Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we still need slr type of camera?

Default Re: Do we still need slr type of camera?

I agree the days of SLR may be limited.

See the predictions I made in 2004:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....2&postcount=27

There are already prototypes of non-SLR cameras with interchangeable lenses. I think Olympus announced them a few months ago. And if you want to talk about frames per second, Casio announced a 60 fps camera just a few days ago.

Who says you need an optical viewfinder to compose pictures? In fact, who says you need the LCD to compose pictures? Would really be nice to have a camera you can shoot from the hip, but with a wireless bluetooth viewfinder on a head-mounted or spectacle-mounted display. My old Nikon Coolpix 990 introduced me to the concept of composing and shooting from the hip. Really innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    tell me you can shoot handheld portraits with a live view lcd without handshake
    I can.

Live view LCD will probably eat your batteries much faster.

I think many of us have based the discussion on today technology, I believe all of us will agree that today technology cannot replace the optical view finder with electronic view finder (EVF).

Don't worry about battery, in time to come, battery will have very high capacity for the same today size. LCD? are we sure we will still use LCD for the EVF? So, don't worry about heat too.

Like Kongping mentioned (post #40) will we be still using still camera in the far future? And who need view finder then. Anyone remember the show CONTACT, the small video camera that was mounted on Jolie's head, what she see, the camera will record the same image. But for the show, it record static noise during her trip. In future, the resolution should be so high that every frame is higher than today HD quality. Memory is no longer solid state or magnetic (HDD), but using optical crystal (holographic recording).

Well before the day come in the far future, EVF will rule the still camera world for some period of time. Don't worry about EVF will fail, becos all electronic will fail. The more complicated the electronic, the easier it will fail. So, the other electronic in the camera will fail more than the EVF.

Oh, without the optical view finder, the "DSLR" will still have all the rest of the features. Very high end when compare to PnS
    Last edited by rvxing; 6th September 2007 at 07:46 PM.

Holographic imaging is far from reality. I do not even think that it will be remotely possible. In any case, still camera and video camera are distinctly different forms of art. Video camera has been around for years, but there is no sign of it replacing still camera.

Quote Originally Posted by kongping View Post
    Size and weight will be reduced for true portability, and still cameras will be a thing of the past, as far as journalism is concerned.
    for journalism maybe. but i'm not a photojournalist

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post
    I think many of us have based the discussion on today technology, I believe all of us will agree that today technology cannot replace the optical view finder with electronic view finder (EVF).

Don't worry about battery, in time to come, battery will have very high capacity for the same today size. LCD? are we sure we will still use LCD for the EVF? So, don't worry about heat too.

Like Kongping mentioned (post #40) will we be still using still camera in the far future? And who need view finder then. Anyone remember the show CONTACT, the small video camera that was mounted on Jolie's head, what she see, the camera will record the same image. But for the show, it record static noise during her trip. In future, the resolution should be so high that every frame is higher than today HD quality. Memory is no longer solid state or magnetic (HDD), but using optical crystal (holographic recording).

Well before the day come in the far future, EVF will rule the still camera world for some period of time. Don't worry about EVF will fail, becos all electronic will fail. The more complicated the electronic, the easier it will fail. So, the other electronic in the camera will fail more than the EVF.

Oh, without the optical view finder, the "DSLR" will still have all the rest of the features. Very high end when compare to PnS

It will not be called DSLR anymore.. because no reflex system. Maybe something in the line of Leica M8, Epson R-D1 but take out the optical rangefinder as well?

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    I can.
    that's very good, try use longer focal length lens and shoot closer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    It will not be called DSLR anymore.. because no reflex system. Maybe something in the line of Leica M8, Epson R-D1 but take out the optical rangefinder as well?
    So call it DSLP = Digital Single Lens Photography since no more reflex and no optical rangefinder. They may keep the shape for the so many controls and buttons, build in flash light, etc. With the reflex system taken out, there will be "a lot of space" for them to add other stuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post
    So call it DSLP = Digital Single Lens Photography since no more reflex and no optical rangefinder. They may keep the shape for the so many controls and buttons, build in flash light, etc. With the reflex system taken out, there will be "a lot of space" for them to add other stuffs.
    Hmm? Which camera does not use a single lens? You mean there are dual lens camera in the market?

But I seriously do hope that the single lens reflex technology will not phase out to give way to digital technology.

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    Hmm? Which camera does not use a single lens? You mean there are dual lens camera in the market?

But I seriously do hope that the single lens reflex technology will not phase out to give way to digital technology.
    heard about TLR? twin-lens reflex camera

However only one lens is involved in the image taking.

SLR also uses single lens, so when the reflex is gone, what should it be called?

Kodak V705 digital camera uses 2 lenses, but not SLR.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kodak_v705.asp
    Last edited by rvxing; 7th September 2007 at 02:05 PM.

the companies who will be pushing for these are probably the non mainstream dslr makers such as fuji, casio and kodak. rather than jumping into a competitive dslr field which would probably take them years to catch up.

Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Moving from a P&S to an SLR I hated having to use the viewfinder all the time. But it didn't take me long to realize that using the viewfinder actually encourages good technique, allowing better stability while shooting and the ability to frame and compose more precisely. Imagine how hard it would be to get the horizon straight in landscape photos with a heavier camera.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Wow! That is really double lens. Interesting design.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    Moving from a P&S to an SLR I hated having to use the viewfinder all the time. But it didn't take me long to realize that using the viewfinder actually encourages good technique, allowing better stability while shooting and the ability to frame and compose more precisely. Imagine how hard it would be to get the horizon straight in landscape photos with a heavier camera.
    On the contrary, I find it very odd to frame using the LCD. It makes me feel very detached from the camera, and the scene.

On the contrary, I find it very odd to frame using the LCD. It makes me feel very detached from the camera, and the scene.
    I don't think it is any more odd to look at an image on an LCD than to look at an image on a ground glass screen ...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    I don't think it is any more odd to look at an image on an LCD than to look at an image on a ground glass screen ...
    if the camera is tripod mounted, will not have any issues.

anyway, nobody is able to shoot view camera handheld with composing image from ground glass, if the photographer really can, how do he insert the film holder without moving the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if the camera is tripod mounted, will not have any issues.

anyway, nobody is able to shoot view camera handheld with composing image from ground glass, if the photographer really can, how do he insert the film holder without moving the camera?
    I'm not talking about view cameras. Standard SLRs/DSLRs use ground glass (or nowadays molded plastic) screens, too. So how does the handling of the camera change if you take the focusing screen out of an SLR and replace it with an electronic display panel?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast