Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

3 times

zhun boh

got research to prove or not

Blog Entries

NS tought my how to use an M16 and hit a target at 300m away
    so before i get killed, i will at least kill 4 or 5 of them first.

or each of us has a granade and just throw down from our flats
    real killer litter

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post

real killer litter
    Haha don't forget the fundamental of holding an M16 when firing it can be of help when holding a camera for steady shot

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post

real killer litter
    For some, they were taught to shoot from 600m away with a machine gun.

For some, they were taught to shoot from at least 1km away, one shot one kill, with a sniper rifle.

For some, they were taught to shoot from helicopter.

For some, they were taught to 'shoot' with a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    For some, they were taught to shoot from 600m away with a machine gun.

For some, they were taught to shoot from at least 1km away, one shot one kill, with a sniper rifle.

For some, they were taught to shoot from helicopter.

For some, they were taught to 'shoot' with a pen.
    Deadly pen has become
    the Deadly email (the latest!) "Excuse me Uncle Teo...."

Ya, I'm fully aware of this, just that since I'm not too familiar with Navy's vocations term or name, thus I didn't really mentioned about them, but I do know the Navy do have many servicewomen also, and many of which are combat vocations.
    Agreed.
    There are many capable women who contribute to National Defence too that I am also not aware of. Was just adding to the list.
    Last edited by foxwagon; 11th September 2007 at 11:19 PM.

Although I hate it when inside, but at least i learn a lot of things from there. I even have the chance to go oversea and gain a lot from there also. But still have to serve up to 40, I think it is a bit of waste of time. 35 is what I think is the best as mostly of us marry by then n family more impt.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

probably gonna enlist by dec.. i don't question mindef's line abt wad every singaporean man has to contribute to nation's defence blah blah blah.. just hope to have fun when i'm in there.. the $400+ per mth would come in handy too! my DSLR....
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    probably gonna enlist by dec.. i don't question mindef's line abt wad every singaporean man has to contribute to nation's defence blah blah blah.. just hope to have fun when i'm in there.. the $400+ per mth would come in handy too! my DSLR....
    Honestly, it's really depends on how and what kind of attitude you have towards your NS, if you make it out to be a happier one, it'll be happier and fun one. Sure, it's usually no fun and si pei shiong while going through the trainings with sweat and sometime even blood, but it's the memories later when you recall back then you'll realise it was actually kind of fun.

Sure, it'll also have it 'sucks' and whatever words one may describe it, there is no perfect organisation and no perfect management, cause no matter how great or complete the policies and systems may be, but as long as it's managed by people, there will always be some subjectivities.

If you enter with a mentality of to learn something positive out of it, chances you'll be, yes, even if one is enlisted only as a clerical staff or storeman. There are still many things to learn, especially so interpsonal skills.

What will your NS experience going to be, is really depends on what you are going to make out of it.

If you happens to be at MINDEF, Gombak later, please do let me know. We'll meet for kopi. Haha...

Honestly, it's really depends on how and what kind of attitude you have towards your NS, if you make it out to be a happier one, it'll be happier and fun one. Sure, it's usually no fun and si pei shiong while going through the trainings with sweat and sometime even blood, but it's the memories later when you recall back then you'll realise it was actually kind of fun.

Sure, it'll also have it 'sucks' and whatever words one may describe it, there is no perfect organisation and no perfect management, cause no matter how great or complete the policies and systems may be, but as long as it's managed by people, there will always be some subjectivities.

If you enter with a mentality of to learn something positive out of it, chances you'll be, yes, even if one is enlisted only as a clerical staff or storeman. There are still many things to learn, especially so interpsonal skills.

What will your NS experience going to be, is really depends on what you are going to make out of it.

If you happens to be at MINDEF, Gombak later, please do let me know. We'll meet for kopi. Haha...
    Nice words and wise advice. Many had gone thru it. I do enjoy it and had tasted the sometimes 'unreasonable' treatment. But this is live man... take it positively and I am sure you will enjoy it... importantly make full use of the time when you are in.....

Cheers!

I must say that I have learn alot from my NS days. Those lessons really prepare me well in my working life. I can endure lots of **** being thrown at me by some tyrant co-worker and yet know how to stand up for myself if I really want to. I have met lots of co-worker who have not gone thru NS and I can see the differences in the way that we think. I can say we are more mature in the way we handle issues.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Hear hear... totally agree with you.

Sometimes I really wonder why people do not understand that national defense is a basic necessity for our survival. Is it out of pure ignorance of the geopolitics of our region or simply self-centeredness?

Quote Originally Posted by glay78 View Post
    Haha don't forget the fundamental of holding an M16 when firing it can be of help when holding a camera for steady shot
    For me it's the other way round.. I've been shooting film before shooting bullets..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    Is it out of pure ignorance of the geopolitics of our region or simply self-centeredness?
    There are some out there who waited on hand and foot ever since they were born. So the prospect of making their own bed and lining up for food may be too much for them to bear!

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    huh... i will online get paid 400 bucks onli... cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    Hear hear... totally agree with you.

Sometimes I really wonder why people do not understand that national defense is a basic necessity for our survival. Is it out of pure ignorance of the geopolitics of our region or simply self-centeredness?
    Life have been very kind to many them today. We ought to tell them the reality. Out there, the fitness survive. If you have no muscle, you will be bullied.

BTW, you need money to buy muscle. Passion and love is not enough!

Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    huh... i will online get paid 400 bucks onli... cheap...
    Everything is free..

free food,

free lodging,

free clothing,

free shoes, boots

free sock,

free t shirt,

free short,

free training,

free use of rifle,

free medical,

free dental,

free scolding,

the army once also provide free underware

free firing,

and you get $400 for having all these free

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Everything is free..

free food,

free lodging,

free clothing,

free shoes, boots

free sock,

free t shirt,

free short,

free training,

free use of rifle,

free medical,

free dental,

free scolding,

the army once also provide free underware

free firing,

and you get $400 for having all these free
    but hor but hor..... not enough .. FREE TIME
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

why is it necessary...i think another question to ask is if national service were voluntary, how many would enlist on their own?

also, would those voluntary enlistments be enough to sustain a nations military...so i think within this question that has been rephrased, you'll find your answer.

if people looked at it this way, yes, they would see that for Singapore NS has to be mandatory. i hope one day men will reason it this way and realize that like it or not, it really is the right policy to take. i often critisize things, but for this, i agree it is necessary.

in a country like the states, people volunteer...i did. we volunteer not really for the benefits, although free housing and schooling and learning a trade is well worth it. people volunteer because of pride and love of a nation. i volunteered a few years of my life for a country that has given me a world of freedoms. sadly, i do not agree with much of its policies and positions. however, to be free is an incredible feeling and somehow the only real way to appreciate that, is when you don't have it. From a country that was occupied only a couple generations ago, how could one really question the necessity of NS?

TS, that statement not meant for you...but for those who might question it. make NS voluntary and do you think it would serve your country better, or worse...and in that is your answer.

what's right for an individuals is not always right for a nation...and likewise, what is right for a nation, may not be right for individuals. this is why it is important for people to be able to say to governments "I agree", and also "I disagree" because in the end, all are trying to make things better. And personally, after serving for my country, you better believe it is within my right to voice displeasure or protest...i earned that. And without fear, so have all of you.

NS should be done with pride, enjoy it and make the most of it...without it, I suspect NDP would be pretty boring and who else will make the goody bags; ministers? hehe...jus kidding.

It's a necessity for sure, so serve proudly
    i salute all of you who have served
    ...bet you never thought you'd ever hear something like from me aye

...now can i please get some college american football on espn puhleeese

Truthfully I think its a waste of time.

But then I would say it is necessary. Because If we don't then there will not be an Defence force, given the way the parents spoils their kids now a days, Who would want to join on their own?

If no one wanna join, then we won't have a defence force, who gonna defend and fight for our land when there's a war? The Americans? or British? or Maybe Mighty Mouse?

During my term of service, I served under great commanders which i learn a lot from and not forgetting the Losers commanders which no doubt makes me think that I have wasted my time doing the National Services. Thinking back it helped me to learn how to cope and work with losers yet still get things done.

There are some good things about National Service.
    National Service does help some people grow up.
    Going back for Reservist brings Opportunities for businesses

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast