Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Where's the best mooncakes ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member kenele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dover Cl East
    Posts
    1,999

    Default Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Hi, am getting some 10 boxes for friends of the delicious 'high end' type . Ar, do anyone know what's the actual date MCF so that I don't sent them after the actual date ???

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kenele View Post
    Hi, am getting some 10 boxes for friends of the delicious 'high end' type . Ar, do anyone know what's the actual date MCF so that I don't sent them after the actual date ???
    It's called Mid Autumn Festival.

    It's 15th day of the 8th Lunar Month which is 21 days from today.

    If you can afford, The Oriental is selling their mooncake at $888.00 for 8 small snow skin mooncake.

    If you can't afford, then any hotel mooncake will do.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    $888??? got diamond dust in it?

    My favourite all these years is the Raffles hotel champainge truffle mooncake. I always buy a couple of boxes for personal consumption

    dunno if they start selling already...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Every year around MCF, Ngee Ann City atrium got moon cake sale one. Just go for one round, try all the samples, then pick the best one lor.
    I like the Tung Lok white lotus ones
    Anyway, moon cakes packaging down here no fight with China one. Over there the packaging really tok kong, all kinds of incredibly fancy designs, and some come with cans of tea as well. I think some of the packaging is more expensive than the mooncakes inside. Good for gifts.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    My wife bought this one for me from Hong Kong:



    They are double egg yokes with white lotus.

    I took the photo before I ate it. To test my home-made ring flash for shadowless effect lah.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    My wife bought this one for me from Hong Kong:



    They are double egg yokes with white lotus.

    I took the photo before I ate it. To test my home-made ring flash for shadowless effect lah.
    still still see shadow..
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    still still see shadow..
    Send me a box of moon cakes. I'll test some more.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    $888??? got diamond dust in it?

    My favourite all these years is the Raffles hotel champainge truffle mooncake. I always buy a couple of boxes for personal consumption

    dunno if they start selling already...
    Raffles selling liao lar.............

    $888 because the champagne they are using cost $2,000 plus. Champagne mooncake.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    My wife bought this one for me from Hong Kong:



    They are double egg yokes with white lotus.

    I took the photo before I ate it. To test my home-made ring flash for shadowless effect lah.
    Got shadow lar. Show us your home made ring flash lar.........

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Send me a box of moon cakes. I'll test some more.
    gimme your address... i send u 1 box...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Got shadow lar. Show us your home made ring flash lar.........
    It's okay. I can live with the soft shadows which I need for my product shots.

    My ring flash is very big one. It's around 3 feet in diameter. I wish they make moon cakes this big.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    It's okay. I can live with the soft shadows which I need for my product shots.

    My ring flash is very big one. It's around 3 feet in diameter. I wish they make moon cakes this big.
    3ft = 3x12" = 36" x 25.4 = 914.4mm... almost 1 metre... wat u taking?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    3ft = 3x12" = 36" x 25.4 = 914.4mm... almost 1 metre... wat u taking?
    Giant mooncake made of styrofoam

    .... consume at your own risk!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    It's okay. I can live with the soft shadows which I need for my product shots.

    My ring flash is very big one. It's around 3 feet in diameter. I wish they make moon cakes this big.
    your ring the tubes using the normal fluorescent tubes?

    or need to custom make xenon tubes?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    The best one is the one my grandmother made.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    The best one is the one my grandmother made.
    She does MO???

  17. #17

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    The best one is the one my grandmother made.
    actually its simple to make....

    but u need time and effort and dedication to make a good mooncake.

    My mum taught me and passed down family recipes of other foods too.

    the first thing is, selecting lotus seeds (if u wanna make the lotus paste) else go traditional and use red bean...again...selections. until one passes this step, forget about producing really good mooncakes

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    The best one is the one my grandmother made.
    your grandma make mooncake?

    made of wat potions and animals?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Where's the best mooncakes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    your grandma make mooncake?

    made of wat potions and animals?
    Polyjuice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •