Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is my rights?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: What is my rights?

I already know the position, I'm just giving a counterview to your position so that the TS and others can see the whole picture and not only half a picture that you presented.

I do not recall presenting any questions for you to answer in this thread so it's puzzling that you feel that questions are being posed to you.

By contrast, you posed lots of questions to me.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post

i'm not entertaining anymore of your questions vince123123, like i said, don't waste my time. if you want you go find out more yourself, i've said what i wanted to say.
    Last edited by vince123123; 6th September 2007 at 06:22 PM.

TS would do well to listen to vince, who has presented very good points especially about the video. Time stamping the video is meant to show that they have used the pic in question so they later cannot turn around and deny doing so after removing it. Bear in mind that you must thread carefully with any accussation that you intend to hurl especially since this is a government body in question. Do not do something stupid like posting the vid on youtube because that will blow the matter out of proportion and could land yourself in even hotter soup IF they eventually prove that its not your work.
    Last edited by garou12; 6th September 2007 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0ye View Post
    Alright, recently I found a photo I took, in which it is has picture of buildings, being used in the City Gallery at URA for its interactive presentation. I wasn't inform of it at all. I am not quite happy to see it being used without me being at least informed. So what is my rights regarding pictures I took with buildings as it's main subject?
    How sure are you that the picture belong to you and not someone happen to take the same picture. May be like the phrase, great man think alike, so great photographers think alike too.

Like catchlights mentioned, how they get your picture in the 1st place (post #6).

Until you are very very sure, before you approach them.

vince123123
    Guests

Ah someone who gets what I was trying to say in #7

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    TS would do well to listen to vince, who has presented very good points especially about the video. Time stamping the video is meant to show that they have used the pic in question so they later cannot turn around and deny doing so after removing it. Bear in mind that you must thread carefully with any accussation that you intend to hurl especially since this is a government body in question. Do not do something stupid like posting the vid on youtube because that will blow the matter out of proportion and could land yourself in even hotter soup IF they eventually prove that its not your work.

Alright la, don't sound like quarrelling lei... thanks for all the advice, I would take them all sincerely and think it over carefully... thanks thanks.

TS this might be of your interest: "Lawyers to give free legal advice at two CDCs"

Quote Originally Posted by kiama View Post
    TS this might be of your interest: "Lawyers to give free legal advice at two CDCs"
    excellent this is much better than getting daffy advices from make-believe lawyer wannabes.

vince123123
    Guests

Exactly, especially those make-believe lawyer wannabes that just just make bare assertions (which more often than not, turn out to be wrong) and are unable to back them up or able to substantiate his opinions with established references (which is no wonder since their initial opinions are shot off the hip without any firm basis int he first place).

Better yet, when cornered with substantive rebuttals to their initial position, they, having nothing better left to say, throw up their hands and say that they dont want to waste time arguing (when in fact, they probably realise that it is a lost cause).

I'm glad we are in agreement

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    excellent this is much better than getting daffy advices from make-believe lawyer wannabes.

Hi sha0ye,

Just being curious... did you submit those photos for URA competitions?

regards,
    KC

First thing first, before doing or going any further, think TS have to be absolute certain that it was his photo that was being used.

I mean that, couldn't be some possibility that another photographer might have taken the photo of the same scene and same position? Just need to look into the minor differences like lightings, people, cars, building lights etc etc, if there any visible to compare with.

Then perhaps, TS can send an email to URA as to how and where they have gotten the photo from, and identify himself as the original owner of the photo. But I do think that the way of phrasing and choice of words must be tactful and polite enough, making it sound like more a query tone instead of aggressive tone that demand for a payment or whatever.

If URA does reply and acknowledge as to where and how they had gotten the photo, then perhaps TS can then see what further action can be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by koolcat View Post
    Hi sha0ye,

Just being curious... did you submit those photos for URA competitions?

regards,
    KC
    probably, IIRC, some T&C competitions mention all entries submitted are belong to organizer, irregardless they are winners or not.
    if this is the case, time to re think whether ones still want to participle such competitions before read the T&C carefully.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

found it!

4.There is no limit on the number of entries which can be submitted by each participant. However, participants shall submit only ONE photographic print for each entry. All entries submitted will not be returned and shall become the property of URA without the need for payment of any fee or charge whatsoever.
    taken from here,

verdict: URA win, you lost.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    found it!

taken from here,

Didnt know the local gov have such practices.

I always thought government always have surplus to spend..

So where is the TS now?

Did the TS submit it at all?? What if someone else submitted the picture under another name, kinda reminds me of a similar situation....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    So where is the TS now?

Did the TS submit it at all?? What if someone else submitted the picture under another name, kinda reminds me of a similar situation....
    so he can sue the joker for a D3 and two lenses, btw, URA will stand aside and watch the show.

That's correct. If the image was submitted for a URA competition, and the T&Cs allowed for reproduction, then there's very little the TS can do, perhaps only insist on acknowledgement in collaterals, where physically feasible or possible.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

vince123123
    Guests

Actually, in the case where the "someone else" submitted the picture under another name, for discussion purposes, the TS can still sue URA for infringement.

URA will then seek an indemnity or follow-on sue the original "someone else".

That's what I think without having looked this up.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    So where is the TS now?

so he can sue the joker for a D3 and two lenses, btw, URA will stand aside and watch the show.

vince123123
    Guests

Reading that clause carefully, it says that one photographic PRINT submitted, and that PRINT becomes the property of URA.

It may not say that copyright in the work passes to URA, that's a different thing altogether.

I believe those "property of URA" clauses are intended to cut administrative load from participants who never win, and then ask the organiser "I want my print back".

found it!

taken from here,

Quote Originally Posted by XC Pictorial View Post
    Didnt know the local gov have such practices.

I always thought government always have surplus to spend..
    spend oso not spend on u or on these fotos.

since there're so many who WILLINGLY send their fotos in in the hope of winning some crappy prizes.

everythings' to their advantage and none so for the TS. tough luck!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Reading that clause carefully, it says that one photographic PRINT submitted, and that PRINT becomes the property of URA.

It may not say that copyright in the work passes to URA, that's a different thing altogether.

I believe those "property of URA" clauses are intended to cut administrative load from participants who never win, and then ask the organiser "I want my print back".
    this is playing with words. not sure if it is a mistake on their part.

if the TS wants to, he can file a civil suit against URA IF he thinks he has a case in hand.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast