Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 914171819
Results 361 to 374 of 374

Thread: Is 'National Service' necessary?

  1. #361
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Town
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    I have faithfully served NS for a full cycle (13-yr) and will continue serving - until I cannot pass IPPT, LOL.

    Not only has the service keep me physically & mentally fit and disciplined, it also expanded my network and contacts. I must say that NS has contributed somewhat to my success if you view the experience positively.

    Like any other hardships, the way you view it, the attitude you adopt and the way you choose to overcome it will determine what type of person you will become. I used to be a rebellious 'pai kia' who skipped class and involved in fights. Nobody could discipline me except for the Army, and I'm forever grateful. Otherwise I can't imagine where I'll be today.

    Having said that, I will state that: I WILL die for my country and family, but I WILL NOT do so for whichever the ruling power. There's a difference there, and many who are disillusioned by how our country is run, also rejects how it should be defended. Sad fact.
    Canon EF prime, macro & L lenses on EOS30D

  2. #362

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antzzz View Post
    I have faithfully served NS for a full cycle (13-yr) and will continue serving - until I cannot pass IPPT, LOL.

    Not only has the service keep me physically & mentally fit and disciplined, it also expanded my network and contacts. I must say that NS has contributed somewhat to my success if you view the experience positively.

    Like any other hardships, the way you view it, the attitude you adopt and the way you choose to overcome it will determine what type of person you will become. I used to be a rebellious 'pai kia' who skipped class and involved in fights. Nobody could discipline me except for the Army, and I'm forever grateful. Otherwise I can't imagine where I'll be today.

    Having said that, I will state that: I WILL die for my country and family, but I WILL NOT do so for whichever the ruling power. There's a difference there, and many who are disillusioned by how our country is run, also rejects how it should be defended. Sad fact.
    Support
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  3. #363
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Hmm, yet another 180 degree change from your previous position. I think you should thumbs up yourself instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    U are right.

  4. #364
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antzzz View Post
    Having said that, I will state that: I WILL die for my country and family, but I WILL NOT do so for whichever the ruling power. There's a difference there, and many who are disillusioned by how our country is run, also rejects how it should be defended. Sad fact.
    Interesting...

    But how does one know if the war they are fighting is a just or unjust war?

    Nazi Germany for instance... how do the young Germans so gungho to die for their country even have any clues what their leaders asking them to die for their country is for a an evil cause? they all die for nothing!

    Most recently, Iraq war... it was based on half-truths or total lie? many "Pro US" countries voted in UN to support invading Iraq based on these proof of WMD? it would be interesting to see what proof was given by US to gain the support.

    Being able to think critically is key and having the courage to challenge decisions and able to ask tough questions and demanding clear answers, not accepting answers like maybe, could be, would be, should be... these are politician words.

    Like the saying goes, the first casualty in war is TRUTH.

    My 2 cents not about NS, but about how people need to think critically, so that future mishaps/misteps can be avoided.

    ../azul123

  5. #365

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Interesting...

    But how does one know if the war they are fighting is a just or unjust war?

    Nazi Germany for instance... how do the young Germans so gungho to die for their country even have any clues what their leaders asking them to die for their country is for a an evil cause? they all die for nothing!

    Most recently, Iraq war... it was based on half-truths or total lie? many "Pro US" countries voted in UN to support invading Iraq based on these proof of WMD? it would be interesting to see what proof was given by US to gain the support.

    Being able to think critically is key and having the courage to challenge decisions and able to ask tough questions and demanding clear answers, not accepting answers like maybe, could be, would be, should be... these are politician words.

    Like the saying goes, the first casualty in war is TRUTH.

    My 2 cents not about NS, but about how people need to think critically, so that future mishaps/misteps can be avoided.

    ../azul123
    Good one there.

    The first casualty in politics is Truth, never mind war. Guess that's why they can brainwash people in killing & getting killed for "national interests" - whatever that means...
    hasta la justicia siempre

  6. #366

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Interesting...

    But how does one know if the war they are fighting is a just or unjust war?

    Nazi Germany for instance... how do the young Germans so gungho to die for their country even have any clues what their leaders asking them to die for their country is for a an evil cause? they all die for nothing!

    Most recently, Iraq war... it was based on half-truths or total lie? many "Pro US" countries voted in UN to support invading Iraq based on these proof of WMD? it would be interesting to see what proof was given by US to gain the support.

    Being able to think critically is key and having the courage to challenge decisions and able to ask tough questions and demanding clear answers, not accepting answers like maybe, could be, would be, should be... these are politician words.

    Like the saying goes, the first casualty in war is TRUTH.

    My 2 cents not about NS, but about how people need to think critically, so that future mishaps/misteps can be avoided.

    ../azul123
    U are right.

    Think critically and also positively. Why make life miserable when it is within your control(mindset).

  7. #367

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hmm, yet another 180 degree change from your previous position. I think you should thumbs up yourself instead.
    Thank you for your compliment.

    You have the right to think what you like!

  8. #368

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antzzz View Post
    I have faithfully served NS for a full cycle (13-yr) and will continue serving - until I cannot pass IPPT, LOL.

    Not only has the service keep me physically & mentally fit and disciplined, it also expanded my network and contacts. I must say that NS has contributed somewhat to my success if you view the experience positively.

    Like any other hardships, the way you view it, the attitude you adopt and the way you choose to overcome it will determine what type of person you will become. I used to be a rebellious 'pai kia' who skipped class and involved in fights. Nobody could discipline me except for the Army, and I'm forever grateful. Otherwise I can't imagine where I'll be today.

    Having said that, I will state that: I WILL die for my country and family, but I WILL NOT do so for whichever the ruling power. There's a difference there, and many who are disillusioned by how our country is run, also rejects how it should be defended. Sad fact.
    I was like many of us here who dislike NS. But later realise the important of such measure.

    There is price to pay for everything you do. But NS worth all the sacrifices and cent invested. However, sad to say, many of us also encountered bad experiences(reserved not to elaborate) while serving NS. Much has been done and I believe that there is still room for improvement.

    I am about to close the thread, but before doing it I would like to thank vince123123,drakon09,Satay16,Stratix,foxwagon, Bored Dad, night86mare,Kalas,snowspeeder,Cheesecake,dkw,lovel is19,glay78,compro1975,sORe EyEz,yanyewkay,Hobbesyeo,Aqillies,airfins,ekin,CYR N,Xiao Shin, Zplus,afbug,zac08,raptor1988 and many others CSs who had contributed their time in giving their opinions and reading the thread.

    I also take this opportunity to apologise to all for whatever I had done to raise your blood pressure.

    You will have the liberty to post anything you want but please do them within the framework of Clubsnap.

    The thread will be closed by 10am on 26 Nov 2007.

  9. #369
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    I'm find it mystifying that you see it as a compliment, but what I do compliment you on is your ability to see anything negative into positives.

    Everyone has the right to think what they like - you also have that right, so do I, as do anyone else in the forum!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Thank you for your compliment.

    You have the right to think what you like!

  10. #370
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    ??, said something but decided to withdraw it? there's a delete post button for that though.

    Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    edit.

  11. #371

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Well, just to add my 2 cents. My personal take is Yes. Firstly, Is there a need to have National Service? What is so neccessary about it? Our forces are primarily for defense rather than offense. So what are we defending against and is there a need to defend against these threats?
    There are not many countries that have National Service. Taiwan, Israel and even Switzerland. These countries share similarities with Singapore. It is an open secret that we share close ties with these countries. Like them, our geo-political terrain consist of friends who can easily turn to foe. At this very moment, a legal battle is ensuing over Pedra Branca. Just hypothetically, what if we win the case and our neighbors reacts negatively? Will you not defend your nation then?

  12. #372

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonchann View Post
    Well, just to add my 2 cents. My personal take is Yes. Firstly, Is there a need to have National Service? What is so neccessary about it? Our forces are primarily for defense rather than offense. So what are we defending against and is there a need to defend against these threats?
    There are not many countries that have National Service. Taiwan, Israel and even Switzerland. These countries share similarities with Singapore. It is an open secret that we share close ties with these countries. Like them, our geo-political terrain consist of friends who can easily turn to foe. At this very moment, a legal battle is ensuing over Pedra Branca. Just hypothetically, what if we win the case and our neighbors reacts negatively? Will you not defend your nation then?

    Call me selfish.
    But i'm not prepare to be a chess piece for political leader.

  13. #373

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    Call me selfish.
    But i'm not prepare to be a chess piece for political leader.
    What you,ve have just said had disappointed me.....We defend our land, our home, our way of life, nothing to do with the Leaders. If they ask us to go on offensive without a good reason then thats another case. As stated, NS is for the defends of our country.

    Actually we don't need your opinion now as you are still not eligible to sever our Nation yet. Go tell MINDEF you don't want to serve when your time is up, you got a choice. Its just a few years in the DB only. I respect your principle, after serving your time in DB then you are out to be a hero again. There are people who stick by their beliefs and rather go DB then NS, I too respect their decision too. Action not words.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  14. #374

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    Call me selfish.
    But i'm not prepare to be a chess piece for political leader.
    Despite of the repeated warnings, you leave me with no choice but to ban you.

    I have mentioned this again and again. Please respect the guidelines we set for this forum. And we have our reasons for it. I am sick of repeating. Anyone who is unclear, please go read the Guidelines sticky thread and http://forum.clubsnap.org/showpost.p...07&postcount=9

    Thread is closed.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 914171819

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •