Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    To ask if NS is necessary is similar to asking if war is necessary.
    Sorry bros..

Cannot see the link. Would you like to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Enlisted Act started in 1971... over the years, many young men had gone thru it...

So the question is "Is NS necessary?"
    So who WILL protect singapore?

Other people? Only Singaporeans can help defend your own country. We are a small country, with lots of others looking at us jealously. Without these NSF's to form a core, how will we expect the rest of them to toe the line?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

If you want to be defenseless, then Big Brother will have a reason to take care you.

You decide.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    So who WILL protect singapore?

Other people? Only Singaporeans can help defend your own country. We are a small country, with lots of others looking at us jealously. Without these NSF's to form a core, how will we expect the rest of them to toe the line?
    But if you care to go thru the thread, there are still people saying that 'NS' is a waste of time...

vince123123
    Guests

It is necessary if they cut down on all the redundancy, repetitiveness, time-wasting and inefficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    It is necessary if they cut down on all the redundancy, repetitiveness, time-wasting and inefficiencies.
    Problem ... yes there are every where. Importantly if they improve then we can move on.

So is there improvement?

Do you think we are capable of resisting intruder or aggressor?

Enlistment Act is in 1971.. we are now 2007?

Are you saying that we had wasted (2007-1971) years of so many 2.5 years of thousands who had gone thru it?

But if you care to go thru the thread, there are still people saying that 'NS' is a waste of time...
    Well, those people either dun know the importance, or they just dun care...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

NS is vital, however the entire system needs some reform so that the SAF becomes more professional in its ops capability.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Of cos it's necessary.. If not, how would i be able to.... 1 magazine of 1000 imaginary round load and ready..... fire..... bang.. bang.. bang.. bang..bang.. bang.. bang.. bang..bang.. bang.. bang.. bang..

Jokes aside, well it's necessary.. guys that went thru the Army learns to be more.. Flexible.. less demanding.. Chao keng.. and the most important of all.. master the art of Tai Chi. Basically, u'll get to learn lives skill. How else do you think you can sleep beside your buddy that snores every night for the 1.5 years after you've been posted to a unit.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    NS is vital, however the entire system needs some reform so that the SAF becomes more professional in its ops capability.
    Any suggestion to improve the system or the SAF?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Well, those people either dun know the importance, or they just dun care...
    U are right. Those ppl dont know what they are talking about!!!!

Nothing is free. There is always a price to pay for.

So what's wrong if we contribute 2.5years of our life to secure the future of ourself and the future of our family.

So what's wrong if we contribute 2.5years of our life to secure the future of ourself and the future of our family.
    reminds me of a song we always sing when we're jogging.

'haf u ever wondered, why mux we serve?

becos we love our land and we want it to be free, to be free! YA!"

hehehe

feeling a'lil nostalgic.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

i think most are just sore that guys need to waste 2 years of their prime life while their girl counter parts take it easy outside. The enlistment act does not state only MALES need to do national service. I seriously think that if ALL Singaporeans, guys and girls were to be put onto an equal playing field the guys will complain less.

Places where girls can serve in:
    Hospitals, train them to be nurses. In battle we need lots of medical attention and service medics are limited in the army.
    Police, put the girls through the police academy training then police stations. Learn what hierarchy and leadership is all about, so often i see childish squabbles in offices amongst female friends about poor leadership. Can keep peace and remain calm under times of crisis.
    Homes for disabled and aged, always in need of volunteers but they usually only turn up on weekends. If we have a force of females doing national service to take care of them it'll be good.

I can think of many many other government agencies that we can put them in but just too lazy to type it all out.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    i think most are just sore that guys need to waste 2 years of their prime life while their girl counter parts take it easy outside. The enlistment act does not state only MALES need to do national service. I seriously think that if ALL Singaporeans, guys and girls were to be put onto an equal playing field the guys will complain less.

Places where girls can serve in:
    Hospitals, train them to be nurses. In battle we need lots of medical attention and service medics are limited in the army.
    Police, put the girls through the police academy training then police stations. Learn what hierarchy and leadership is all about, so often i see childish squabbles in offices amongst female friends about poor leadership. Can keep peace and remain calm under times of crisis.
    Homes for disabled and aged, always in need of volunteers but they usually only turn up on weekends. If we have a force of females doing national service to take care of them it'll be good.

I can think of many many other government agencies that we can put them in but just too lazy to type it all out.
    Hi... we are discussing a different subject... you may wish to start a thread..

It's good somtimes we deviate a bit...

vince123123
    Guests

I'm saying that for example, in a term of 14 days reservist, 5-6 days is more than enough. How do I know? Because I'm sitting around doing nothing for the remaining 8-9 days.

The same time wasting happens everywhere in SAF. NOt to mention money wasting (Oh must use up this year's budget, else next year kena cut. Lets anyhow buy things...)

Whether we are capable of resisting intruders or aggressors has nothing to do with the length of time spent.

Problem ... yes there are every where. Importantly if they improve then we can move on.

So is there improvement?

Do you think we are capable of resisting intruder or aggressor?

Enlistment Act is in 1971.. we are now 2007?

Are you saying that we had wasted (2007-1971) years of so many 2.5 years of thousands who had gone thru it?

I think NS is definitely necessary. What irks some of us guys is the time wasting and terrible admin they have there.

All those adverts about SAF are overhyped. The public never see what's the real inside and the big shots wont know what relly goes on at the bottom level. Do they care anyway? Hardly, and I don't blame them. It will hardly affect them. As for SAF scholars, their paths are all well laid out. Of course they can utter those nice words you see in the Scholarship adverts.

Besides BMT, where i did learn some skills and fitness, I'd say my time in NS is waste time. Cos I was downgraded and had to be a servant -- wash cups, prepare notes for officers, clean toilets, endure long long waits just for things to happen (characteristic of SAF back then and I believe still now.) Basically things that won't help me in my future.

But I didn't complain back then cos I treated it as a duty every male Singaporean has to go thru. You know, they said, SAF -- Serve and F____ Off... All us NSF who got better things to do were looking forward to our ORD. My friends were all comparing with each other -- Eh, u so good Pes C, next time reservist not so siong... Wah u Pes E lagi better, 5 yrs reservist only... etc

But I just realize this is not the case. I still get called up... Yes, to do what? Waste time thingy again... Stuffs NSF could do easily but oh no... they got to get people like me... I hate the waste time sessions. MAn, I'm no longer a 20 year old young guy who could spare precious time doing rubbish. Now, it has to happen again?!

Even for mobilisation, they tell me you must come back by 1 1/2 hrs time!!! When I reached there, just sat around waited for 8 hours doing nothing! Some of my super fit friends who are Pes A are not even called for anything at all!

I don't earn that big money, but still, every time they call me for reservist, SAF has to fork out >$1000 for a few days of my time that other NSFs can easily do.

And when it comes to other matters like financial help lower income family can get, notice how difficult they try to make the poor enjoy them by setting a very low income bracket per family?

I see no logic.

Yes, NS is definitely necessary but ___________ Oh whatever.
    Last edited by kiwi2; 5th October 2007 at 05:17 PM.

SAF r simply forcing ppl 2 downgrade, tt is all i can say

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I'm saying that for example, in a term of 14 days reservist, 5-6 days is more than enough. How do I know? Because I'm sitting around doing nothing for the remaining 8-9 days.

The same time wasting happens everywhere in SAF. NOt to mention money wasting (Oh must use up this year's budget, else next year kena cut. Lets anyhow buy things...)

Whether we are capable of resisting intruders or aggressors has nothing to do with the length of time spent.
    You service vocation one ah? Which unit u come from? My unit just stand down 2 years ago and now I'm under Mindef Reserve. I suay kena convert from service voc during NS to combat voc during Reservist.

Carry M203 some more - imagine 300M rundown with M203 then u know Dig, dig, dig trench for 72 hrs non-stop during coastal defence EX until forget IC number .

I some more kena the old 13 year cycle but never got chance to sit around for 8-9 days like u. So lucky, complain some more .

Later your CO give super pack ICT then you also complain!

Any 589 SIR servicemen here?
    Last edited by greenieadi; 5th October 2007 at 09:04 PM.

SAF

Wait to rush
    Rush to wait

sibei standard lah.... as for the expenditure, well each govenrment has a budget to spend and this amount of money is necessary else without this Armed Forces deterent, we can't have easy lifes...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

vince123123
    Guests

I think its probably not a good idea to say what the unit is, scarly kena black mark during reserivst Wait until I complete the cycle then I tell you

If someone wants to create work for you to fill up your time durign reservist, anyone can do that. The question I'm asking is whether it is indeed necessary for all that work or time to be spent. At the end of the day, I believe that the KPIs required for each ICT can be easily met without spending all that time doing it.

Its people like you that cause the people in authority to create work to fill up the space and such work is only intended as a space filler.

Quote Originally Posted by greenieadi View Post
    You service vocation one ah? Which unit u come from? My unit just stand down 2 years ago and now I'm under Mindef Reserve. I suay kena convert from service voc during NS to combat voc during Reservist.

Carry M203 some more - imagine 300M rundown with M203 then u know Dig, dig, dig trench for 72 hrs non-stop during coastal defence EX until forget IC number .

I some more kena the old 13 year cycle but never got chance to sit around for 8-9 days like u. So lucky, complain some more .

Later your CO give super pack ICT then you also complain!

Any 589 SIR servicemen here?

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast