Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 374

Thread: Is 'National Service' necessary?

  1. #221

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Anybody out there would like to post some of the phto U had taken during NS??

    Good place to show your ware!

  2. #222

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    err .. can take, but cannot show in public, for private collection. thats what i was informed when they let me take some pix ...

  3. #223

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Was having supper the other night with two engineers from Asian countries. One of their foreign friends was moving to Malaysia as that guy didnt want the sons, one 14, one 11, to do NS. Then these two of them started to say how army was a waste of time to Singaporeans, how it would affect the studies of the males, how by having army allowance (hence money to spend) they wouldnt want to study anymore, how the females could have a two year head start than the males, how it is not democratic to force all the Singaporean males to serve NS unwillingly, that it would be enough to have a small army (they meant willing Regulars) than having all males to serve blah blah blah.

    Just told them, it's not something you understand or accept, even if explained to you.

  4. #224

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Was having supper the other night with two engineers from Asian countries. One of their foreign friends was moving to Malaysia as that guy didnt want the sons, one 14, one 11, to do NS. Then these two of them started to say how army was a waste of time to Singaporeans, how it would affect the studies of the males, how by having army allowance (hence money to spend) they wouldnt want to study anymore, how the females could have a two year head start than the males, how it is not democratic to force all the Singaporean males to serve NS unwillingly, that it would be enough to have a small army (they meant willing Regulars) than having all males to serve blah blah blah.

    Just told them, it's not something you understand or accept, even if explained to you.
    Simple.. I would tell them that they are only welcomed to Singapore as Tourists.

    I think it is alright for a foreigner to think this way. But sad to say, some Singaporeans also think likewise.

  5. #225
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Was having supper the other night with two engineers from Asian countries. One of their foreign friends was moving to Malaysia as that guy didnt want the sons, one 14, one 11, to do NS. Then these two of them started to say how army was a waste of time to Singaporeans, how it would affect the studies of the males, how by having army allowance (hence money to spend) they wouldnt want to study anymore, how the females could have a two year head start than the males, how it is not democratic to force all the Singaporean males to serve NS unwillingly, that it would be enough to have a small army (they meant willing Regulars) than having all males to serve blah blah blah.

    Just told them, it's not something you understand or accept, even if explained to you.
    Tell them not to migrate to S.Korea, Sweden, Israel, Finland, Germany etc..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  6. #226

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Tell them not to migrate to S.Korea, Sweden, Israel, Finland, Germany etc..
    no. tell them to send their children here. let moe give them scholarships, give them grants, give them lodging, give them allowance, give them all they need......... then when they finished jc, just laugh off about NS and study uni somewhere else, graduate somewhere else, and contribute to gdp figures somewhere else.

    NS is necessary because we mustn't let the economy boom anymore. we must have a charitable mindset to spend money on them to contribute somewhere else.

    NS is necessary because guys must be trained tough to face the real world, like how to professionally produce certain certificates, being on the pyschologically positive side of superiors, and not to question superiors.

    NS is necessary because to protect from our neighbours. malaysia, indonesia, etc etc etc are extremely extremely frightened of our supreme military might. they piss in their gents whenever singapore is mentioned, like a tiger running away in horror at the sight of a mouse.

    NS is necessary because wonderful singaporeans are extremely willing to serve singapore in the economic sector. they are sooo willing to serve economically, that it is militarily lacking.

    NS is necessary, because all countries are dependent on the army, like a drug addict on heroin.

    NS is necessary, because no one tried making them unnecessary.

    NS is necessary, because most people say so.

    NS is necessary, because you can't escape it.

    Ns is necessary, because saying otherwise makes you a coward.

    NS is necessary, because others had served.

    NS is necessary, because aruging against it will only get you flamed.


    I totally support National Service. It is indeed vital to Singapore. I serve NS whole heartedly with pride and effort. Do you,? cos disagreement will only draw severe criticisms about your childish arguments and mindset............ beware............. *shivers*

  7. #227

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Tell them not to migrate to S.Korea, Sweden, Israel, Finland, Germany etc..
    or Taiwan, Greece.

    The other time I met a filthy rich PhD holder (UK Asian) on a course.
    Complaining how she 'lost' $70,000 bond when her son did'nt return to do NS.

    Migrate somewhere else lah!

  8. #228

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    I don't think the question is about whether NS is necessary. People who say it isn't probably doesn't care about Singapore or are not thinking deep enough about the consequences.

    I feel a question that will yield more thought provoking responses would be, What are some of the controversial stuffs you see in NS?

    For me, there are lots:

    1. Time wasting -- Waiting around don't know for what (isn't NS supposed to be efficient?) Happens even for reservists (NSmen)!!

    2. Call me back for NS to do silly stuffs. Now that I must say is a complete waste of my time, personal development and tax-payers' money. I don't mind if everyone has a fair share of doing productive stuffs but this is not the case.

    3. The amount of money they waste in NS. I won't list here cos it may be confidential. But see Point 3 and you get a good starting picture

    4. Over-hyped organization. Public sees the well-rehearsed readiness of our NS guys during NDay parades and all those events. they go Wow-wow. We read all those honey sweet words about NS from scholars in the papers. But, really?

    Ask any lower ranked NS and NSF guys (3SG and below) how things REALLY function, whoa, it can be a big world of differernce what you find in reality. Again, this may be confidential so I'm not saying much.

  9. #229

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Every year we complain about this, but never improve.

    In-Pro very fast, but

    Out-Pro very slow!

  10. #230

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Every year we complain about this, but never improve.

    In-Pro very fast, but
    Out-Pro very slow!

    Woah...damn true lor.
    Wonder whatz the feedback form used for in the 1st place??!!


  11. #231

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Woah...damn true lor.
    Wonder whatz the feedback form used for in the 1st place??!!

    For the clerks to hole punch & file only.
    Doubt if anyone takes the feedback form seriously.
    Before every Out-Pro, they also make sure one submits a WITS or Suggestion form, & a survey form.
    Also I think go through motion.

    But what the heck, I still like reservist - a good time to get away from work, hehe!
    Last edited by foxwagon; 21st October 2007 at 04:52 PM.

  12. #232

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    no. tell them to send their children here. let moe give them scholarships, give them grants, give them lodging, give them allowance, give them all they need......... then when they finished jc, just laugh off about NS and study uni somewhere else, graduate somewhere else, and contribute to gdp figures somewhere else.

    NS is necessary because we mustn't let the economy boom anymore. we must have a charitable mindset to spend money on them to contribute somewhere else.

    NS is necessary because guys must be trained tough to face the real world, like how to professionally produce certain certificates, being on the pyschologically positive side of superiors, and not to question superiors.

    NS is necessary because to protect from our neighbours. malaysia, indonesia, etc etc etc are extremely extremely frightened of our supreme military might. they piss in their gents whenever singapore is mentioned, like a tiger running away in horror at the sight of a mouse.

    NS is necessary because wonderful singaporeans are extremely willing to serve singapore in the economic sector. they are sooo willing to serve economically, that it is militarily lacking.

    NS is necessary, because all countries are dependent on the army, like a drug addict on heroin.

    NS is necessary, because no one tried making them unnecessary.

    NS is necessary, because most people say so.

    NS is necessary, because you can't escape it.

    Ns is necessary, because saying otherwise makes you a coward.

    NS is necessary, because others had served.

    NS is necessary, because aruging against it will only get you flamed.


    I totally support National Service. It is indeed vital to Singapore. I serve NS whole heartedly with pride and effort. Do you,? cos disagreement will only draw severe criticisms about your childish arguments and mindset............ beware............. *shivers*
    It is alright to disagree a if not the word 'Disagree' will never exist.

    Pse correct me if I am wrong... where on earth can we find a perfect system?

    Improvement is the key words and we need a lot of whistle blowers.. also ask ourself.. do we see improvements since?

    If we did something we think is right or when we do it whole heatedly, stand up for ourself.. do not fear of being told that we are childish, accept criticisms as it is the only way to improve.

    Be mindful but do not shiver.. why should we in the first place.

    Don't forget you are one of the digits that will carry a rifle and stand on this ground and fight.

    We are cowards? Do we call ourself cowards when we are receiving training to secure our future?

    You, like many of our men, young and old, are trained.. I repeat we are trained and we are ready..

    Last but not least.. if we do not have a stable and secure environment.. do you think investors will ever step on Singapore ground?

    ......Anybody would like to give an estimate as to the number trained? It is no secret!

  13. #233

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    or Taiwan, Greece.

    The other time I met a filthy rich PhD holder (UK Asian) on a course.
    Complaining how she 'lost' $70,000 bond when her son did'nt return to do NS.

    Migrate somewhere else lah!
    Serve her right.

  14. #234
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Not all men and specs have a negative experience.

    Some have and do still serve in appointments where it's more than just doing saikang and being marched around to do menial and trivial tasks.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  15. #235

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Not all men and specs have a negative experience.

    Some have and do still serve in appointments where it's more than just doing saikang and being marched around to do menial and trivial tasks.
    kudos to unit/units where NSmen do more than saikang n blah blah blah.

    i've ROD,
    n in my 30mths of active service,
    more than 10yrs in the reserved,
    i collected more than 10k in service n put in less than 1k in work.

    with more than 30k regulars, do we need conscripts?
    pple who loath the uniform?
    bad attitude? (like me)

    funny way to think if u feel wasting of resources is a must.

    jude

  16. #236

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalas View Post
    kudos to unit/units where NSmen do more than saikang n blah blah blah.

    i've ROD,
    n in my 30mths of active service,
    more than 10yrs in the reserved,
    i collected more than 10k in service n put in less than 1k in work.

    with more than 30k regulars, do we need conscripts?
    pple who loath the uniform?
    bad attitude? (like me)

    funny way to think if u feel wasting of resources is a must.

    jude
    Again the Chinese saying..."You feed the army for 100 days and use them only in a day"!

    So it is a waste?

    I think this happened everywhere especially in big organistion where it is impossible to control all areas. The question is the extend of the misuse or abuse? e.g Singapore is one of the the least corrupted countries in the world.. the key word is 'least' and not 'No'..

    You interprete.

  17. #237

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    For the clerks to hole punch & file only.
    Doubt if anyone takes the feedback form seriously.
    Before every Out-Pro, they also make sure one submits a WITS or Suggestion form, & a survey form.
    Also I think go through motion.

    But what the heck, I still like reservist - a good time to get away from work, hehe!
    So is it the problem of NS or is it the problem of poor supervision?

    Has it got to do with the system or has it got to do with people implementing the system?

    What will you do if you are given a quota to fullfill within a specific duration in a company?

    If you think of it... it is happening everywhere even in MNC. One very good example are drivers. They wait and wait and wait for thing to happen.. especially those CEO personnal drivers. They can wait for the whole evening doing nothing while the boss is entertaining his guests... so waste of time or paid to wait?

    As I said earlier, there is never a perfect system in the world.. please correct me if I am wrong.

    regards

  18. #238
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Lets say the army is very effective, wasting no time in everything with perfectly planned schedule and perfectly executed.

    We will be complaining,, wah lau no time to rest ah. damn shack ah,, how come so many things must do?

    Lets say we no need to serve army, we will still complain, how come our forces so weak, how can we fight if someone wants to conqeur us?

    System can be perfect.. but not humans and their thirst to satisfy their Wah Lau why like this

  19. #239

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    It is alright to disagree a if not the word 'Disagree' will never exist.

    Pse correct me if I am wrong... where on earth can we find a perfect system?
    no ah....... read me post carefully. NS is GREAT!!! it is PERFECT!!!! I LOVE NS!!! IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!!!! it is so perfect............. that it is necessary!!!! didn't you read the news? NS is GOOD!!!!!

    "where on earth can we find a perfect system?" the answer is NS!!! it's perfect!!! it's great!!! how can you say NS is not perfect?? NS is perfect!!! comeon, agree with me!!! NS is great!!! NS is GREAT!!!! NS is GREAT!!! muhahahahahahaha!!!!

  20. #240

    Default Re: Is 'National Service' necessary?

    ok, so it is deemed necessary, but lets face it the current system is a lot less then perfect. Maybe it is the way it is organised ... not sure ...

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •