Thread: would you buy 2 consumers DSLRs or 1 semi-pro DSLR?

Default would you buy 2 consumers DSLRs or 1 semi-pro DSLR?

kind of curious,

will you get 2 consumer DSLRs like (400D/D50/E510) or 1 single semipro (40D/D200/s5pro)?

They cost around the same and weigh around the same.

Would you rather have the flexibility of a 2 lens combo or the added features of a semipro DSLR?

I chose 2 DSLRs, but am wondering if I am the rare breed as most people seems to go for the semipro route when they upgrade.

My idea is that with 2 E510s, I can mount a WA and a tele fast prime. The added features of a semi-pro will not impact my pictures so much as the increased possibilities given by a ready 2nd lens.

Example, a WA is a must for my travels. But with a tele prime lens, I can shoot a totally different kind of shot immediately with no hassle.

Especially since nowadays consumer bodies are very capable like the canon 400D has the focusing unit of the semipro model 30D and a smilar sensor as that of the 40D. My twin E510 has both live view and IS and effective dust cleaning solution.
    Last edited by wind30; 9th September 2007 at 05:00 PM.

Default Re: would you buy 2 consumers DSLRs or 1 semi-pro DSLR?

interesting...
    --

I am only an amateur, but I would imagine the more ideal situation is one pro and one entry level. ie. an E3 and a E510.

But with regard to your question, I am starting to see the benefits of having two bodies. I think that you will probably get more shots with two cameras versus having one camera. Especially if you are into photography that may make you lose shots when changing lenses. At the end of the day, it does appear that a pro camera may not necessarily take better pictures than entry level cameras. So if this were polled, I would give my answer to you as two entry level DSLR. Hehe..maybe get a E410 or E330 as the second one???
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    kind of curious,

will you get 2 consumer DSLRs like (400D/D50/E510) or 1 single semipro (40D/D200/s5pro)?

Would you rather have the flexibility of a 2 lens combo or the added features of a semipro DSLR?

I chose 2 DSLRs, but am wondering if I am the rare breed as most people seems to go for the semipro route when they upgrade.

My idea is that with 2 E510s, I can mount a WA and a tele fast prime. The added features of a semi-pro will not impact my pictures so much as the increased possibilities given by a ready 2nd lens.

Example, a WA is a must for my travels. But with a tele prime lens, I can shoot a totally different kind of shot immediately with no hassle.

Especially since nowadays consumer bodies are very capable like the canon 400D has the focusing unit of the semipro model 30D and a smilar sensor as that of the 40D. My twin E510 has both live view and IS and effective dust cleaning solution.
    I like the idea of having 2 bodies with different lens to save the trouble of changing lens. But looking on the other side where weight and size comes in, even with 1 body and 2 more lens seems heavy not to say 2 bodies with 2 lens

i also like the idea of shooting with two bodies, but i'd take the one semi pro/pro body route. i'm not a big fan of carrying more than i have to and carrying two bodies plus two lenses strung around me is just out of the question.

i'd rather stand and swap lenses or make do with what i have right there and then.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    kind of curious,

I'd go for a pro DSLR and a semi-pro DSLR. Even though you may have a similar module in the consumer end DSLRs, the calibration and accuracy may not be as stringent to reduce production cost.

It depends on what context will you be needing to use 2 bodies.

I used to do that when I shoot film. This is to enable me to use a 20mm wide-angle prime and a 85mm telephoto prime during certain events. I used a relatively cheap Nikon F601 body. Quality of photo is more dependent on the photographer, the lens and the film. The body is just a box to make it all happen. Sometimes, I load different film in the different bodies (colour/black&white, iso200/iso800).

Nowadays, digital bodies are rather expensive and the "film" have been replaced by the "chip" which is inherent to the camera body you buy. Also, you can change ISO settings and between Colour/B&W with the menu. :-)

If you plan to shoot only with prime lens, then get two bodies, if not, just get a semi-pro body and a good zoom. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by wahZe; 9th September 2007 at 08:10 PM.

for me, I'll choose 1 semi-pro body. Although the idea of having 2 bodies is very tempting, but weight will definitely be an issue for me. I'll end up bringing only 1 body.

Aside the reasons above, I would put my $ into a pro body. And when I really need a 2nd body (paid assignment, cannot fail missions etc), rent a 2nd or even 3rd body.

Great to know that I am not the only one who thinks like that. I have a E-330 which is for wide angle and a E-510 for telephoto. Since I do not mind carrying a big bag, I find the benefits of having two bodies much more than having a single body even though if it is a pro. If you take lots of shots on events and especially fast pace actions like I do, you won't have the luxury of time to change lens from wide angle to tele for different shots and compositions. Moreover, you never need to worry if ever one fails for whatever reasons.
    Last edited by xlakedaemon; 10th September 2007 at 11:39 AM.

if i were to cover important events i would use a semi pro-slr which i use and rent another one as a bakup set as i don see the need of buying and letting it rot in my digicabi
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

I currently have a Nikon D80, which is good enough for me, but my lenses ain't that good. Anyway back to topic, I would rather get a semi-pro DSLR in future (hoping for D300) than two consumer DSLRs as I don't really see the need to.

Like the rest, I would opt for semi pro cameras instead. They give better controls over the situations.

Of course, unless you're talking about weddings where urgent need to change from wide to tele, 2 camera bodies will be a better choice.

Semi pro will give better performance / features, so no point of get 2 lower end DSLR for the same $. After all, other than a back up, there is no other advantage.

So Semi-pro for me.

Same will goes for 2xsemi-pro vs pro, if I am going to spend that much money, performance / features count vs an extra backup.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I'd go for a pro DSLR and a semi-pro DSLR. Even though you may have a similar module in the consumer end DSLRs, the calibration and accuracy may not be as stringent to reduce production cost.
    Heh. Same sentiments here...