Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Ladies, like us, should do national service as well!
    you wait long long.

Correction to sentence structure. Ladies are not like us!

Ladies should do national service, just like us!

Quote Originally Posted by advrider View Post
    you wait long long.
    But if there is a possibility it would be good don't you think?

Especially true to get those with that maid loving, 5Cs or Paris Hilton mentality to eat some humble pie.

I had been thinking about something like this for sometime now. Fine it might not be in the army or police. But since the govt is so concern about the aging population and health care. Put the ladies to serve the nation in those areas. Since we have problem getting enough voluteers or even staffing at the homes...etc. Those too are skills and effort that goes to helping our own Singaporean. Especially Singaporean who have contributed their earlier life helping to make Singapore what it is ...some form of paying them back in their old age would do some good. And maybe cultivate some humanity and give them a better sense of purpose just like we guys have been all these years.
    Last edited by sammy888; 8th September 2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    But if there is a possibility it would be good don't you think?

Especially true to get those with that maid loving, 5Cs or Paris Hilton mentality to eat some humble pie.

I had been thinking about something like this for sometime now. Fine it might not be in the army or police. But since the govt is so concern about the aging population and health care. Put the ladies to serve the nation in those areas. Since we have problem getting enough voluteers or even staffing at the homes...etc. Those too are skills and effort that goes to helping our own Singaporean. Especially Singaporean who have contributed their earlier life helping to make Singapore what it is ...some form of paying them back in their old age would do some good. And maybe cultivate some humanity and give them a better sense of purpose just like we guys have been all these years.
    The govt dun wanna spend more on the girls. All this NS cost $$$ and the reason why they're doing it is for protection of the nation. They dun care if u learn or gain life skills.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    The govt dun wanna spend more on the girls. All this NS cost $$$ and the reason why they're doing it is for protection of the nation. They dun care if u learn or gain life skills.
    hee hee, maybe they can have a replacement scheme.

"Every man shall serve NS, unless he can find a female replacement counterpart"

then i can ask my sister to go. she's mad about army.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    You mean "specific" life skill heheheheh...... Defensive is also a life skill leh.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Correction to sentence structure. Ladies are not like us!

Ladies should do national service, just like us!
    you wan to pay more taxes?

Defence budget already quite a big proportion of our budget.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Well, I did'nt like my active days, did'nt like the slackers regulars who dumped all the chores to active NSF & just gambled/idled then pretended to work when superiors are around. I had two regular MTNCO CPLs who went on an orientation drive with two new drivers & pretended the vehicles broke down. They called back the camps for another two regular VE/VM CPLs for vehicle recovery. But in fact they went to Parkway Parade for shopping the whole afternoon. Camp was in Choa Chu Kang, dunno go to Parkway Parade orientate what?

Now my reservist training all are reservists, don't finish training/work, all cannot go back, everybody chip in. Of course you still get the typical eye-supervision commanders once in a while, but overall the men are still very cooperative. really different experience from active time.

Yes NS is important whether one likes it or not.

Women can serve NS as nurses in hospitals. they can learn nursing skills which are also very useful in civilian lives & reduce the shortage of nurses in the hospitals.

NS is for the good of the country and nation.

there's no 2 ways abt it.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Actually, there are some areas or jobs in the SAF/Police/SCDF women can contribute by doing their NS, not necessary must be combat vocations, but of course, if any do volunteer for the combat vocations, I'm sure they are welcome too, since there are already females servicemen in various combat vocations like Guards, Infantry, Artillery, Pilots, Air Defence etc etc.

The female NS can always take up jobs like:

1. Medics in Medical Center (sure got more people report sick every day )
    2. Admin Officers/Clerical staffs (This will be the biggest proportion)
    3. Store I/C
    4. Vehicle mechanic (though not sure how many ladies actually interested in this but it's a skill)
    5. Other technical stuff like IT, comms, signal.
    6. Security/Police departments

Then SAF/Police/SCDF can better utlise the NS boys for other vocations to do other stuffs.

The girls in Israel does do their part by serving 2 years NS also, many of them also goes into combat vocations.

Girl PTI also can, SOC pass rate sure shoot up, suddenly everybody's looking forward to SOC

Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    since there are already females servicemen in various combat vocations like Guards, Infantry, Artillery, Pilots, Air Defence etc etc.
    I'm quite surprise to see Air Defence in this chat. Bcos alot of people doesn't know about Air Defence, not even the word Air Defence.

For those who don't believe in doing National Service for your own country. Think twice, will you leave your door unlock and open at night when you sleep waiting for your neighbours or others to come in and invade? Having NS is just like putting a lock on your door telling others its not that easy to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by glay78 View Post
    I'm quite surprise to see Air Defence in this chat. Bcos alot of people doesn't know about Air Defence, not even the word Air Defence.

For those who don't believe in doing National Service for your own country. Think twice, will you leave your door unlock and open at night when you sleep waiting for your neighbours or others to come in and invade? Having NS is just like putting a lock on your door telling others its not that easy to come in.
    just that the lock is quite easily forced opened. but then again, it is the pure presence of the lock that drives them away. if they really want to pry open the lock, we can't do much too.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    just that the lock is quite easily forced opened. but then again, it is the pure presence of the lock that drives them away. if they really want to pry open the lock, we can't do much too.
    If you enter a fight thinking you'll lose, you'll lose. If you think you'll win, at least there's a chance you'll win.

There is no need to think too lowly of ourselves. Our neighbours' fighting forces will have their fair shares of loafers, blur sotongs, topo kings, bobo shooters etc. If you look at the number of cokups in their civil services, I won't be surprised if similar cases are happening in their military. I suspect long teabreaks, slacking, corruptions are the norms. The grass is not always greener at the other side!

We should not underestimate our enemies but we should be confident that we can win any fight with our neighbours if a fight should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlyone View Post
    If you enter a fight thinking you'll lose, you'll lose. If you think you'll win, at least there's a chance you'll win.

There is no need to think too lowly of ourselves. Our neighbours' fighting forces will have their fair shares of loafers, blur sotongs, topo kings, bobo shooters etc. If you look at the number of cokups in their civil services, I won't be surprised if similar cases are happening in their military. I suspect long teabreaks, slacking, corruptions are the norms. The grass is not always greener at the other side!

We should not underestimate our enemies but we should be confident that we can win any fight with our neighbours if a fight should happen.
    tink you dunnoe wat you are posting.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    You haven't seen much yet bro...and from what u said being excuse arms these and that shows your attitude towards NS. I think our national education needs to focus on certain group of people still

Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    Actually, there are some areas or jobs in the SAF/Police/SCDF women can contribute by doing their NS, not necessary must be combat vocations, but of course, if any do volunteer for the combat vocations, I'm sure they are welcome too, since there are already females servicemen in various combat vocations like Guards, Infantry, Artillery, Pilots, Air Defence etc etc.

The female NS can always take up jobs like:

1. Medics in Medical Center (sure got more people report sick every day )
    2. Admin Officers/Clerical staffs (This will be the biggest proportion)
    3. Store I/C
    4. Vehicle mechanic (though not sure how many ladies actually interested in this but it's a skill)
    5. Other technical stuff like IT, comms, signal.
    6. Security/Police departments

Then SAF/Police/SCDF can better utlise the NS boys for other vocations to do other stuffs.

The girls in Israel does do their part by serving 2 years NS also, many of them also goes into combat vocations.
    Got woman navy diver officer also.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    tink you dunnoe wat you are posting.

Quote Originally Posted by glay78 View Post

Well, by this term "Air Defence", I'm actually referring to those group of men and women that are involved in the Air Defence Artillery (ADA) vocations, I don't just mean in term of fighting in the air or defending our air space from the air.

Having served in the SAF/Air Force for 25 years now and still have many years to go before retirement, I do believes that NS is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Got woman navy diver officer also.
    Ya, I'm fully aware of this, just that since I'm not too familiar with Navy's vocations term or name, thus I didn't really mentioned about them, but I do know the Navy do have many servicewomen also, and many of which are combat vocations.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast