Thread: Sony Cybershot V1 = G3 and C5050 -killer?

Default Sony Cybershot V1 = G3 and C5050 -killer?

Specs look good and the autofocus is very fast! Shutter lag, full auto focus is 0.423s/0.781s (wide/tele) compared to ~0.9s for G3 and C5050.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V1/V1A.HTM

But the lens is slower at F2.8-4.0 though.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Thumbs up

The V1 looks good indeed - With memory stick pro, storage issue will no longer hold ppl back.

A feature-packed cam with unlimited video recording and even the ability to manage folders thru the camera.

It resembles a G3 though - heats up the competition, which is good for us as consumers

xlurker
    Guests

Actually the V1 is in the ultra compact class...that is the ixus size...so I would call it a ixus killer rather than a G3 killer....

hotshoe's there too...imagine a metz or giant flash on the V1.....

Originally posted by xlurker
    Actually the V1 is in the ultra compact class...that is the ixus size...so I would call it a ixus killer rather than a G3 killer....
    Haha, do you know how thick the V1 is? It's twice as thick as a Ixus 400, I would really hesitate to put them into the same size class.

it has no RAW format nor spot metering...

It does have spot metering. Also, the target group for this do not typically look for RAW format, but it does have uncompressed TIFF which should suffice.

newuser
    Guests

I'm not so sure if it will kill the C-5050, but I am sure the Canon G3 and the Nikon Coolpix 5000 still has 1 strong feature over the DSC-V1.

The G3 and Coolpix 5000 both have hot shoes supported by Speedlites flashes (whether it's a 550EX or SB-80DX)

the DSC-V1 also have a hotshoe but it can only do auto flash with 3rd party flashes and SONY has only 1 type of flash in it's inventory.
    You may use metz and it's SCA for SONY, but that's not going to beat the G3 + 550EX or Coolpix 5000 + SB-80DX.

I am using a 717 myself and I also feel the on of the major disadvantage the F717 has over the Coolpix 5700 is in the flash choices.