Thread: Charging Laptop

Default Charging Laptop

Is there anyway to charge a laptop while driving in the car?

Something like a cigarette lighter adapter or something...

Kindly advise...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Default Do you drive long enough?

Hi Wolfgang,

There are devices that allow you to charge your computer in your car but do you drive long enough to fully charge it?

If you drive around only enough to charge the battery halfway, you will accelerate the dreaded memory effect on the battery.

If you think you drive long enough to charge, e.g. from Singapore to Malacca or Kuala Lumpur, you can look for the Targus travel Adaptor with multiple power plugs or buy a DC to AC Inverter from Sim Lim Tower and use your existing AC adapter.

Regards

Default Re: Do you drive long enough?

Originally posted by rebalf
    Hi Wolfgang,

There are devices that allow you to charge your computer in your car but do you drive long enough to fully charge it?

If you drive around only enough to charge the battery halfway, you will accelerate the dreaded memory effect on the battery.

If you think you drive long enough to charge, e.g. from Singapore to Malacca or Kuala Lumpur, you can look for the Targus travel Adaptor with multiple power plugs or buy a DC to AC Inverter from Sim Lim Tower and use your existing AC adapter.

Regards
    Well, my batt is a Li-Ion one, and i supposed there isn't much of a memory effect, yes? But yes, i do drive long distance quite often so i guess i would need a travel charger.

A inverter in a pretty bulky, yes? But i reckon thats the only choice right? Looking at a targus "PORT Mobile Power Inverter" now.. anyone knows how much would one cost?
    --

Li-ion batteries doesn't have the memory effect.

I use the LL PWR Auto Air Adaptor that allows me to charge/use the laptop both on flights as well as in the car using the cigarette lighter socket... not sure if you can get it in S'pore but travel shops might be you first port of call to findout.

Note that some of these adaptors/invertors do not all work in the new Boeing 777 Business Class sockets.
    Last edited by SzennyBoy; 22nd April 2003 at 08:51 PM.

Default Re: Re: Do you drive long enough?

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    Well, my batt is a Li-Ion one, and i supposed there isn't much of a memory effect, yes? But yes, i do drive long distance quite often so i guess i would need a travel charger.

A inverter in a pretty bulky, yes? But i reckon thats the only choice right? Looking at a targus "PORT Mobile Power Inverter" now.. anyone knows how much would one cost?
    Yo Wolfgang,

Try to walk to Funan when you next visit CP or Fotoguide and look for a laptop shop in the building.

Regards

Default Re: Re: Do you drive long enough?

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Wolfgang, this is what you need. It is easily available at Funan or Sim Lim Square. If memory serves, it should be around S$180.

Hi, although Li-ion battery don't have much memory effect.

It does have a charge cycle.

So If a battery have 1000 charge cycles. EVERYTIME you join to AC power to use your notebook with battery in it consider 1 cycle even though battery is at full charge.

My 1st laptop battery died less than a year.

Reason:- Leave it plug in (even though full charge) when using A/C power.

Turn on/off a few time a day...

Now I take it out when using A/C power.

Hope this helps...

Imaging you driving.. everytime charge a bit ... need 3 or 4 drive to charge battery full... 3-4 cycle gone..

Originally posted by Snowcrash

So If a battery have 1000 charge cycles. EVERYTIME you join to AC power to use your notebook with battery in it consider 1 cycle even though battery is at full charge.

Turn on/off a few time a day...

Now I take it out when using A/C power.

Hope this helps...

Imaging you driving.. everytime charge a bit ... need 3 or 4 drive to charge battery full... 3-4 cycle gone..

thanks for the advise.
    --

Originally posted by Snowcrash

Yup, agree with this - my friend's batt died in less than a year too. So I learnt from her mistake and from then on, I would always use AC power when available (w/ the battery removed).