Thread: Lonely Red Beetle

Default Lonely Red Beetle

Hello,

Took a picture of a beetle and will really appriciate C & C. Will like to shoot more in the future. Thanks guys.

EXIF Details:

Camera: Canon Powershot S3 IS
    Shutter Speed: 1/15sec
    Focal length: 6mm
    ---ooOo---
    Canon S3 IS + Al' Cheapo Tripod (I'm sure its a tripod ... Got 3 legs :bsmilie:)

Default Re: Lonely Red Beetle

it seems OOF and a little overexposed to me...(not that i'm an expert of course!)

Shutter speed is too slow for macros, you're liable to get movement blur either from the insect or the leave moving.

So in your case, I would suggest using a forced fill-in flash (diffuse it with a tissue or something similar to reduce the harshness) This would normally bump up the shutter speed to a decent 1/60 secs.

As for aperture, I dun think you have much to control, but looking at the picture, it seems that the rear left leg of the beetle is in focus as shown by the leave also. Try to aim for the eye.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Shutter speed is too slow for macros, you're liable to get movement blur either from the insect or the leave moving.

So in your case, I would suggest using a forced fill-in flash (diffuse it with a tissue or something similar to reduce the harshness) This would normally bump up the shutter speed to a decent 1/60 secs.

As for aperture, I dun think you have much to control, but looking at the picture, it seems that the rear left leg of the beetle is in focus as shown by the leave also. Try to aim for the eye.
    Hi Zac,
    Thanks for your advise, I'll try ISO100 for my next shoot. I've been working with ISO80 all these while. For the flash, I've cut out the lining from a CD jacket and taped it around the flash to diffuse it.

Its kinda hard to focus on the fella's eye cos from what I can see its only one rectangular box in the display. The shot was taken using Super Macro, almost with the bug touching the lens Got any pointers how to shoot and get a good focus on the eye with the S3 IS ? Thanks mate
    ---ooOo---
    Canon S3 IS + Al' Cheapo Tripod (I'm sure its a tripod ... Got 3 legs :bsmilie:)

I do not use the S3, so all I can try is via the reviews I've read about it.

It should have a flexi-zone AF function, try that to focus as close to the head or eye as possible. Try to utilise the manual mode and choosing a smaller aperture to increase the DOF, I believe f8 is the maximum for your cam.

ISO 200 or 400 can also be tried.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I do not use the S3, so all I can try is via the reviews I've read about it.

It should have a flexi-zone AF function, try that to focus as close to the head or eye as possible. Try to utilise the manual mode and choosing a smaller aperture to increase the DOF, I believe f8 is the maximum for your cam.

ISO 200 or 400 can also be tried.
    Ahh Thanks Zac, will try it all step by step. Not that I like "Av" hehehe but I always use Av. Yes f8.0 is the max for S3 IS.
    ---ooOo---