2007 at 05:25 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Thanks for your reply.

    I've already called my service provider up, and they've advised me to remove my SIM card from the phone for half an hour. They have also taken note of the call too.

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    just answering a call will not do anything
    if i am not wrong you need to press some numbers on your phone

    so just say you are not interested and put down the phone

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    If they call u and drop off almost immediately, never ever call back. This is quite common in and from China. You may end up paying additional charges.
    Things I've learnt on photography
    [S5Pro][28-70 f2.8][ZF 35 f2][85 f1.4][sb800][Elinchrom D-Lite 4]

  6. #6
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    I think the scam works by tricking you to call back. Picking up the phone should only cost you your local airtime if you don't have free incoming.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    I just received a call on my mobile, and on the other side, the person identitfied herself as a representative of a health company, trying to sell me something. I promptly told the other party that i'm not interested and put down the phone.

    I then only discovered that the caller was from China from my caller display. I then vaguely rememebered that there was a warning that was posted in the internet, warning people not to pick up such calls from China, or your number may be made use of.

    However, I can't remember what the scam was and how it works, anyone of you know about this?

    Just kan them nicely done for a couple of seconds then put down the phone.

    Telemarketers beware...

  8. #8
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    她有没有问你
    "去吗 ? 亮仔" ?
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  9. #9
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Is this a scam?

    I've also received a call from a PRC lady asking me if I speak mandarin.

    I just say that she got the wrong number.

    Looks like the scm is gathering momentum. CS members beware.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    I've also received a call from a PRC lady asking me if I speak mandarin.

    I just say that she got the wrong number.

    Looks like the scm is gathering momentum. CS members beware.
    I also got a call from a Chinese lady, asking me whether I speak mandarin. I pretended that I don't understand, then she just said thank you and byebye. The number is 85xx xxxx, I think it is a local number. Don't know what they are up to.
    Come visit my blog

  11. #11
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Is this a scam?

    Another scam to beware is the hifi equipments and speakers selling from a Van.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Another form of scam is a China lady calling you and tell you that you had won some 'grand prize of USD$200,000' through a lucky draw organised by a China IT company which had their road show recently in Singapore (or Johor), but the call came from overseas, and they would need you to claim your prize. Either you can go down to the road show venue immediately to claim or can give them your bank account No. and NRIC No, then they will transfer the fund to your bank account.

    Then they will call again and claimed that all procedures had being completed and the fund is ready for transfer, but before the transfer can take place, you must remit USD$5,500 into one of their designated bank account as a 'Personal Form Guarantee'.

    What a scam!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    I also received one strange call yesterday afternoon. The lady spoke with a very strong PRC accent (she claimed to be calling from HK but no cantonese accent traced), and couldn't speak nor understand english.
    My phone showed "no number" display, so I couldn't really tell where the call was dialed from.

    She claimed that she's doing a survey for a casino in Singapore (?!? IR not even built mah. she refering to NTUC jackpot rooms meh? ). I just replied that I'm very busy and disconnect the line. I could hear lots of phone ringing and people speaking in her background (those typical telemarketing company calls background sounds that u'll hear).

    I'd checked with my service provider too. They say as long as I have free incoming, I'm safe. There's no records of phone tapping so far, and they'd noted that similar cases of this kind is on the rise recently.
    Last edited by SQ123; 11th September 2007 at 10:49 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    Another form of scam is a China lady calling you and tell you that you had won some 'grand prize of USD$200,000' through a lucky draw organised by a China IT company which had their road show recently in Singapore (or Johor), but the call came from overseas, and they would need you to claim your prize. Either you can go down to the road show venue immediately to claim or can give them your bank account No. and NRIC No, then they will transfer the fund to your bank account.

    Then they will call again and claimed that all procedures had being completed and the fund is ready for transfer, but before the transfer can take place, you must remit USD$5,500 into one of their designated bank account as a 'Personal Form Guarantee'.

    What a scam!
    I got the same call from JB, they say the road show at Ah FOOk Kawy. They say I won a second tier prize given out by Hong Kong Horse Racing association. They are very persistence, called a few times asking me to collect the prize. I told them I will check with the Hong Kong side, and they never called back again.

  15. #15
    Senior Member harrynkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    that why i nv answer to private call or overseas call, even from the friends
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Another scam to beware is the hifi equipments and speakers selling from a Van.
    I kana approach by this kind of van twice once ehind Sim Lim the other at my place multi story carpark.Tell them I dont need e Hifi or Home entertainment system for free Hey but what is the catch, how they con people? anyone got any ideal? I kepoo ahh....
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    job recruitment also got scam

    beware

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I also got a call from a Chinese lady, asking me whether I speak mandarin. I pretended that I don't understand, then she just said thank you and byebye. The number is 85xx xxxx, I think it is a local number. Don't know what they are up to.
    I got one from +85 1111. It's a Macau number, telling me I've been selected to go Macau for some dunno what opening ceremony blah blah.. I told her she must be mistaken because I'm in SG, she replied they are doing telemarketing and targetting SG. The second time I received a call from +85, I just end call.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 12th September 2007 at 09:45 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I got one from +85 1111. It's a Macau number, telling me I've been selected to go Macau for some dunno what opening ceremony blah blah.. I told her she must be mistaken because I'm in SG, she replied they are doing telemarketing and targetting SG. The second time I received a call from +85, I just end call.
    It does not look like Macau number leh....

  20. #20

    Default Re: Is this a scam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    It does not look like Macau number leh....
    Sorry, it was +855 1111. Cambodia?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •