Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81316171819 LastLast

Thread: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    NS is fun. you get to see people chao geng everyday. and those with bad acting skills really brightens up my day, esp those faking mental disorders.
    Good experience. I had seen one and he was sent to Woodbridge Hospital. In the end, he asked to be released from the hospital as 'If you enter there as a normal(faking mental disorder..), and you may be re-admitted after you had been released..

assuming u r serious, u r trained,
    but u see beetle baileys around u,
    how would u feel?

i took my ns seriously,
    serious enough that thru out the 30mths,
    i took only 3days mc,
    sick bay some more
    but i feel terrible most of the time.
    my buddies most of the time r my buddies,
    but not someone that i would fight along side.

btw, the naval battle with japan happens before the generalissmo's time.

jude
    ps- nice to know someone like u,
    perhaps my feeling about ns might be different if u were my buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    I would assume that both had gone thru NS. One is trained(not to bully) and the other 'Ken Ka Liao'.

If you take NS seriously, than you may be able to handle the situation better.

China has the number but not trained(No NS) and not discipline. They were busy fighting among themselves and they gave priority to their internal thread not until one army general kidnapped Chiang Kai Sek....

To be honest,i don't see a very bright future in the average joe in singapore the way singapore is being governed.
    Have we asked ourselves the purpose of "NATIONAL" service?
    Isn't National service a patriotic act towards the country?
    Currenty,i don't see many people being proud to be a singaporean.
    There u have the increasing migrants,spiraling birth rates and absurd policies.

If there is a war,would the people take up arms for their love ones or for the state?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    To be honest,i don't see a very bright future in the average joe in singapore the way singapore is being governed.

If there is a war,would the people take up arms for their love ones or for the state?

Oh I don't know...

Singaporeans prefers to be indentured?

Your usual guy on the street doesn't fight for the country - it's beyond them - it's beyond you (assuming you are your usual guy on the street), for example.

You fight for the bugger next to you (he being is a proxy for your loved ones) - because if he dies, you're probably next.

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Oh I don't know...

Singaporeans prefers to be indentured?

Your usual guy on the street doesn't fight for the country - it's beyond them - it's beyond you (assuming you are your usual guy on the street), for example.

You fight for the bugger next to you (he being is a proxy for your loved ones) - because if he dies, you're probably next.

Maybe but..
    If singaporean no longer feel a sense of belonging within the nation then the essence of NATIONAL service has already lost it's intended meaning already,haven't it?
    Yes,the people might take up arms,but for who?
    the people in power or to save their love ones.
    Because even wth national service abolish,we can be sure that people will take up arms in times of turmoil..to protect what they cherish and not the one in power.

Maybe but..
    If singaporean no longer feel a sense of belonging within the nation then the essence of NATIONAL service has already lost it's intended meaning already,haven't it?
    Yes,the people might take up arms,but for who?
    the people in power or to save their love ones.
    Because even wth national service abolish,we can be sure that people will take up arms in times of turmoil..to protect what they cherish and not the one in power.
    Think of NS as training then, how can one fight without knowing where to face the claymore mine?

We work on figure. Quoting something wo data is tentamount to 'deframation'.

There is never a nation with their citizens agreeing to all what the governing body does or implement. But if it benefits the majority, why not?

Have you been to a National Day celebration at the stadium? The feeling of togetherness is strong although it does not necessarily mean patriotism.

Our nation is young as compare to many. China has 5000 years and we are only.. since 1965. We need time to built a Nation. The first step must be taken.

When you said "Currenty,i don't see many people being proud to be a singaporean." What % are you talking about?

When you said " There u have the increasing migrants,spiraling birth rates and absurd policies." Again what is the comparision between leaving and those applying to be Singaporean? What cause the spiraling birth rates? Which policies are absurd? And what would suggest to improve the situation?

You also said "To be honest,i don't see a very bright future in the average joe in singapore the way singapore is being governed." What make you think that? So where is a better place to go to?

"If there is a war,would the people take up arms for their love ones or for the state?" My answer is both. If everybody fight for their love ones, the state is saved and if everybody fight for the state, their love ones are protected.

Ask yourself these questions.

Do you call yourself Singaporean when you go travelling?
    Do you tell people that you are from Singapore when you are overseas and what is the normal reaction?
    Do you feel good when you meet a fellowman when you are overseas?
    Do you think life in Singapore is better than many countries when you are overseas?
    Have you ever watch soccer match between our national team vs ...and when Singapore made a score what is your feeling?

Maybe we should start a poll on these.

There is never a nation with their citizens agreeing to all what the governing body does or implement. But if it benefits the majority, why not?

Have you been to a National Day celebration at the stadium? The feeling of togetherness is strong although it does not necessarily mean patriotism.

Our nation is young as compare to many. China has 5000 years and we are only.. since 1965. We need time to built a Nation. The first step must be taken.

When you said "Currenty,i don't see many people being proud to be a singaporean." What % are you talking about?

When you said " There u have the increasing migrants,spiraling birth rates and absurd policies." Again what is the comparision between leaving and those applying to be Singaporean? What cause the spiraling birth rates? Which policies are absurd? And what would suggest to improve the situation?

You also said "To be honest,i don't see a very bright future in the average joe in singapore the way singapore is being governed." What make you think that? So where is a better place to go to?

"If there is a war,would the people take up arms for their love ones or for the state?" My answer is both. If everybody fight for their love ones, the state is saved and if everybody fight for the state, their love ones are protected.

Do you tell people that you are from Singapore when you are overseas and what is the normal reaction?
    Do you think life in Singapore is better than many countries when you are overseas?
    Have you ever watch soccer match between our national team vs ...and when Singapore made a score what is your feeling?

Does the recent election counts?
    There almost close to 50% of the singaporean leaning towards the opposition party.

I'm not implying that singaporean will not take up arms,in fact i said they will.
    But for what purpose,it's all stated.
    My answer is not absolute but this is how i see it.
    There's too much issues resulting in unhappy singaporean.
    To all your question,my reply would be yes but how is it regarded to national service?
    Fighting for the love ones in our country does not equate to the soldier's will to fight for the one's in power.
    do u see the difference?

My statement "not many are proud to be a singaporean" had been insensitive.
    It should not be there.
    Last edited by Aqillies; 22nd November 2007 at 09:57 AM.

I got this colleague who decided not to defend Singapore when the time comes....his reason :

Once he was driving on the road and seriously needs to change lane to the left when he got block off by another driver and he miss his exit. He was force to stop at a red light after he miss his exit and was stopping just behind that ******* who blocked his path. That ******* gave him a "Oh thats too bad" kind of expression.

He wonder to himself why should he defend such *******s....

vince123123
    Guests

1. Who is being defamed even if Aqilies "quote something wo data"?

2. Which "something" are you referring to and which "data" is not being provided?

3. Have you ever been to a live concert of a popular singer/artiste?

4. On your comment "So where is a better place to go to?", he didn't say that other places are better or a suggestion go another place, why do you read that into his comment?

5. As for your questions on travellling and people ask, you can't very well be saying "I'm a citizen of a country I dont like, so I'm not telling you". Besides, citizenship is merely a factual status - stating one's citizenship does not given any opinion on whether one likes or hates being a citizen.

6. As for feeling good when meeting another countryman, if one feels good meeting a countryman, it will not matter if one is a Singaporean, or Malaysian, or Japanese, or American. I'm not sure what this question is supposed to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by leumas01 View Post
    I got this colleague who decided not to defend Singapore when the time comes....his reason :

Once he was driving on the road and seriously needs to change lane to the left when he got block off by another driver and he miss his exit. He was force to stop at a red light after he miss his exit and was stopping just behind that ******* who blocked his path. That ******* gave him a "Oh thats too bad" kind of expression.

He might not defend such ******* but nevertheless,u can be sure he will take up arms..not for that ******* nor to protect the ones in power or maybe he will..but u can be sure he will for the sake of his love ones.
    Last edited by Aqillies; 22nd November 2007 at 10:05 AM.

seriously, if there's a war, there's really no where to run being in a small island state. so its either we take up arms or become sitting ducks

There almost close to 50% of the singaporean leaning towards the opposition party.

I'm not implying that singaporean will not take up arms,in fact i said they will.
    To all your question,my reply would be yes but how is it regarded to national service?
    Fighting for the love ones in our country does not equate to the soldier's will to fight for the one's in power.
    do u see the difference?

It should not be there.
    The 6 May 2006 Polling result was a common sign expected in every election. It showed that nobody can satisfy all. However, I repeat, as long as the majority benefit, why not.

'Much' to the majority or 'Much' to the minority? There will never be a policy that makes everybody happy.

I would not like to comment on the 'one's in power' as it is beyong the scope and I don't think the thread allows us to discuss 'one's in power'. And sorry, I can only see an individual and a nation as a whole.

When we are overseas and when we call ourselves Singaporean, I assume that we will take up arms and defence ourselves and our land. And NS give the edge in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by leumas01 View Post

Just this incident and your friend decided to not to defend Singapore? So if and when Singapore fall(......phui.. phui ...phui..) your friend is prepared to be a POW?

Quote Originally Posted by BernZ View Post
    seriously, if there's a war, there's really no where to run being in a small island state. so its either we take up arms or become sitting ducks
    U are right!!!!!

Shoot and when you kill one, you are equal. If you manage to get 2 or more it is a bonus.

And don't forget, we don't have to engage them in our homeland!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post

2. Which "something" are you referring to and which "data" is not being provided?

4. On your comment "So where is a better place to go to?", he didn't say that other places are better or a suggestion go another place, why do you read that into his comment?

5. As for your questions on travellling and people ask, you can't very well be saying "I'm a citizen of a country I dont like, so I'm not telling you". Besides, citizenship is merely a factual status - stating one's citizenship does not given any opinion on whether one likes or hates being a citizen.

6. As for feeling good when meeting another countryman, if one feels good meeting a countryman, it will not matter if one is a Singaporean, or Malaysian, or Japanese, or American. I'm not sure what this question is supposed to convey.

U may wish to refer to the Aqilies's posting for the answers.

vince123123
    Guests

Nope, no answers there. The questions are made to your comments, not his.

U may wish to refer to the Aqilies's posting for the answers.

Nope, no answers there. The questions are made to your comments, not his.
    Refer to #348. I would not like to repeat what had been said.

vince123123
    Guests

Interesting, I asked you questions on your post, and you ask me to look at another person's answers.

Just to reiterate:

And now his post at #348:

do u see the difference?

It should not be there.
    I don't see any answers there, and even if they coincidentally happen to be on the same subject matter as my questions, I don't see why I should look to person A's post for answers to a question that I'm asking B on.

Interesting, I asked you questions on your post, and you ask me to look at another person's answers.

Just to reiterate:

And now his post at #348:

I don't see any answers there, and even if they coincidentally happen to be on the same subject matter as my questions, I don't see why I should look to person A's post for answers to a question that I'm asking B on.
    U are right.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81316171819 LastLast