Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    You will know the answer when our neighbours need something to tai-chi.
    Absolutely agreed.

You will know the answer when the foreign officials banned sand export to Singapore ONLY but not to others.

You will know the answer when one president called you a little red dot.

You will know the answer when one Prime Minister kept changing his mind about bi-laterial ties and agreement with Singapore.

You will know the answer when the same Prime Minister said there are many ways to skin a cat.

You will know the answer when a foreign government accusing us for spying on their top secret telephone conversations and accused us for breaking their laws.

You will know the answer when foreign official claimed that our reclaimed land destroys their marine eco life system while they are pumping chemical waste into the sea.

You will know the answer when you go through the NS yourself.

You will know the answer when you read up how Japan invaded Singapore and you will know the answer when you find out that we can't depends on others to defence us.

You will know the answer when you read how Iraq had invade Kuwait in the early 90s.

You will know the answer when you remember how Bali and Jakatar was attacked by terrorist suicide bombers. You will know the answer when you realised war is actually is not too far away from our door.

You will know the answer when you understand that we can't take peace for granted, war can happen any time, it had happened in the recent years in the Mid/West-Asia, and Middle East, it can also happens to us.

Peace is not permanent.

The very peace you enjoyed now was the result of hundreds of thousands and many lives of dedicated men and women that had contributed to the defence of this country over the years.

Peace does not happen just like that nor come naturally.

to me, i think there isn't a need to hav NS... pure waste of my precious time, childhood, lower my chances of havin a kid

well it wouldnt be so bad ........if everybody goes throught the same sh*t. So many downgrade personnel, so many "on reserve list", all these lucky chaps no need serve reservist.....no need to explain to employers on having to leave early for RT instead of OTing with the team.....blardy hell....employers love them.
    When govt incentives like shares and bonus are given out , they also get it.

Then poor us , need to fruss over how to make logistics arrangement for family and kids when kena called up for 1-mth type reservist.....bother other colleagues to cover for us....risk getting ourselves injured(sometimes permanently) during training.....

Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    well it wouldnt be so bad ........if everybody goes throught the same sh*t. So many downgrade personnel, so many "on reserve list", all these lucky chaps no need serve reservist.....no need to explain to employers on having to leave early for RT instead of OTing with the team.....blardy hell....employers love them.
    When govt incentives like shares and bonus are given out , they also get it.

Then poor us , need to fruss over how to make logistics arrangement for family and kids when kena called up for 1-mth type reservist.....bother other colleagues to cover for us....risk getting ourselves injured(sometimes permanently) during training.....
    Now now, there's no need to compare yourself with the irresponsible.

You can be proud of what you are able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    to me, i think there isn't a need to hav NS... pure waste of my precious time, childhood, lower my chances of havin a kid
    wat hav you been doin sence sec sch till ns.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Childhood?

From the Black album...

To secure peace is,
    to prepare for WAR!

compro, sounds lik you work with radars

to think of it, having NS is to protect and defend the country.

but with almost all males in the country in it's relatively small army, this same fighting force wont last long in war.

so, at the end of the day, fight war also will lose.

waste time, isn't it? =)

Ladies, like us, should do national service as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    waste time, isn't it? =)

At least people will say....you put up a good fight.
    rather than raise both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Ladies, like us, should do national service as well!
    yeah. give us more motivation too.

Of course it is necessary ! I think any rational male would understand the importance of NS. The issue I think most people are unhappy about is the process of serving NS and subsequently ICTs.

Why do u think our govt keep sending our serviceman overseas for missions ? There are good reasons which I think is for the good of the nation. Whether we like it or not is a different issue.

but with almost all males in the country in it's relatively small army, this same fighting force wont last long in war.

waste time, isn't it? =)
    this is like saying ''since you'll die one day why don't you just die now?''

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Enlisted Act started in 1971... over the years, many young men had gone thru it...

So the question is "Is NS necessary?"

Assuming an average working life of 30 years, 2 to 2.5 years spent in NS for a pittance. It is a pseudo-tax of ~6.6 to 8.3% of useful lifespan, not including reservist obligations.
    Of course it is necessary. NS helps to keep taxes low, so that Singapore can call itself a low-tax regime.

For those people who are about to enter NS or currently serving NS may feel that it is somewhat a waste of time, particularly if they are not involved in the more robust aspects of the NS training or are slackers.
    Those NSF guys who are still serving their reservist years or have become family men will mostly come around and believe that the NS is good and necessary.

If you go into NS with a +ve attitude, you can learn many useful skills as well as build resilience and character.

People who have traveled widely and have seen the human miseries in all these places will greatly appreciate the value of a clean/hardworking government, a healthy respect for the environment and strong resolute citizens to defend it without fear or reservations.

Girls for NS - I absolutely support it. 1 year is reasonable I think.

I also think former president Habibie should be awarded a medal for calling Singapore the "Little Red Dot". This single phase has done more to rally the citizens and NS then anything our PR people have done.

waste time, isn't it? =)
    Widen your perspective. NS serves as a deterrent to the rest. Would they think twice before striking a country without defenders??

waste time, isn't it? =)
    Well, to some extend, I agreed with you, we might not last very long if there is a war break up, but at least, before someone can take our land and destroy our home and loved one, they will also suffer some bites. And we had put up a good fight instead of just give up and surrender.

waste time, isn't it? =)
    I would rather die fighting than die doing nothing. That said, I am proud to serve my NS eventhough I served in the police force.

Quote Originally Posted by helmiz View Post
    I would rather die fighting than die doing nothing. That said, I am proud to serve my NS eventhough I served in the police force.
    alright man...

Frankly, I think you gain more and helped more being in the Police Force as you interact with the public. What you learned is applied direct in the present. Now I am not saying that it means we are better as we need every one to play some sort of defensive role be it for the present peace time or at a time where military intimidation from outside forces comes into play.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast