Thread: San Francisco advice needed :)

Default San Francisco advice needed :)

I'll be going to SF in Nov. Did a search and saw a few CSers have been there b4... Hope you guys will read this and could kindly chip in some advice..

Is 6 days in SF too long? I'll be taking it nice and easy with some photo shoots. Am thinking of going to Grand Canyon in Arizona also but is it convenient in terms of flight and time needed?

Any affordable hotels to recommend around SF town that cost ~S$150 for 2?

Many thanks. Appreciate it!

Default Re: San Francisco advice needed :)

David, lucky you!

First and foremost, bring a good wind breaker and very comfortable sneakers as you'll be walking a lot facing gusty winds.

For accommodation, SF is on the pricey side. For SGD150 per night, you can try their inns (e.g., Quality Inn, decent, not far from Fisherman's Wharf). Whatever you do, do NOT choose any inn/motel near Broadway. Real dodgy rooms, the type of place you would hide in when running from the police. You get the idea.

I'm not sure about the Grand Canyon, but you can do day trips to Yosemite. Seven days is plenty for SF area alone, which I reckon can wrap up in 4 days max.

The weather will be quite good (as in less foggy) around year end, and you should have a good clear view of the Golden Gate. Bring a polarizer too. And as always, have lots of fun!

6 days in SF, barely enough. Live there for 19 years and it is still not enough.

Yosemite is 4+ hours drive away. A day trip is too hurried. Grand Canyon is way too far. Driving, 12 hours, floying, not much fster, becasue you have to fly into Las Vegas or Pheonix, then drive there.

If you are renting a car, plan go to Muir Woods north of the city across from the Golden Gate Bridge. The Russian River valley is also very nice to spend a lazy afternoon. Ofcourse, Napa is jsut an hour from SF.

Going south, heads towards Monteray/Carmel. Drop by the outlets at Gilroy.

In the city, the Quality Inn at Fishermans Warf will bust your budget. Try some budget hotels a bit outside of the city center, in Richmond or in SoMa.

Look for hotel discount. There usually are if you are not there over peak periods. Weekend is cheaper usually if the hotel caters to business travellers.

PM me if you want to know anything more about my fav city.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

There are plenty to see and to do in SF.....take one day tour to Wineyard in Napa/Sonoma Valley....you can sample a good variety or red or white wine

I got a very good bargain here previously http://www.kinggeorge.com/intro.html, walking distance to everywhere including the subway to airport.

how i miss SF... too many things to do there... it pays if u can understand cantonese there...

SF is nice place for photography. Many place to see and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I'll be going to SF in Nov. Did a search and saw a few CSers have been there b4... Hope you guys will read this and could kindly chip in some advice..

Is 6 days in SF too long? I'll be taking it nice and easy with some photo shoots. Am thinking of going to Grand Canyon in Arizona also but is it convenient in terms of flight and time needed?

Any affordable hotels to recommend around SF town that cost ~S$150 for 2?

Many thanks. Appreciate it!
    its not impossible to do the drive from sanfran to grand canyon. i did it, and from GC back to yosemite, and eventually back to sanfran in a loop.

a week in sanfran would be decent to catch the highlights of the place, but there's a lot more to it.. lovely place.

for accommodation, you can book online with your SG credit card, and you can search for the hotels via price etc via www.expedia.com and www.triprewards.com. i use both of them for the best price/locations. the motels i.e. super 8, ramada, howard johnson, redroof inns etc are all very decent and very nice. not expensive too.

in sanfran the bus system is pretty good but the underground is only good from market street onwards to other places up north or down south.

if you want to do a drive to GC, like what i did, have a couple of other drivers to take turn driving. pick up a atlas at the gas station for $12 or something and you are good to go anywhere in the states.

roads are lovely and wide.

from sanfran you can drive down to los angeles, stay a night there
    from los-angeles, drive up to las vegas (6hrs?)
    from vegas -> mesquite (stay a night there if you want to spend some time in vegas and do a night drive) abt 4 hrs - mesquite is v nice! desert environment and a tiny town outta no where..
    from mesquite all the way to grand canyon north rim entrance (this is far.. and elevation's pretty high)
    from GC to Page.. another town near Grand canyon (spend the night there if you want)
    From Page to Visalia (spend the night there too if you like, you will get to go past the highway 66!...)..
    from visalia you can take a trip to Sequoia national park and kings canyon national park.. very nice!! the deepest canyons in the states are in kings canyon.. sequoia nat park for the biggest trees in the world..
    from then on, drive all the way up to mersat.. then to yosemite.. this is a bit challenging cuz.. there's a lack of gas stations all the way into yosemite especially the 2hrs worth of distance before reaching yosemite and the way out of yosemite is pretty much wilderness towards sanfran. \

if you think the drive's too challenging, you can take internal flights to probably somewhere nearer GC, i.e. one of the arizona cities/utah via Airtran www.airtran.com the flights are cheap...probably 80 bucks... but flight back into San fran is costlier.

do know where to rent vehicles when you need one.. www.enterprise.com is my fav, supercheap cars is decent as well but lousier insurance policy
    chezburgr i can haz?

Wow, thanks guys! For all the useful info... I need time to digest them.

Now I have some idea and will use the info to plan my trip further.

Might ask some of you again if I have any questions! Many thanks again!

This is one of my old posts...

Need some help guys...

I've been readin up but I can't find info at what time the bus services in SF stop every day. I hope it's not too early! Will be going there next month and I expect that daylight is short. So don't want to be stranded downtown with no bus to get back to hotel!

I will not be driving and I foresee that the bus is my most commonly used form of transportation to get around.

Also, do the buses come fairly often, say ~20 mins? Or longer?

THANKS!!!

if near coast, lots of buses. buses are frequent.

try searching for muni? (bus service provider called muni in sf)

get the muni 3-7 day pass more worth it
    chezburgr i can haz?

AH yes SF is beautiful. I would reccomend the drive down Highway 1 from SF to LA or at least Santa Barbara if you can spare the time. One of the most beautiful and scenic drives ever.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    AH yes SF is beautiful. I would reccomend the drive down Highway 1 from SF to LA or at least Santa Barbara if you can spare the time. One of the most beautiful and scenic drives ever.
    yup... i did that, its long, but you can actually drop by newport beach or something where they filmed the OC i think...

coast's nice... strawberry fields along the way
    chezburgr i can haz?

I will going to San Francisco in Nov too.
    Heard its going to be a bit wet. The last couple of times I being there was in summer, how's the temperature? Need any thick jackets?
    I would be staying in San Bruno area and probably drive around the place. I only have 4 days in the Bay Area.

some of my description SF stuff on my blog
    http://perqjon.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

Just purely photographs on:
    www.perqjon.com/SF_Yosemite
    www.perqjon.com/DV_Vegas_GC

Travelled during march 2007. ~1wk SF, another 9days a big clockwise loop in CA.

Thanks for DP for advising.

I might be back in March 2008, would plan for northen/coastal trip this time. Though I've missed out on Antelope Canyon in the Najavo area (~eastern from Grand Canyon).
    Antelope is a pure photographer's paradise judging by the many pictures I see in guide books and in USA itself. http://www.antelopecanyon.com/photos.html.

Do post pictures of the place when you guys are back.

I'll be going to Boston/NY in late Nov this year. Am thinking of going to Niagara...but ~5 hours fr Manhattan and 8-9hours to Boston!!! In winter! Anyone with experience with such?