Thread: RAW files gives grainier images?

Question RAW files gives grainier images?

I am using Nikon D80. When I convert my RAW image to jpeg in ACR, it seems that the output is grainier than the jpeg version from the camera. Anyone encountered this?

Personally, I feel that the D80 does a good job is smoothing/ reducing the noise in the image. However, RAW gives more flexibility in adjusting the WB, levels, etc. As my PS knowledge is limited, I find I can never achieve the level of smoothness of the camera jpeg. On the other hand, the sharpness is better for the RAW version.

Jpeg from RAW:

Jpeg from D80:

Besides this, colour is also more saturated for the jpeg, even though i turned it down in the D80. I saw this issue was covered in a recent thread here. Now, if only my skills in PS are good ... but it seems too much work ...

Default Re: RAW files gives grainier images?

you need to do noise reduction when you output raw

raw is unadulterated data
    jpg has been "pped" in-cam, what your camera thinks is best

raw would offer far more control

if those 2 shots are indeed the same you would notice that the noise reduction done by your camera has removed some of the details in the folds, i'm not too sure if it is the same shot though, looks slightly different

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ... if those 2 shots are indeed the same you would notice that the noise reduction done by your camera has removed some of the details in the folds, i'm not too sure if it is the same shot though, looks slightly different
    Thanks. Those 2 shots are the same. One from RAW and the other directly from camera. It's just my cropping wasn't done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel_006 View Post
    Thanks. Those 2 shots are the same. One from RAW and the other directly from camera. It's just my cropping wasn't done properly.
    Despeckle it....?

Quote Originally Posted by myopia View Post
    Despeckle it....?
    Despeckling is not the proper way to solve it. Noise Reduction has to be done properly when working on the photo in ACR, such that you get the optimum noise level, without losing too much detail.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Despeckling is not the proper way to solve it. Noise Reduction has to be done properly when working on the photo in ACR, such that you get the optimum noise level, without losing too much detail.
    Sorry for being a noob. What's ACR?

Quote Originally Posted by oswin View Post
    Sorry for being a noob. What's ACR?
    Adobe Camera Raw