Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 374

Thread: Is 'National Service' necessary?

  1. #121

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    Going back for Reservist brings Opportunities for businesses
    You're a regular Lobang King eh?

  2. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    You're a regular Lobang King eh?
    haha yeah lah.. good time to talk ****.. talk about work and u never know

  3. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    at work we talk about army to colleagues.. in camp we talk about work to campmates..hahhah
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  4. #124

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    at work we talk about army to colleagues.. in camp we talk about work to campmates..hahhah
    This is called networking and it is the only time when U can go anywhere by telling your wife that you have night training the whole night...

  5. #125

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    haha yeah lah.. good time to talk ****.. talk about work and u never know

    Also play cards... and drink till cannot go training the next day... amd made to stay back and do DO ...

  6. #126

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Hi lovells19,

    In such a huge organisation, there sure to have **** up here and there and it is created y human being. I can understand what you had said. Perhaps you are referring to those waiting time.. waiting for transport to come, waiting for your time when at firing range etc. Those are the moments I thik they can improve upon.

    We would need to use them or test once only and that is the moment we dont like to see!

    As a whole, the time spent is well worth it.. it is never a waste of time.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Hi all,

    after much discussion.. can someone help to put up a poll.. sorry I dont how to do it..

    The vote ask for:

    1. National Service is necessary
    2. National Service is not nescessary
    3. I don't know
    Last edited by Yappy; 17th September 2007 at 08:37 AM.

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Hi lovells19,

    In such a huge organisation, there sure to have **** up here and there and it is created y human being. I can understand what you had said. Perhaps you are referring to those waiting time.. waiting for transport to come, waiting for your time when at firing range etc. Those are the moments I thik they can improve upon.

    We would need to use them or test once only and that is the moment we dont like to see!

    As a whole, the time spent is well worth it.. it is never a waste of time.
    No lah. wait to rush rush to wait is already the culture.

    being an 'effective' army, these should be really kept to the minimum. I have no issues with those, it gives us a little rest time in between the hectic training.

    what i cannot stand is the regulars who are making stupid mistakes and making the NSF bear the consequences. and the bad leadership and examples that these 'leaders' shown during my time of service.

    Which is why I said, army taught me to work with losers and still get things done. Being a specialist I am always clamped in between the welfare of my men and the pressure from the officers. I'm not stereo-typing the entire force. there are the really good leaders which i have worked for, and they are the one that kept the company going. The losers are just hitching a ride.

  9. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    No lah. wait to rush rush to wait is already the culture.

    being an 'effective' army, these should be really kept to the minimum. I have no issues with those, it gives us a little rest time in between the hectic training.

    what i cannot stand is the regulars who are making stupid mistakes and making the NSF bear the consequences. and the bad leadership and examples that these 'leaders' shown during my time of service.

    Which is why I said, army taught me to work with losers and still get things done. Being a specialist I am always clamped in between the welfare of my men and the pressure from the officers. I'm not stereo-typing the entire force. there are the really good leaders which i have worked for, and they are the one that kept the company going. The losers are just hitching a ride.
    This senario happens not only in army its everywhere

  10. #130

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    No lah. wait to rush rush to wait is already the culture.

    being an 'effective' army, these should be really kept to the minimum. I have no issues with those, it gives us a little rest time in between the hectic training.

    what i cannot stand is the regulars who are making stupid mistakes and making the NSF bear the consequences. and the bad leadership and examples that these 'leaders' shown during my time of service.

    Which is why I said, army taught me to work with losers and still get things done. Being a specialist I am always clamped in between the welfare of my men and the pressure from the officers. I'm not stereo-typing the entire force. there are the really good leaders which i have worked for, and they are the one that kept the company going. The losers are just hitching a ride.
    My commander once told me.

    "If you don't treat your men fair, firm and well during peace time, they will turn around and shoot you during an emergency... don't forget, U depend on them to fight for you as you cannot fight the battle alone!"

  11. #131

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    No lah. wait to rush rush to wait is already the culture.

    being an 'effective' army, these should be really kept to the minimum. I have no issues with those, it gives us a little rest time in between the hectic training.

    what i cannot stand is the regulars who are making stupid mistakes and making the NSF bear the consequences. and the bad leadership and examples that these 'leaders' shown during my time of service.

    Which is why I said, army taught me to work with losers and still get things done. Being a specialist I am always clamped in between the welfare of my men and the pressure from the officers. I'm not stereo-typing the entire force. there are the really good leaders which i have worked for, and they are the one that kept the company going. The losers are just hitching a ride.
    Everywhere outside is the same!
    NS also gave me the impression.
    I did'nt know who 'keng' more during my active NS time, regular or NSF?
    Be your own SME - Subject Matter Expert to survive at work.

  12. #132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Everywhere outside is the same!
    NS also gave me the impression.
    I did'nt know who 'keng' more during my active NS time, regular or NSF?
    Be your own SME - Subject Matter Expert to survive at work.
    not in my present company

    it's really the culture that some people bring from army into the workplace..

    outside boss also got losers.. but at least i can fire them anytime i feel like it..

    inside there.. gotto bear till ORD.. complain also no use

  13. #133

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    As an NSF i would gladly say that other than the invaluable friends u make and the physical training in NS, most of the 2yrs+/- is a waste of time.. although national security is important.. it is also relatively redundant for our country..

    Aside from that.. imho quite a large portion of the regulars in service are actually wasting taxpayers money.. so yea.. my 2 cents worth
    E-M5 user and I am lovin' it! E-M5, 12-50Kit, 17mm f 2.8, 25mm f1.4, 60mm macro, 45-175 zoom.

  14. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    ah, might as well fund a project to make robot soldiers like I-Robot! local men got not enough time for work, wifey & increase population. must we always import wad we dun hav enough of?
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 18th September 2007 at 12:45 AM.

  15. #135

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by makinjosh View Post
    As an NSF i would gladly say that other than the invaluable friends u make and the physical training in NS, most of the 2yrs+/- is a waste of time.. although national security is important.. it is also relatively redundant for our country..

    Aside from that.. imho quite a large portion of the regulars in service are actually wasting taxpayers money.. so yea.. my 2 cents worth
    U only use them once and that is the moment that nobody want to have or see.

    Why do you go to school? Isn't it a waste of time and a waste of taxpayer's money?
    Why do you eat and why do you have to work?

    Pse don't feel offended as from the above you maybe able to realise the important of having a strong army...! the chinese said..."U feel any army for a hundred days and you use them only once!"

    Pse correct me if I am wrong.

  16. #136

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by makinjosh View Post
    although national security is important.. it is also relatively redundant for our country..
    I don't get you. Your statement itself is a contradiction in terms.

    It would be very interesting to hear how national defence has been made "redundant" in our country.

  17. #137

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    its a waste of time...time that can be spend to earn more money...
    without a country to call our own, there is no home to speak of. without a home, what need is there for $$ ? i know it sounds like **** and i am not exactly a very patriotic citizen, but to ask a question like this in a age of terrorism is a little untimely it seems ...

    anyway, i know there will be those to say that our army is outnumbered many times over by our neighbours here and there, but that's not the point. the point is to show them that we are capable of defending our soverign. there is little doubt the invaders will win, but we will make them pay dearly for each inch of ground.

    in times of peace, it is very easy to forget the turbulent history of our country and how many lives were lost in the early wars here. i think all of us ought to pay homage to those faceless heroes who laid down their lives to ensure that we can live in peace and comfort today, and contribute in our own ways to continuing this legacy and our own heritage. there is a Chinese saying that when you drink water, remember where it came from.

    cheers !
    Last edited by Yew Fai; 18th September 2007 at 08:23 AM.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by makinjosh View Post
    As an NSF i would gladly say that other than the invaluable friends u make and the physical training in NS, most of the 2yrs+/- is a waste of time.. although national security is important.. it is also relatively redundant for our country..

    Aside from that.. imho quite a large portion of the regulars in service are actually wasting taxpayers money.. so yea.. my 2 cents worth
    'Invaluable friends' - glad they enjoy ya company too.

    'waste of time' - If u dun waste tis time, u wun meet ya friends above.

    'National Security Importance' - Yes. No comments.

    'Redundant' - Please clarify. Like we have enuff weapons? buddy wif more powderful nations? wealthy enuff too bribe our enemy? Nothing in tis country? etc.

    'Wasting taxpayers money' - Imported Voluntary armed defence forces to enforce National Security?

    '2 cents worth' -

    O Yea, just do ya job like everyone else may u b
    da nut, screw or da motherboard.
    Tatz National Security if u wish to mention it..
    Last edited by Morphis; 18th September 2007 at 08:46 AM.

  19. #139

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    hmmz sorry if i offended anyone.. but what i meant was national security is impt but ns is getting redundant. reason being.. most of the nsfs are training at a level in which if we were to be attacked by another country it would be not be substantial enough. it is basically just a show of force. and our regulars from what i can see esp. the middle ranking ones aren't very good role models for the nsfs.. which is why i say it is wasting taxpayers money, not the saf as a whole.

    but either way i would think that singapore without ns wouldn't be singapore.. for many reasons..and i totally agree with chinese sayings and also agree that we have to protect our motherland which i myself truly can't live without (one of the best environments ever).. however i'm just disappointed at how our army has turned into something so much more "wayang" than "garang" like during my dad and uncle's time thats all..

    ps. i really dun mean to offend anyone just voiced out my view as a current nsf.
    E-M5 user and I am lovin' it! E-M5, 12-50Kit, 17mm f 2.8, 25mm f1.4, 60mm macro, 45-175 zoom.

  20. #140

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by makinjosh View Post
    hmmz sorry if i offended anyone.. but what i meant was national security is impt but ns is getting redundant. reason being.. most of the nsfs are training at a level in which if we were to be attacked by another country it would be not be substantial enough. it is basically just a show of force. and our regulars from what i can see esp. the middle ranking ones aren't very good role models for the nsfs.. which is why i say it is wasting taxpayers money, not the saf as a whole.

    but either way i would think that singapore without ns wouldn't be singapore.. for many reasons..and i totally agree with chinese sayings and also agree that we have to protect our motherland which i myself truly can't live without (one of the best environments ever).. however i'm just disappointed at how our army has turned into something so much more "wayang" than "garang" like during my dad and uncle's time thats all..

    ps. i really dun mean to offend anyone just voiced out my view as a current nsf.
    No offense taken.
    I think u r da best person to make tat difference as ya r still serving the nation.
    Leaving da country in ya hands to defend when I go for my long range angling trip.
    After ya have done ya tour of duty, ya mindset may change... ...
    Time flies.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •